Send Topic Print
Cold and Misty (Read 148 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cold and Misty
09/05/08 at 11:10:21

It was cold and misty this morning in St. Louis when i rode to work.
I ran out at lunch and my 2007 S40 took three attempts to start and sputtered a few times. Never has done that before. guessing it has to do with the cold damp air. Has anyone identified areas where moisture easily gets in and disrupts either the electrical or fuel system?

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Cold and Misty
Reply #1 - 09/06/08 at 01:51:01

Search the forum. Humidity effects the carb. The folks here have done wonderful jobs in the past splainin' that. As for the eletrical side of the problem, I've not read of any particular weakness. Mines been in the rain, and run fine. It does seem to need the choke (enrichner) a little more in high humidity. There are so many factors that effect each individual bike; like how high above sea level, relative humidity, carb mods, and the like. It would be hard for any one person, I think, to diagnose without knowing more about your riding conditions and what's been done to the bike.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 05:14:59

Thank you Jay. I'm starting to believe I got bad fuel, water in it or somehting. I've ridden my bike in the rain before and didn't have this happen. Its rained so much in St. Louis the past two days (golf tourney rained out a day) that maybe the station i filled up at has a problem. actually, i've never gotten fuel at that station before now that I think about it. i'll see if it happens again before i worry.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 09/06/08 at 06:41:02

If it was a little cooler than normal, you may need to use a little choke...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 09/06/08 at 07:30:00

I live 8 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. Sometimes the fog creeps up and covers the bike. Brutal humidity. I start with choke all the time, even in summer.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 19:52:57

Water in fuel, yep; been there done that. I bought from two different Shell stations within a week of each other, and couldn't get my bike to run for anything. Sputtered, stalled (and at the worst possible times!) I still shy away from Shell gas for that reason. Unfair I know. There are people who swear by Shell gas; but everytme I pull into one of their stations, I just pull out again and go down the road. I just can't buy and feel good about it. Anyway, heavy rain can leech into the tanks at the station (any station) and find its way into your tank. Hopefully you'll get a tank of good "dry" Cheesy gas and that'll take care of the problem.
BTW, it's also a good idea to bypass a station when the tanker is there. Refillng the stations tanks can stir up all kinds of crap in the storage tanks, and end up depositing it into your tank.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/07/08 at 05:37:13

Can we use the red bottle STP Gas Treatment to fix H2O in gas tank of the Savage like we can use with our cages?

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 09/07/08 at 11:49:28

I use the STP gas treatment in the FireLizard every once in a while with no ill effects.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 09/07/08 at 11:53:21

Jay wrote on 09/06/08 at 19:52:57:
Water in fuel, yep; been there done that. I bought from two different Shell stations within a week of each other, and couldn't get my bike to run for anything. Sputtered, stalled (and at the worst possible times!) I still shy away from Shell gas for that reason. Unfair I know. There are people who swear by Shell gas; but everytme I pull into one of their stations, I just pull out again and go down the road. I just can't buy and feel good about it. Anyway, heavy rain can leech into the tanks at the station (any station) and find its way into your tank. Hopefully you'll get a tank of good "dry" Cheesy gas and that'll take care of the problem.
BTW, it's also a good idea to bypass a station when the tanker is there. Refillng the stations tanks can stir up all kinds of crap in the storage tanks, and end up depositing it into your tank.

Maybe other people's tanks, but not mine.   Wink

My external fuel filter and the removal of the internal screen all but guarantee that.   Grin

I will validate your statement though, I have found extra "carp" in the filter at times you've described.   Shocked

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold and Misty

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.