Send Topic Print
tire rubbing (Read 88 times)
Brad_Bowser
YaBB Newbies

I finally got the OK

Athens, GA
tire rubbing
09/06/08 at 07:21:15

I noticed yesterday that my rear tire is rubbing on a bolt in the rear fender and tearing up my tire. I thought maybe the bolt needed tightened, but it was as tight as it would go. Is it possible that I would need new rear shocks? I looked through the technical documents and couldn't find much. Any help would be great.

Big Bad Brad
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: tire rubbing
Reply #1 - 09/06/08 at 07:37:42

Is it an oversized tire?  You may have to get a bolt with a different head.  The first thing I'd do though, is try setting the shocks up a little.  It could be that you just have them set too low, letting your weight push the fender down on the tire.  I'm 185 lbs, and am running my shocks on the fourth notch.  That's with a slightly larger than stock Kenda Challenger on the back.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 07:39:56

check your rear axle alignment. spokes tight,rim straight
bike been down?
shock bolts tight?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/06/08 at 08:03:03

The bolt is one of the ones call "C" in the picture below that supports the guide rail on the side of your bumper -- it can be replaced with a stainless domed head allen screw or a "v" shaped flat head stainless screw from a local hardware store or if allen headed metric isn't available locally you can get it from the internet source mentioned below:

When you look under your fender you see that the available real estate has been encroached by some large protruding fasteners.  You can remove some of them and replace them with stainless steel flat head and pan head socket type fasteners from:

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=25&cs=82&cm=19&cd=1318

The list of possible replacement fasteners goes like this:

Item # C
Product #6698
Metric socket flat head screws, Stainless A-2,   8mm x 1.25 x 16mm
Quantity: 4 pieces
Price: $0.54
Subtotal: $2.16

Item # B
Product #6702
Metric socket flat head screws, Stainless A-2,   8mm x 1.25 x 35mm
Price: $0.73
Subtotal: $2.92

Item #A
Product #6657
Metric socket button head screws, Stainless A-2,  8mm x 1.25 x 25mm
Price: $0.96
Subtotal: $3.84

Item #D  Welded Nut
Shorten slightly with 4" grinder
Overmold (blend a hump) with JB Weld Epoxy
Paint with silver touch up paint

Item #E  (not shown) Mounting bolt for Right Buddy Peg
Shorten slightly with 4" grinder
Paint with black touch up paint

You will need to buy a HSS countersink to countersink the flat headed screws to be nearly flush to the sheet metal that they will retain.  Close to flush, but not completely flush.  You do want some metal there to clamp up to, right?

Go slowly here == making the countersink too deep & large means you won't hold the sheet metal in place and that is a classic "bad thing" when trying to hold stuff together with flat headed fasteners.

The main fender mounting bolts get replaced with shallow pan head fasteners instead of flat heads.  Why pan heads?  You got these protector bumps in the sheet metal and all you really need to do is get shorter than the bumps.  Pan heads are stronger than flat heads and the fender is a structural element that sees strong vertical vibrational forces and potential tire/fender impact forces.  It needs more fastener strength than the horizontal mounted gingerbread stuff that we flat headed for width clearance.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Brad_Bowser
YaBB Newbies

I finally got the OK

Athens, GA
Reply #4 - 09/06/08 at 12:15:01

I have had the tire (not oversized) for awhile with no problems. It is only rubbing on the left side and only just started recently. The tire seems to be aligned. I will see what the shock settings are. Is it possible for them to change while riding?

Big Bad Brad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 13:24:04

no, but your shocks can wear (droop) due to springs weakening and oil thinning out with age

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire rubbing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.