sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Footpegs
08/28/08 at 14:27:09

I like these o-ring footpegs.

http://www.southerncycleparts.net/FootPegs.html

In trying to find out if they'll work on the Savage, I found this auction that bores a bigger hole in (what appears to be) these same footpegs to make them work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=ST...

A few questions;

~Will these actually work on the Savage?  Because in looking at the stock footpegs, they have a little arm that stops them at the proper angle.   These do not have that arm/extention.

~We can bore the hole bigger ourselves, but the ad for the footpegs from Southern Cycle Parts calls this a "o-ring passenger hi-way male set."  They look the same as the auction ones, but again, will they work?  I'm looking for drivers o-ring type footpegs, if anyone can offer me any tips at all.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Footpegs
Reply #1 - 08/28/08 at 14:48:38

I bought these: http://www.betterbikeparts.com/bbp-store/bmy_search.php?prevbrand=11&in_categ.... They have the hook, and a few extra washers that you'll need. The website is kind of a dropship place. I called in my order and they arrived pretty fast. After the install, don't forget to check them once in a while. They tend to get loose.

FSO
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 08/28/08 at 15:04:15

By the way, they are the same style as the picture but not exactly. They do have everything you need.

FSO
  IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/28/08 at 16:45:12

If they bore it out to the right size it will work.  I bought some nearly identical male mounts to replace the Kuryakan ones I snapped off (oops!).  They were $20 bucks online from DennisKirk.com and were advertised for a HD.  I took them to my brother's machine shop and they drilled out the extra .01" or so to make them fit.  Once installed, they may tilt forward slightly or have a bit of wiggle, depending on the fit.  But for $20, it beat paying $120+ for the customs, or $60 some (i think) for the OEMs.  And you can always jury rig a couple metal and/or rubber shims to hold it firmly in place if it bothers you.  Good Luck & Ride Safe!

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 08/28/08 at 17:16:51

Hey SMG, I've installed some of those style a couple of times, and they work alright if you get the hole drilled nice and tight. The angle isn't perfect, but if the holes are drilled/filed sloppy then the pegs are wiggly/floppy and don't hang right!

I found for just a bit more money that I much preferred the "Mega Pegs"

But they have to be drilled out and fit the same way as the o-ring type.

Notice that I moved the o-rings to the rear. They don't want to stay folded up back there; but that's ok by me, as I ride with my feet back there a lot on the highway.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 08/29/08 at 08:00:17

Sockmonkeygirl - those pegs are really passenger pegs as you can see from Rockin_John's photo. I had a similar set for my old Harley. You may want to look at beefier pegs.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #6 - 08/29/08 at 09:36:54

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I still like them, they match my highway pegs.   Undecided

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 08/29/08 at 10:06:11

Photo was an overall of the oil leak, but you can see the peg I bought from better bike parts: .

With the condition of the roads here, I spend a lot of time on these pegs. So far, they're holding up very well.
If photo doesnt load, here's the link: http://bikepics.com/pictures/1400899/

FSO
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #8 - 08/29/08 at 17:53:16

anyone know if any Kuryakyn pegs will fit or what you have to do to mount them?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 08/29/08 at 18:17:54

ed daugherty wrote on 08/29/08 at 17:53:16:
anyone know if any Kuryakyn pegs will fit or what you have to do to mount them?

Kuryakyn Duallys are a popular choice,  and they are offset which gives a little more leg room. I'm thinking of them for my S40. Looks like a simple clamp-on mount to the frame or OEM guard.

Here's a link

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=26&Category_ID=0&manufa...

Ess

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #10 - 08/29/08 at 19:36:39

Kuryakyn sure is proud of their products!  they are pretty nice.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 08/29/08 at 19:52:33

Hey SMG, I have those same oring pegs on my Savage. You can buy them at your local Harley dealer and you shouldn't have to pay more than $22. I Drilled mine out using a buddy's drill press. I believe it requires a 13/64ths drill bit if I recollect. It's not that hard to do. Mine also match the ones I have on a highway bar. They don't flip up too far so don't go scraping them too hard.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 08/29/08 at 20:08:02

I wondered why my front pegs dont fold up and are a little loose!!

Learn something new everyday Roll Eyes Wink

I thought the PO had changed them but then again I had nothing to compare them to.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/31/08 at 22:14:40

Kuryakyn pegs will fit but they usually don't have an end on them. You will  have to buy the adapter to fit. I just got some really nice ones on Dollar Rider.com. They are having a sale right now. I bought the large ISO style. For both the pegs and the adapter (with shipping), I paid $50. The adapter has a little set screw on the end that you can unscrew a bit so that you have the little tab on the end to catch and keep them level. That also means that they can be used on other bikes too, just in case you want to switch them up. Can't wait to get them.

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #14 - 09/03/08 at 13:13:01

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 08/29/08 at 19:52:33:
Hey SMG, I have those same oring pegs on my Savage. You can buy them at your local Harley dealer and you shouldn't have to pay more than $22. I Drilled mine out using a buddy's drill press. I believe it requires a 13/64ths drill bit if I recollect. It's not that hard to do. Mine also match the ones I have on a highway bar. They don't flip up too far so don't go scraping them too hard.  Cheesy

Are you pretty sure about that drill size?  (13/64)  Thanks!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:40:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Footpegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.