Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Potential problem? (Clutch) (Read 92 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Potential problem? (Clutch)
08/26/08 at 11:43:13

For the past few weeks, I have been noticing my clutch exhibit periodic strange behavior  … awhile back, I had trouble engaging neutral prior to a start after Bike had been laid up for a week without being started … the Bike had been parked in 1st gear and usually, pulling in the clutch lever and a gentle tug up from 1st will engage neural (most every time) … this time the gear lever wouldn’t budge and even pushing/pulling the Bike wouldn’t free it. I then kept clutch lever pulled in and started the Bike while it was still in 1st … this produced a bit of a “thrashing” sound, but the Bike quickly settled into its normal idling cadence. Never gave it no more mind, as the Bike ran & shifted fine. However, within a few days I have noticed, that as I am approaching my driveway from the street (which has a slight upward slope and usually contains my wife’s car around which I have to navigate) and pull in clutch as I brake and downshift to 1st, feathering clutch to maintain forward momentum sometimes produces an audible “klack”, which disappears as soon as clutch fully engages and I give it some gas or if I completely disengage clutch by quickly pulling in lever. This also sometimes happens during similar slow-speed maneuvers … Bike seems fine otherwise and clutch is showning approx. 3.0mm of "slack" at lever pivot per Clymer recommendations …
Wonder if some of our resident “Wrenchers” might be able to shed some light on this … might I be headed for a potential problem ... don't recall my previous '03 Savage exhibiting this behavior?

2005 stock S40, bought used with 980kms (608mi) on the clock, now 2200kms (1370mi) … oil & filter changed at 1600kms (994mi). Oil Level OK, Riding Style = easy

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Potential problem? (Clutch)
Reply #1 - 08/26/08 at 12:20:37

Other than the fact that you noticed it as different, and you're not new to the Savage, I'd say the symptoms sound fairly normal and are of no concern.  Bike transmissions don't like to be shifted when not in motion, and clunking into first is normal.  Shifting without the engine running is always difficult.
And your bike is awfully new to have such a problem.  Could you just be noticing something that you hadn't noticed before?

One trick, is to release the clutch lever completely and pull it in again, it will usually slip right into gear then.
Hope that helps...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 08/26/08 at 12:46:34

Doesn't sound too normal to me.  Rolling the bike to get from first to neutral shouldn't need extra lever pressure once the gears align loosely.  And I've never heard a klacking sound while slipping the clutch.

I have no real advice to give, but if it were me I would be inclined to take a peek inside.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 08/26/08 at 13:29:03

Moofed wrote on 08/26/08 at 12:46:34:
Doesn't sound too normal to me.  Rolling the bike to get from first to neutral shouldn't need extra lever pressure once the gears align loosely.  And I've never heard a klacking sound while slipping the clutch.

I have no real advice to give, but if it were me I would be inclined to take a peek inside.

"Peek inside"  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked....  to look at the tranny means splitting the case.... means full overhaul...  Tongue

Perry, by gear lever .... do you mean the foot gear shift lever?  Was it parked on an incline????   I'm wondering if it wasn't fully in 1st....

One possiblity ...  The klack may be due to the newer clutch,... that doesn't slip as much or has more clutch material so it isn't "opened" as much as an older clutch.  So the meshing of going into first might be more noticeable ..... What speed are you going when you try to pop into first???    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/26/08 at 14:08:56

What oil are you using?

I definitely notice a diference between 40 and 50 wt.
You have a low mile bike, so shouldn't be any major (cam chain) issues.

But, if this continues, I would certainly concider taking off the covers and going fishing for loose bits in the oil sump. (take a measurement of the plunger while you're there, we all want to know what the plunger measures on a low mile bike)

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 08/27/08 at 03:33:28

Thanx for the replies folks ... am going to continue to run it like it is for the time being and make note of any changes in how the Bike runs/behaves/performs ... hoping not to have to go into the engine case as the Bike is such a low-milage machine ... if it comes to that however, I'll be having an m/c mechanic friend of mine have a look at it next spring.
As I mentioned before, my '05 S40 was purchased used from a lady who hadn't ridden it in over a year ... I don't think the Bike was properly stored, just put away ... when I pcked it up with 980km (608mi) on the clock, it still had the original oil in it ... I immediately Rode the thing 550km (340mi) on the highway to home (without a hitch I might add), where the next day I did an oil/filter change right away ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:02:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Potential problem? (Clutch)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.