Send Topic Print
Engine cutting out. (Read 340 times)
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine cutting out.
09/03/08 at 05:31:19

On my way back from having new Dunlop 404's put on my bike my engine had a bit of a tantrum for a minute or so. I was going about 65 mph when I lost power and the engine bogged down. After 2 or 3 seconds it would clear up only to happen again 5 or 10 seconds later. All in all, it happen about 5 times. The rest of the trip home was fine. No more problems.  This is the third time that this has happened. (About a 3 or 4 weeks between episodes). I have tried SeaFoam, but I guess it must be something else. I remember somebody talking about a similar problem, but I can't remember who it was. I am curious if they ever figured out the problem?  Oh, love the new tires by the way.

Thanks....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine cutting out.
Reply #1 - 09/03/08 at 07:17:40

Next time it happens, switch to prime to see if it clears up.

Or replace the vac line, make sure to use clamps on both ends.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #2 - 09/03/08 at 14:54:11

verslagen1 wrote on 09/03/08 at 07:17:40:

Verslagen where do you find clamps that small? I changed my vac line out - didn't fix the problem but the old one was kinked pretty bad.

At the moment I am running on prime since I got tired of it cutting out. Runs  fine on prime so it;s obviously something with the carb.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/03/08 at 16:56:00

You can buy little rubber vac line caps at an auto parts store, or use a couple of short pieces of tubing with a golf tee stuck in the ends.
Neither of these is a permanent fix, (the rubber will rot) but can be used to test.

Oops! Littlebird, just reread your post, you can buy permanent metal vac line clamps at the auto part store too.  To clamp the tubing to the nipple,..right?...not to clamp the line off.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 09/03/08 at 18:33:28

Littlebird, welcome back.  I'd beg to differ with you on your previous statement.  If it runs on prime, I suspect it is a problem with the petcock.  If changing the vacuum line didn't help, it is likely a leaky diaphragm.  I had to switch my petcock for that very reason shortly after I got the bike.  It's also possible the main petcock screen is plugged, but if that's the case, it should run on reserve as well as it does on prime.

Sixty-five bucks and a half hour or so of fiddling and mine was a brand new machine.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/03/08 at 19:38:57

There is a difference to running on prime versus reserve.

In prime, a little finger operated by the lever, pushes the diaphram to the open position.  So if your diaphram is too hard for the vacuum to move it, the little finger will.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #6 - 09/04/08 at 02:18:13

Serowbot wrote on 09/03/08 at 16:56:00:
You can buy little rubber vac line caps at an auto parts store, or use a couple of short pieces of tubing with a golf tee stuck in the ends.
Neither of these is a permanent fix, (the rubber will rot) but can be used to test.

Oops! Littlebird, just reread your post, you can buy permanent metal vac line clamps at the auto part store too.  To clamp the tubing to the nipple,..right?...not to clamp the line off.

Yes Serowbot. It came with those ridiculously ineffective clips at each end that need to be changed to something that would seriously hold each end on the nipple.

I'll check the parts store this weekend. Thanks.

IP Logged
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/04/08 at 11:45:48

I pulled the vac line off. (at least I hope it was the vac line...(about 8 inches long, runs from the petcock to the carb?)). There was gas in it. I replaced it and took her out for a spin. About 5 minutes into the ride the bike started sputtering in 2nd gear and then killed. I switched the petcock over to prime, got it started, and it seemed to run much better. (I only rode it for another 10 minutes though). One other thing. I replaced the stock muffler with a Dyna muffler last week. I am noticing some popping and crackling moving through the gear changes. I know I need to rejet the carb, but could that be adding to or causing the problem? (I had the engine bog down twice before I switched mufflers though...)

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/04/08 at 11:52:57

ALittlebird wrote on 09/03/08 at 14:54:11:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/03/08 at 07:17:40:

Verslagen where do you find clamps that small? I changed my vac line out - didn't fix the problem but the old one was kinked pretty bad.

At the moment I am running on prime since I got tired of it cutting out. Runs  fine on prime so it;s obviously something with the carb.

They do make small hose clamps, but some here said you could use cable ties, you know telephone ties, zip ties, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/04/08 at 11:57:21

Doug A wrote on 09/04/08 at 11:45:48:
I pulled the vac line off. (at least I hope it was the vac line...(about 8 inches long, runs from the petcock to the carb?)). There was gas in it. I replaced it and took her out for a spin. About 5 minutes into the ride the bike started sputtering in 2nd gear and then killed. I switched the petcock over to prime, got it started, and it seemed to run much better. (I only rode it for another 10 minutes though). One other thing. I replaced the stock muffler with a Dyna muffler last week. I am noticing some popping and crackling moving through the gear changes. I know I need to rejet the carb, but could that be adding to or causing the problem? (I had the engine bog down twice before I switched mufflers though...)

Thanks.

If you got gas in it, you got a leaky diaphram.  big trouble.  you need to replace the petcock or convert to manual.

Until you can get it fixed, clamp off the hose to prevent gas from flowing via the vac line and run in prime.

Gas in the oil is a very bad thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/04/08 at 12:36:43

I looked over the petcock manual conversion, and it looks it its beyond my meager mechanical skills. So, I guess I will fork out the $70 for a new one. What is the best way to clamp off a vac hose? Do I plug the carb, the petcock, or both? (Oh...and what do I use to clamp it off?)

Thanks.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 09/04/08 at 12:43:11

Doug A wrote on 09/04/08 at 12:36:43:
I looked over the petcock manual conversion, and it looks it its beyond my meager mechanical skills. So, I guess I will fork out the $70 for a new one. What is the best way to clamp off a vac hose? Do I plug the carb, the petcock, or both? (Oh...and what do I use to clamp it off?)

Thanks.

Best to plug both ends.   Either find two short pieces of hose of same size or cut what you have and replace when you get the new petcock.  Then, take a small bolts that fit snugly into the hose, coat with some gasket selaer and push into the hoses to plug them.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/04/08 at 16:03:12

i'm going through this very issue right now. i'll be trying the 20 dollar petcock from a 2003 yamaha raptor 660.
it will strill have reserve and on but works without vacuum line

IP Logged
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/04/08 at 17:25:38

When I run it on prime, do I need to turn the valve to "reserve" or "on" when I shut it off?

IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/04/08 at 17:40:08

Quote:
When I run it on prime, do I need to turn the valve to "reserve" or "on" when I shut it off?

Yes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:45:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine cutting out.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.