Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Foot gear shift went completely slack (Read 277 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Foot gear shift went completely slack
Reply #15 - 09/13/08 at 17:14:42

That nuts on each end,  I believe, are lock nuts.  You need to loosen those before the rod will come out of the shifter ends.  Remember that one is left hand threaded! (no, I don't know which end)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 09/13/08 at 17:25:28

Those nut you see are lock nuts.

I would think that one side is left hand thread, but don't know for sure.  Take a good look at the threads.

WWW   IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/15/08 at 13:37:27

Thanks for the help. Got the shifting rod back into place.

IP Logged
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Reply #18 - 09/26/08 at 07:24:11

yeah, I just had the same exact problem... I let a buddy ride my bike and he wrecked into a curb which slammed the gear shift, and bent the rod to hell...
I removed it by taking off the balljoint's connection to the gearbox, and then removing the rod by loosening the lock nut on both sides... it took me a few minutes to realize that the pitch of the screw connection to the gear shift is reverse... Once I got the rod off I just bent it back straight... I just ordered a new one and I'm waiting for it to replace... First gear still feels a little spongy and I hope it's not something wrong inside the gearbox...
From the wreck, he also broke the rear right taillight and bent the uppercasing of the right rear shock... so I a bunch of repairs to do...Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 09/26/08 at 19:04:39

UCFS40RIDER wrote on 09/26/08 at 07:24:11:
yeah, I just had the same exact problem... I let a buddy ride my bike and he wrecked into a curb which slammed the gear shift, and bent the rod to hell...
I removed it by taking off the balljoint's connection to the gearbox, and then removing the rod by loosening the lock nut on both sides... it took me a few minutes to realize that the pitch of the screw connection to the gear shift is reverse... Once I got the rod off I just bent it back straight... I just ordered a new one and I'm waiting for it to replace... First gear still feels a little spongy and I hope it's not something wrong inside the gearbox...
From the wreck, he also broke the rear right taillight and bent the uppercasing of the right rear shock... so I a bunch of repairs to do...Smiley

1st gear spongy...  I vaguely remember reading somewhere here that that is a adjustment of rod.    Try taking the foot pedal placement a little each way and see if one way helps.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Foot gear shift went completely slack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.