Send Topic Print
Battery (Read 94 times)
CP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery
08/26/08 at 19:35:42

It seems to me that I have to replace the battery every 3 years (I've had my bike for 10 years). The latest one when I took out, it's all dry, acid is gone, and the case is a bit ballooned up!!! What's the problem there? Is it because the battery is located too close to the engine so when the case is popped out so the water (mixed with acid) evaporates completely? Also, I do not ride my bike in winter (Chicago) and I don't disconnect the leads from the battery, is it bad not doing that?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Battery
Reply #1 - 08/26/08 at 19:42:56

Probably self discharged and then froze unless it was in a heated garage/storage unit. I'd recommend the AGM and just disconnect the negative (-) cable for storage as they self discharge very little in 3 months. One of the big advantages of them.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
CP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/26/08 at 20:17:41

Disconnect the positive side would be easier!!!  Smiley

I already ordered a new EBC battery online for $38.50 (shipping included)

Anyway, I did a little research here and found out that the old battery would work if I filled up the battery with distilled water. I'm going to do that tomorrow and see. I do have a charger though

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 08/26/08 at 23:20:11

If your old battery is swelled, I would not use it, get a new one.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/27/08 at 06:08:26

ALWAYS disconnect the Negative lead first. It is safer.You can create a spark by shorting the tool to the frame. Potential Big Bang, & NO, it wont create a new universe, it just makes a mess & could sling stuff on YOU.
I've seen automotive battery switches, to disconnect the battery with the flip of a switch. Considering the current requirements of the starter, I'd say this would be easy enough to do, BUT, since ther's no clock, thers no drain on the battery, even if its hooked up. I would have a battery tender if I lived that far North, But, if I didnt have a Big Crank style battery, I would have to be able to check & maintain electrolyte levels, in a Low Hassle manner.

If I lived up North, Id have to have a Big Crank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/27/08 at 09:08:29

Battery swell can be caused by a bad cell (shorted) then the battery boiling the acid/water away.    Or a bad voltage regulator.

You need to have the charging system checked!!!!!  A shorted cell can damage things, and a bad regulator will KILL the next battery farily quickly.

3 years for a MC battery is not too great, but could be worse.... and of course ... could be better.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/27/08 at 10:12:51

I have noticed the same situation with both of my Savage engines.
I am speaking of low liquid levels. Both of my engines charge at voltages in the high fourteens. This is enough to boil away some of the water. If not remedied by occasionally adding water, the battery will run dry and fail.
Swelled battery can be caused by two things. either it was in very cold weather in a discharged condition, the water will freeze and expand, usually breaking the case. Then when it warms, this water drains out onto bike parts causing corrosion.
The other possibility is heat due to over charge can cause the plates to warp and short out, also swelling the battery.
In both cases, replacement is the proper cure.
In the second case, maybe also check to see if the voltage regulator is working correctly.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:50:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.