Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rejetting and MPG change. (Read 170 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Rejetting and MPG change.
09/09/08 at 08:28:25

All,

I have a non-calif '96 and I'm trying to figure a few things out with my jetting changes. Looking in Clymer's, there is a table that shows the stock carb's main jet size. I can't figure out my carb model to determine if it is the 145 or 155 main jet.

I have added a screenshot of the table in this posting.

For the moment, I am going to assume I have a 145 main jet as people seem to 'jet up' to get more power.

Based on average driving 60-70 MPH, and using the Lancer jetkit with 150, 152.5, and 155 main jets, and rough idea what the MPG change should be from one to the next, all the way down to the 145 I presumably have?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rejetting and MPG change.
Reply #1 - 09/09/08 at 08:54:34

How are you going to chart mild smile to buhaha?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/09/08 at 09:49:29

Far as I know,

125# is Cal. and some foreign countries
155# is the 80's 4 speed model
145# is non-Cal US 5 speed

Pilot jet will affect mileage most, unless you tend to jackrabbit.  The main and slide work mostly under low vacuum open throttle conditions.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #3 - 09/09/08 at 10:01:17

Serowbot wrote on 09/09/08 at 09:49:29:
Pilot jet will affect mileage most, unless you tend to jackrabbit.  The main and slide work mostly under low vacuum open throttle conditions.  

So, is it reasonable to put back my original pilot jet and still run with a 150, or a 152.5 main?
I have done the spacer mod to about 1/2 original spacer (using washers from the Lancer jetkit)

I did the original rejetting to get rid of the BIG BANG backfire. I like the additional power of the larger jets, but I still want to get rid of the backfire and retain fuel economy.

I would like to avoid taking the whole carb out again (ugh). I can mess with combinations of the pilot and main jets without removing the whole carb. Does the slide (spacer mod) affect mileage, do I need to revert that change to work on this?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/09/08 at 10:23:10

Depends on elevation and humidity, but generally staying with the stock pilot jet will help maintain good cruising mileage,.. best reduction of bang is with idle mix and higher idle speed.  Bigger main and slide mod will help acceleration up to a point,...To test the main, Accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.
Best of luck and ride safe,
Serowbot

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/09/08 at 22:06:45

Serowbot wrote on 09/09/08 at 09:49:29:
Far as I know,

125# is Cal. and some foreign countries
155# is the 80's 4 speed model
145# is non-Cal US 5 speed

Pilot jet is for up to 1/8 throttle or thereabouts.  I'd don't know how you ride but I give 1/2 throttle more or less up thru the gears and hold it there till I have to stop.  So pilot has the least effect on my gas mileage.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/10/08 at 11:23:49

verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/08 at 22:06:45:
Pilot jet is for up to 1/8 throttle or thereabouts.  I'd don't know how you ride but I give 1/2 throttle more or less up thru the gears and hold it there till I have to stop.  So pilot has the least effect on my gas mileage.

Taking off, you're sucking gas,.. but while cruising, the engine is at high vacuum, pulling the slide needle down into the jet passage,...so most of the gas is coming from the pilot circuit.  Spacing the needle increases that some, but the engine requires little gas to cruise at a steady 60mph.  
70+ for me, seems to start opening up the needle and then you're right,... it's on to the needle/main curcuit.

Here's a quote from Mikuni,
"Normal highway cruising speeds (65 mph/ 100 kph) require rather low throttle openings, generally less than º throttle. Air/fuel ratios in this throttle range are controlled by the pilot circuit together with the jet needle and needle jet. Thus, poor fuel economy at normal cruising speeds should be addressed by altering or adjusting these parts."

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/11/08 at 11:50:33

Serowbot wrote on 09/10/08 at 11:23:49:

Here's a quote from Mikuni,
"Normal highway cruising speeds (65 mph/ 100 kph) require rather low throttle openings, generally less than º throttle. Air/fuel ratios in this throttle range are controlled by the pilot circuit together with the jet needle and needle jet. Thus, poor fuel economy at normal cruising speeds should be addressed by altering or adjusting these parts."

thanks...... this is helpful...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:35:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejetting and MPG change.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.