Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake light bulbs/options for more visibility (Read 253 times)
twkenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brake light bulbs/options for more visibility
09/12/08 at 10:55:37

Only having that little bulb in the  taillight makes me nervous...what are you guys using to attract more attention when you hit the brakes?

I like the license plate frames that are surrounded by high intensity LED's. Any experience with them? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Brake light bulbs/options for more visibility
Reply #1 - 09/12/08 at 11:26:28

My amber turn signals are also red run/brake lights:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1135649911

REALLY appreciated it when the filament failed in my stock brake light.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 09/12/08 at 11:29:48

added a aux brake light (LED) to my sissy bar (like a car's third brake light).    It was $9.99 at AutoZone.  I tied it into the brake light wiring under the seat.   Then I realized my backpack covered it up, so I added a connector (AutoZone also) and put another aux lite on the backpack.   I could get more lights & connectors and add them to whatever I want to carry.

Aux Brake light

Rear view
Backpack w/light
Backpack connector

EDIT:  the light is brighter than it appears in the photo's.  My camera auto-adjusts gain so it dimed it.  It is that annoying LED brightness.....

Also, since it is off when no brakes, then on when you apply brakes, it gives a high contrast.    Same idea behing car third brake lights.  Humans see contrasts, the more contrast the better, off then on.  I followed a Harley with the turn-sig's / brake light conversion and  after a little bit noticed that I could barely see the turn-signals as turn-signals (the blinking), which could be dangerous.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
twkenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/12/08 at 11:39:07

Paladin. wrote on 09/12/08 at 11:26:28:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1135649911

I saw those, but there is a note saying it will not work on 04 and up Suzuki models. Bummer!

IP Logged
twkenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 11:40:31

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 09/12/08 at 11:29:48:
added a aux brake light (LED) to my sissy bar (like a car's third brake light).    It was $9.99 at AutoZone.  I tied it into the brake light wiring under the seat.   Then I realized my backpack covered it up, so I added a connector (AutoZone also) and put another aux lite on the backpack.   I could get more lights & connectors and add them to whatever I want to carry.

Aux Brake light

Looks great. Thanks!

Rear view
Backpack w/light
Backpack connector

EDIT:  the light is brighter than it appears in the photo's.  My camera auto-adjusts gain so it dimed it.  It is that annoying LED brightness.....

Also, since it is off when no brakes, then on when you apply brakes, it gives a high contrast.    Same idea behing car third brake lights.  Humans see contrasts, the more contrast the better, off then on.  I followed a Harley with the turn-sig's / brake light conversion and  after a little bit noticed that I could barely see the turn-signals as turn-signals (the blinking), which could be dangerous.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/12/08 at 13:56:16

i have the "Lega-Lite"($45 ?) frame on mine..run and brake functions..there was no plate lumination tho the insid of the frame is plastic chrome i added 2 white leds for the plate cause the frame blocks out the bikes plate light..when im preping to stop i use the front brake lever to flash the lights,can hear the switch clicking if music isnt up too loud..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/12/08 at 14:47:16

I got the same deal as paladin. They have a different kit now that will work with MOST '04+ suzuki's. Im VERY pleased with mine. Hard to beat for $50.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #7 - 09/12/08 at 17:54:06

If you want a brighter brake light go to auto zone and get the #2397 stop/tail bulb. The tail light is about the same brightness as stock but the brake light filament is much brighter.. Quite noticeably brighter than the stock bulb!

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/13/08 at 01:20:07

Rustbucket wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:54:06:
If you want a brighter brake light go to auto zone and get the #2397 stop/tail bulb. The tail light is about the same brightness as stock but the brake light filament is much brighter.. Quite noticeably brighter than the stock bulb!

I tried that and went through two bulbs in two months. Brake light didn't fail, it was the tail light, of all things. It was brighter though, while it lasted. I went back to stock til I find the next thing I want to try.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 09/13/08 at 13:00:38

Paladin. wrote on 09/12/08 at 11:26:28:

Absolutely.  I have been very pleased with mine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/08 at 18:22:57

This is what I installed on my license plate frame.  Visible and Coool looking.  I also used the led license bolt fastners on all corners for added visibility.

http://www.customdynamics.com/videos/knight_riderz_video.htm

IP Logged
twkenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/13/08 at 20:14:35

flcruzr wrote on 09/13/08 at 18:22:57:
This is what I installed on my license plate frame.  Visible and Coool looking.  I also used the led license bolt fastners on all corners for added visibility.

http://www.customdynamics.com/videos/knight_riderz_video.htm

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 09/14/08 at 07:17:27

I find that the cloud of tire smoke I create when I hit the brakes, accompanied by the squall of skidding tires, gets everyone's attention pretty well.  No need for brighter lights.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #13 - 09/14/08 at 11:02:01

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 09/14/08 at 07:17:27:
I find that the cloud of tire smoke I create when I hit the brakes, accompanied by the squall of skidding tires, gets everyone's attention pretty well.  No need for brighter lights.

Now that's funny man, I don't care what anybody else thinks. Got a buddy down the road and everytime I pass, I try to squeal the rear tire just to see how many heads I can turn.

I installed a Sylvania direct replacement LED from Autozone for the tail lamp assembly. While it's not as bright as some of the OEM LED's out there, it is brighter than stock and in my mind more reliable.

Still looking for the license plate frame with the scrolling message board set-up.

IP Logged
Rock_Steady
YaBB Newbies

Get off my lawn!

Reply #14 - 09/14/08 at 15:07:07

Good....Bad....I'm the one with the gun.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:34:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake light bulbs/options for more visibility

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.