Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It will start but won't stay running? (Read 87 times)
86 custom savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

It will start but won't stay running?
09/02/08 at 18:30:25

Thanks Savage Jedi for steering me to the right Forum, I'm a new to this.  I have a 1986 savage that was originally Cal. emissioned, no emissions now (I bought in boxes and put back together) the engine otherwise is all stock. I have been able to get it to fire up on starting fluid but it won't stay running, gas is getting to the carb from there I don't know. There are 5 lines coming off the carb [1-is fuel line, 1-is vacuum to the petcock, 2-I believe are bowl breathers, The last one I'm not sure. Could this be my problem or if you need more info to help please ask. I hope there is some help out there. :'(

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: It will start but won't stay running?
Reply #1 - 09/02/08 at 18:56:49

What happens as it shuts off?  how long does it stay running?

Your engine may be idling at a speed too slow to prevent a stall.  (It should be at about 1000-1200 rpm) After starting, try giving it just a smidge of throttle and holding it open.  If you don't stall out, you just need to up the idle using the throttle stop screw on the left of the carb.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 09/02/08 at 19:01:39

Bought bike with engine in pieces.....  welcome to the club  Grin

After you got it back together,  what did get for a compression reading???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
86 custom savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/02/08 at 20:01:30

I don't get a chance to shut it off, it seems like it runs out of gas. If i try to throttle up it just shuts down. The motor was in tact and still mounted in the fame but that was all, everything else torn down and taken off. It only runs for maybe 2 to 3 seconds.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/02/08 at 20:24:58

cap the extra vent, it's a tap to the gas recovery canister that you sh!t canned.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 13:55:59

hey there. There is a small hose between your cylinder head cover and your petcock. It runs from the right side of the engine to the top left. If this little hose with a long spring on it, is not connect to just behind your petcock, the bike will not idle for very long. My hose used to come off because I lost the clamp for it when I put the carb back in. goodluck, if not raise your idle speed as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:15:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It will start but won't stay running?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.