Send Topic Print
Spark problem (Read 125 times)
jakealigatorman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spark problem
09/09/08 at 21:20:07

First time poster, but been using this site for some time.

Need a little help with and 87 I been working on (a lot)
It just recently decided to quiit running again and when I test for spark with the old pull the plug and hold it against the head routine, I don't get a spark, but when I pull it away, the spark arcs from the plug to the head. Not from the center electrode, but from the thread part of the plug. It's a new plug and I've checked for shorts in the wire.
Maybe the cdi box?

I would appreciate any input anyone can come up with.

Thanks all
Jake

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Re: Spark problem
Reply #1 - 09/09/08 at 21:39:34

I would:
check the gap, make sure its clean and compare it to a different new one to see if its a manufacturing defect. It'll just take the path of least resistance which might be you. Don't stand in a puddle when doing this test. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/09/08 at 21:39:40

Have you tried another plug? IF another plug works, then the new plug doesnt?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/10/08 at 11:33:24

Sounds like the problem my grandfather had every spring.  Might not be the same... but....

He use to winterize his lawn equipment himself.  Used StaBil.  He said they told him it was the best stuff.  Well, his train of thought was, IF a little Sta-bil was good, twice as much would be better.  Three times as much etc etc....

Well.....  come spring I would get a call to help him get the motor's running.    They fired a little then stopped.  Turns out,  too much of a good thing can be bad.  When the stuff burned, it created a conductive coating on the spark-plug.   Plug looked ok, nice & tan, but no spark.   So,  how did I find this out the first year,  similar method,  holding the plug against the block,  but....  then I OOPS and pulled away a little but and still had a little bit of skin on the engine cover and was too close to the metal of the plug,  while pulling the starter cord   Shocked   Boy did I jump......     Now I just take new plug over every year with a freash can of gas.  Old gas gets mixed into my tuck and his car.

So my suggestion , check the gas,  then run and get a new plug.  Nothing fancy, just a standard plug, they run 3 or 4 bucks.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 09/10/08 at 18:02:36

What T Mack says is true with many additives . Also are you useing any antiseze on the plug threads? If you are make sure you don't get any on your hands, fingers,or plug wrench it will transfer to the porcelin on the plug and that will short the spark to ground on the outside of the plug. If you think you got any antisez. on the inside of the plug wrench pull the rubber out of the socket and clean it before you use it again. Just a thought
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
jakealigatorman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/11/08 at 08:54:42

The bike was running, but now just wont for no particular reason. The plug is fairly new and isn't fouled. Fuel is clean with not aditives. I was thinking maybe the coil, but it is getting a spark, although not the way I need it.
Thanks for the help. I'll try to put a test meter on the coil to see if that isn't it.

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #6 - 09/11/08 at 15:24:00

I think it is a bad plug, because you have enough spark to jump from plug body to engine. This implies that the plug has a short, either some kind of buildup, or a cracked insulator.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
jakealigatorman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/13/08 at 20:15:04

Put in a new plug today and it fired right up. Guess I'll have to keep a spare on hand and change it every couple months.

I appreciate all the help.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/14/08 at 00:01:16

jakealigatorman wrote on 09/13/08 at 20:15:04:
Put in a new plug today and it fired right up. Guess I'll have to keep a spare on hand and change it every couple months.

I appreciate all the help.

Do your self a favor, next time you change your spark plug try a
"NGK iridium #2202" about $7 ,they last for a long time,mine has been in for two years now,I will change it the this winter.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
jakealigatorman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/14/08 at 11:16:19

Thanks mick, I'll give it a shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1