Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1998 Savage LS650 Engine knocking (Read 430 times)
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1998 Savage LS650 Engine knocking
09/09/08 at 22:51:26

My savage is running fine but the engine is knocking very loud, this is happening all time. I thought this came from the valves, so I did the valves adjustment and it did not help.

So, I took it to motorcycle mechanic for him to look at the bike and see where the knocking coming from. What he was telling me that the sound come from when the piston hit the valves.

So, question then if this is the case, then the valve should have been bench and the engine should have loose compression and the bike should stall by now, why it is still running fine? he was saying that it probably just touch the valve. So, there are 2 ways to fix this;

1. Install a thicker cylinder head gasket and this might increase the clearance between the valve and piston which eliminate this knocking sound.
2. take the piston out and file it down a bit on where the piston hit the valve (must be file on both sides for balancing).

Does this seen logical to all of you and does any one have similiar problem like mine?

Thanks,

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: 1998 Savage LS650 Engine knocking
Reply #1 - 09/09/08 at 23:28:45

It sounds like the mechanic is an idiot.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #2 - 09/10/08 at 02:31:37

Does this mechanic work in a circus, wearing a lot of make-up, a curly red wig and long shoes?  
Because if you want to get quality advice like his again, I suggest you find another clown.

The Savage has a low-compression flat top piston and a low-lift cam, so the valves get nowhere near the piston. Even if you had a sticking valve (which you can’t have if the motor is running okay apart from the noise), you would fix the problem not do what this eejut has recommended.

Your noise could be one of several things.  If it is really a knocking rather than a tapping, then it may be a bearing – big end or little end of the conrod, or bad piston slap if your bore is damaged and/or broken ring, but you’d get bad running if this were the case.

If it’s a loud tapping rather than a knock, it could be a more common problem with the Savage, relating to the cam or cam chain.  The cam chain adjuster is a common problem, or oil feed to the top end could have been bad at some time (due to low oil) and your cam may have eaten deep grooves into the followers (but if you’ve checked the valve adjustment and it wasn’t way out, it’s probably not this).

If your engine is running okay apart from the noise, and it’s knocking, it’s a bearing.
If it’s a more tinny tapping noise it could be cam/followers, if it’s more rattly it could be the cam tensioner has failed – but generally this would end up in the bike eating metal and not running. Might also be worth checking the decompression mechanism.

I suggest you find another mechanic (don’t go back to this guy, because what he’s advised is beyond the realms of mere mortal incompetence – he’s up there with the demi-gods of buffoonery), and get a second opinion as to whether it’s a bearing knock or a top-end problem.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/10/08 at 06:24:37

Your mechanic's synopsis is preposterous. I agree with Kwak Nut and YonuhAdisi.

Although it doesn't really sound like it, you might want to check is the engine mount bolts. I had a loose one and the vibration was unreal.

Let us know when you solve the mystery.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/10/08 at 06:34:20

are you "lugging" the engine,too high a gear too soon my 06 knocks a bit

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/10/08 at 07:38:34

Stock engine?
How many miles?
Take that mechanic off your referral list.

Check the tightness of your bolts, sound can travel.
And check to see where the sound might be coming from.  
The headlight and speedo are known rattlers, put a hand on them to eliminate them.

Right side low, might be the cam chain.  There's a tear down procedure in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/10/08 at 11:59:58

Thanks for sharing. I did check all the bolt on the engine mount and they all okay.

It is stock engine and it has 14,850 miles on it.

I guess I will take ride this to Suzuki dealer and let them see what the problem is and give me a cost estimate. This will give me an idea of what is wrong with this bike.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 09/10/08 at 12:10:25

14,850? Then definitely check the cam chain tensioner.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/10/08 at 13:32:56

What ever they find, let us know.  We'll let you know if they're full of it.

And make them show you, don't except what they say.  Take pictures.  Measure how much the plunger is out.

WWW   IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/10/08 at 13:35:52

Let me look at the cam chain tensioner later today or tomorrow first and see there is problem there. Are you thinking that the chain is making the noise?

IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/10/08 at 13:37:27

Oh, by the way I post the same question on the motorcycle forum and I received response that might be the piston hits the cylinder head. Is this posible?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/10/08 at 13:48:57

That can happen, but only once & that could only happen after the connecting rod ceased to fulfill its obligation in connecting piston to crank. In short, if its running, this aint happnin.

Have you used a stethoscope/screwdriver with handle adainst bone at front of ear to generaly locate the area the sound is coming from? If not, you should.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/10/08 at 13:56:31

I don't know how to do that, but it is obvious the knocking/tapping come from the piston area. Since the piston move up and down so fast and the noise is louder when you increase the throttle.

IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/10/08 at 14:04:45

Anyone of you from Seattle area? I can take my bike to you so you can hear the sound  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 09/10/08 at 19:20:10

I'd call that mechanic back in the morning.  Tell him that you put more air in the tires.  This raised the bike higher, lessening the pull of the Earth's gravity, thereby allowing the piston to travel more freely.  Tell him the noise has gone away, but you appreciate his efforts and will send all your friends his way... as soon as they land in the mother ship.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 04:55:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1998 Savage LS650 Engine knocking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.