Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Cover Leak (Read 154 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Clutch Cover Leak
08/30/08 at 12:48:16

I am having troubles keeping the clutch cover from leaking oil at the seams to the crank case. I have replaced the gasket two times already, making sure not scratches or dings are in the sealing surfaces, cleaning it real good and stuff. It always starts leaking again after a few hundered miles, and at the same spot. When I had it apart I checked for any kind of surface faults and couldn't find any. It always leaks right in front of one of the bolts that holds the clutch cover on. It's the bolt right next to the front cylinder to crankcase nut, behind the oil filler cap. I meticoulusly torqued all the bolts with 13 Nm in a criss cross pattern in three steps. I am at my wit's end what to do anymore. Anybody else have a leaking clutch cover, or am I the only one here? I always use the OEM gasket, and there's additional sealant applied on the gasket in that area from the factory, but doesn't seem to work. There seems to be plenty of sealant, because when torqing down it squishes ot a tiny bit. My torque wrench is a real good one from Europe, brand is HAZET and was about $200 new. So I don't think this is the culprit. I even read that other people reuse the old gasket...how in the world do they keep it dry??? Any ideas?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch Cover Leak
Reply #1 - 08/30/08 at 17:54:19

I believe a gasket can be soaked in oil & then used. I havent done it, but I think its okay. IF Yours is leaking in the same place, every time, then I would use a straight edge to inspect the parts. If there is a gentle enough "swoop" in something, maybe you cant see it, or feel it. Maybe slapping the clutch cover on it, without a gasket, just to see how it fits, would be a good idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 08/30/08 at 18:25:50

That sucks.  I put mine on by tightening from bolt A all the way around to bolt Z, using a worn out ratchet and guessing at how tight they should be.  Hasn't leaked a drop.  I used NAPA gasket goop instead of a paper gasket though, so maybe that takes up any slack.  Good luck getting her sealed up.

Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/30/08 at 18:49:58

Once you figure out that the case is or isnt warped, remember. Follow the instructions on applying the sealer,Use the recommended sealer &
Let it get tacky before slapping the sidecover on,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 08/30/08 at 20:20:03

As you  probaly know, a mirror or similar piece of glass is one of the best tools to check the trueness of the edges.  Good luck should you have to redo it again.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/31/08 at 06:02:49

So seems like I am the only one with a leaking clutch cover. Weird

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 08/31/08 at 07:07:16

Are you sure you are holding your mouth right when you tighten the bolts?  It doesn't work unless you stick the tip of your tongue out and thingy your jaw to one side.  I'm of the belief that not holding your mouth right is the cause of most mechanical failures that people experience.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/31/08 at 09:50:27

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/31/08 at 07:07:16:
Are you sure you are holding your mouth right when you tighten the bolts?  It doesn't work unless you stick the tip of your tongue out and thingy your jaw to one side.  I'm of the belief that not holding your mouth right is the cause of most mechanical failures that people experience.

Grin Grin Grin That was GREAT!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 08/31/08 at 18:22:02

Glad you enjoyed it.  I see the censor screwed it up a little.  You are supposed to, ummm... calk your jaw to one side. Smiley

Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 08/31/08 at 19:18:21

Hey I bet that's why my left side cover is leaking, I didn't stick my tongue out when torquing up the bolts. Good one Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/31/08 at 22:34:46

I recently put a new timing chain tensioner in,I used a new gasket,I didn't have any kind of gook so I used vasaline,it's what we always used when I was a kid,and low and behold it still works,oh and I also use the tongue between teeth and jaw c0cked to the side,I don't own a tork wrench,or a tork spanner for that matter.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 09/05/08 at 10:15:19

The leak miraculously almost stopped by itself. Hardly getting moist anymore evan after a 240 mile roundtrip. Hope it stays that way. Makes me not wanna check on the tensioner anymore at all, because I don't wanna mess with it again.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 09/05/08 at 10:40:36

ralfyguy wrote on 09/05/08 at 10:15:19:
The leak miraculously almost stopped by itself. Hardly getting moist anymore evan after a 240 mile roundtrip. Hope it stays that way. Makes me not wanna check on the tensioner anymore at all, because I don't wanna mess with it again.

Good to heard..... if it comes back,  take a look at the bolts.  If I recall correctly there are different lenght bolts and if you put a long bolt where a shorter bolt should go you may bottom out before getting tight.  

How do you know if you messed up..... well, when putting the boilts in, the bolts all can be pushed in so far then you start threading then in.   Well, they should all be sticking out about the same amount at the hittting the threads point (this was a tip from Savage Greg)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/05/08 at 10:47:49

Also, three of the bolts that hold the cover on have "gaskets" (rubber washers).  The others do not.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 09/05/08 at 11:25:09

As I recollect there is also a dowel tube in that area. If it is hand made, or there is some old gasket at the bottom of either side of the oversize hole, it cold be slightly standing off the cover from the case. I think that is one of the ones with the required plastic/rubber combo washer under it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cover Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.