Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Side Cover Bolts, Seal the Threads? (Read 45 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Side Cover Bolts, Seal the Threads?
08/31/08 at 17:05:23

A couple of weeks ago I had to pull the left side cover. I used a new gasket and a light layer of ultrablue silicon for the reassemble, tightened the bolts up and now have a slight oil leak along the bottom side of the cover. I have checked the torque on all the side cove bolts and am now wondering if I should of sealed the threads on the bolts with a dab of silicon before putting it all back together. I did find one bolt that I was able to get a bit more on but don't think it was cause of the leak. The edge of the gasket is visable all the way around the side cover so I don't think it moved and is leaking. I can live with the leak but it gets on my nerve to have a leak after all the work of fixing the side cover and installing the new gasket. Whadda think, do the side cover bolts need to be sealed or don't they.  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Side Cover Bolts, Seal the Threads?
Reply #1 - 08/31/08 at 17:08:26

I have the exact problem with my right cover and the same circumstances. gasket, RTV sealer, and it leaks towards the bottom. Also I think the seal around the clutch lever in the right side cover is leaking. I would somebody replace that particular seal?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side Cover Bolts, Seal the Threads?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.