Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Foot gear shift went completely slack (Read 277 times)
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Foot gear shift went completely slack
09/06/08 at 14:06:32

I'm driving down the road, about to go down a very small hill and I need to downshift but my foot gear shifter has gone completely slack. Cant push it down, and if i reach really far, I pull it up with my foot, but there seems to be no connection with anything inside the bike. I had to make it the rest of the way home in 3rd gear. That makes stop and go traffic real tricky. Anyone know what might be the problem and how to fix it?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Foot gear shift went completely slack
Reply #1 - 09/06/08 at 14:19:18

Wagslick wrote on 09/06/08 at 14:06:32:
I'm driving down the road, about to go down a very small hill and I need to downshift but my foot gear shifter has gone completely slack. Cant push it down, and if i reach really far, I pull it up with my foot, but there seems to be no connection with anything inside the bike. I had to make it the rest of the way home in 3rd gear. That makes stop and go traffic real tricky. Anyone know what might be the problem and how to fix it?

My GUESS...  the shift linkage either broke or came off.   Get on your hands & knees (or on your back/side) and look.   A bright light helps, either a good flashlight or a trouble-light.   A blanket or rug is also helpful to make it more comfy.....

Report back please.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 19:44:11

The linkage could have vibrated loose. (Hope that's it) It's a small bar threaded on both ends. One end connects to the shifter, the other to the shift mechanism on the case. Each end features a nut to lock the bar in place. A 10mm box-end will take care of it. The nut on the shifter end is reverse threaded. Hope that's what's wrong. If so, it's an easy fix. If it's all still connected then.......... Undecided

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/06/08 at 20:45:58

Ok.... I got down on the floor and did a little investigating. Take a look at the picture. I've got some sort of broken linkage for the gear shift.  I'm pretty sure I can do this repair on my own except for trackin down that part. Does anyone know the name of that part or where I can order one? Thanks for the help. I wanna get back on the road SOON! Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/06/08 at 20:55:19

I have ni idea what they call it today, but if it costs over $10.00, tomorrow, they'd call it "Welded back TEWgether"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 21:00:52

methinks you have a heavy foot   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #6 - 09/06/08 at 21:23:25

I would think it would be called a gear shift rod and it would cost you five or six bucks. I can not give more details as you did not post the year of the bike.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
mattS40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/06/08 at 22:06:36

Its called the gear shift rod and is part# 25525-21E50 according to the mrcycles parts fiche. If you order it from them it costs 5.65 plus whatever they charge you for shipping. You can check it out a mrcycles.com

Good luck and hope you can get back to riding soon,

matt

Sorry its not a link, this is my 1st post and it wouldn't let me.

IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/06/08 at 22:51:42

After much pondering, I think i figured it out. Sometimes I forget what gear i'm in and while I'm approaching a stop sign I keep downshifting until I cant downshift any more. Probably trying to downshift when I'm already in first gear puts a little extra strain on that rod.

Anyway I found a place to buy the replacement rod. http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp I hope they ship quick. Or I may even try to make my own replacement. I have a kit that helps me figure out the pitch of the threads and thread the inside or outside of a pipe. We'll see if it works.

IP Logged
Just learning
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: seat
Reply #9 - 09/06/08 at 23:04:01

hey wags do u kno how to fix the seat my seat is old and the vinly is coming apart p.s. if u kno how plz let me kno

IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: seat
Reply #10 - 09/07/08 at 05:59:42

Just learning wrote on 09/06/08 at 23:04:01:
hey wags do u kno how to fix the seat my seat is old and the vinly is coming apart p.s. if u kno how plz let me kno  

Apply duct tape. Other than that I'd say get a new seat.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/07/08 at 06:03:30

Try some vinyl from the same store Gramma would go to to get material for making a new apron. How to secure it? I dunno if staples are okay or if glue is all you can use, but its covered now, so it can be done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/07/08 at 07:41:22

yup, marine vinyl and as staple gun is how I recovered mine.  search seat mods in the tech section.  there are a couple of good ones there.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 09/07/08 at 07:44:21

Here's the link I knew how to locate quickly:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1215910102

As Eanon said, there are others in the tech section you should read as well.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/13/08 at 17:00:50

Wagslick wrote on 09/06/08 at 20:45:58:
Ok.... I got down on the floor and did a little investigating. Take a look at the picture. I've got some sort of broken linkage for the gear shift.  I'm pretty sure I can do this repair on my own except for trackin down that part. Does anyone know the name of that part or where I can order one? Thanks for the help. I wanna get back on the road SOON! Cheesy
http://www.wagnersonline.net/brokenbike.JPG

I need some help doing some creative thinking. I got my gear shift rod in the mail yesterday and i've tried to replace it using pliers but I cant grasp the gear shift rod. Anyone have any ideas on how to grasp the gear shift rod as to twist it out of the stationary nut where it goes into. Ideas??

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:20:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Foot gear shift went completely slack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.