Send Topic Print
Squeeking noise (Read 117 times)
planimal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squeeking noise
09/11/08 at 14:18:07

Hello, I've got a bit of a problem. I've got a squeeking noise that is present whenever the engine is running. It almost sounds like change jingling in your pocket really fast. Opening the throttle increases the volume of the noise. I checked my valves and they're running to spec, and i've only got 400 miles on the oil. It sounds like it's coming from the muffler, but I don't believe that's where it is coming from. I know this is quite vague, but if any of you have any input that would be great.

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Re: Squeeking noise
Reply #1 - 09/11/08 at 14:21:07

If you have the stock muffler, you may be describing the muffler whistle. This is normal for the LS650. Some people say it sounds like and old VW exhaust.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
planimal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/11/08 at 14:28:51

I do have the stock muffler, but it wasn't innate to the bike. It showed up after I had let it sit in my garage for a month while I was at Ft. Lewis

Edit: The sound wasn't innate to the bike. The first 1000 miles were whistle free

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #3 - 09/11/08 at 15:20:19

Does it make the noise while standing still, or only when moving? From your description, it sounds like when standing still, so can't be belt squeak. How may miles on the bike?  

Maybe a mouse crawled up into the muffler  Cheesy

I would go over the bike carefully with the engine off and look for loose hardware, especially around where you think the sound is coming from.
Have the head bolts been torqued lately?  This needs to be done after the first 600 miles, then less frequently.

The fact that the noise started after sitting for a month is probably a clue, but short of something crawling into the exhaust or intake, I can't think what it might be.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/11/08 at 15:22:46

Try putting palm pressure on the speedometer.  Fixes are in the tech section.
If not that check the headlight.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 09/11/08 at 15:28:59

I agree with serowbot its most likely the speedometer its only held on with 3 weak ass springs - I had some round rubber bumpers layin around and stuck 2 of those under the springs.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
planimal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/11/08 at 15:50:28

I don't think it has anything to do post tranny. The noise is only present when the engine is on- i.e. idling, revving-, tried the palm pressure on the speedo, but it is definetely either coming from or travelling down the muffler. I checked the oil and it seems clear of debris.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/11/08 at 15:50:51

If its not the speedo, maybe something literally crawled in it. Have you had it up to full speed? Is it lower than before you parked it? Any discernable differance in performance? Have you checked the muffler connections for leaks? If you smoke, smoke blown gently around the muffler/header connection might show something. Maybe theres a dirtdobber nest in the exhaust? I bet whatever it is will clear up if you'll run it up to 125 or 130 MPH!!! Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
planimal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/11/08 at 16:24:36

I just listened to this sound clip and it is very close to what I am hearing. Definitely annoying and is going to need to be upgraded soon. Thanks for your input guys.

http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/LS650-stock.wav

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #9 - 09/12/08 at 09:44:08

I think my stock 07 sounds like that, only not as noticeable.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/12/08 at 10:18:05

planimal wrote on 09/11/08 at 16:24:36:
I just listened to this sound clip and it is very close to what I am hearing. Definitely annoying and is going to need to be upgraded soon. Thanks for your input guys.

http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/LS650-stock.wav

Aaaaaaaaa the famous VW whistle.......  remember the old VW Beetles' from the 60's & 70's.  They had that whislte too.

That has to do with the muffler internals , any type of soot build up or material breakdown for the heat changes the muffler from the Brand new tone.

The whistle happens at just over idle.  Most noticeable when riding close to a solid object like a wall, a tall curb,  a highway divider, etc etc.

My way of solving it.
see thread : Ain't whistling dixie no more..

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:17:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeeking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.