Send Topic Print
carb problem (Read 79 times)
sitkasavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

carb problem
09/11/08 at 16:50:45

I live in Alaska and bought a sight unseen (other than the one photo) 2005.  I was assured that work had just been done and everything was perfect.  Needless to say when I picked it up the salesman had failed to mention that it had been laid over and the turn signal was busted and foot peg is bent.  The manager of the dealership agreed to send me a new turn signal.

What really concerns me is that when I run with the choke closed (after its warmed up), it sputters and backfires going down the road, but it idles fine.

When I pull the choke out to the first click, it starts running just fine and doesn't backfire anymore, but it doesn't want to idle.

Where to I start to adjust for this problem?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: carb problem
Reply #1 - 09/11/08 at 17:01:48

Start with the carb. Pilot air screw is my suggestion. We don't actually have a choke on these bikes, it is an enrichener. So when you run it with the "choke" on, you are actually pouring more fuel through it.

If no carb work has been done to your bike the pilot air screw is located behind a brass plug on the right side of the carb (as you are sitting on the bike) You will need to drill out this plug very carefully then follow Lancers tune up guide located here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1157720585

Good luck.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 09/11/08 at 18:44:53

Hmmm... I'm struck by an idea.  I have family in Petersburg.  I wonder what it costs to put a motorcycle and a man on the ferry at Prince Rupert and ride to Sitka?  It would be an interesting trip.

I don't know how much road you have on the island, but getting there to take pictures of my Savage eating a grizzly would be cool. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/11/08 at 20:22:36

I'd clean the carb before you did anything.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 10:42:15

verslagen1 wrote on 09/11/08 at 20:22:36:
I'd clean the carb before you did anything.

Agree.

The spitting & sputtering is symptoms of lack of fuel.  By running the choke, the enrichener circuit gives you the fuel you need.    

Also check for any loose hoses (not including the two small carb vent hoses that only go up into the frame.)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.