Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing gas tank question. (Read 157 times)
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Removing gas tank question.
08/24/08 at 09:19:03

I have an 05 S40 and it has about 5k on it.  I have never checked and/or replaced the plug.  I was thinking about replacing it but if the tank has to come off, then I want to put in a platinum tipped spark plug or performance one on.

How hard is it to remove the tank on the 05?  Is it one that you have to jimmy off with two people or can I do it on my own?  Other than unbolting it, what wires or gas line connections etc... are there that I need to take off first so that it will come off?

Is is worth putting a better plug in anyway?  The only thing that this bike has is the drop in kn filter and the screw out about 1 1/4 turns.

The other thing I do not understand is my bike consistently reaches 90 with no problem and sometimes 95.  With the better filter and screw only it does this.  It also does this in temps well above 95 most of the time.

People always mention that they cannot get their's over 80-85 and I don't get it.  Mine has had few if any mods and I can do it.  Would a better plug give better top end or just better acceleration.  I would think on an engine this small even a better plug would make a noticeable difference.

What do you guys think?

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Removing gas tank question.
Reply #1 - 08/24/08 at 09:37:29

Due to mfg tolerances, all bikes are a little different.
I can get mine off by lifting the back and pushing to the left.
once you get it loose, there's an electrical connection for the speedo lights in front and Calif. models have a vent hose to the rear.
1st time, someone to help will make it easier, but you can do it yourself.
All bikes aren't parked in the same spot, so tuning them will be different.  I have a stock airfilter and a supertrapp with a 150 main, I reach 90 w/no problems too.
I don't think a plug can add anything unless something is seriously wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 08/24/08 at 09:39:09

My gut tells me you need to check your speedometer's calibration, but who knows?  Maybe you got lucky.

As for the tank, one guy can get it off no prob.  Unhook the speedo cable at the transmission end.  Be careful not to lose the rubber washer inside the nut when you take it off.  Unhook the vacuum and fuel lines from the carburetor.  Once you lift the tank off, there is one wiring plug to disconnect.  If your bike is a California model, there will also be a rubber hose coming from the front right side of the tank that will need to be unhooked as well, once the tank is lifted.  

In order to get the petcock past the frame, twist the tank slightly so the rear moves to the left side of the bike.  Then just lift the rear and pull back slightly until the sockets in the front come off the rubber bumpers.

As for the platinum plug, I can't help you.  I just run the good old champion in mine.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 08/24/08 at 10:28:59

Selecting the wrong spark plug can lead to nothing but trouble unless you are really operating the engine under distinctly different loads and temperature ranges than Suzuki anticipated. Pick the wrong heat range and you can sieze a piston, damage the crown or end up with scored cylinder walls.

Some people think that a "hotter plug" is a good thing for a bike that is run WOT all the time, as if it will improve combustion somehow or raise the power. In fact.  hotter plugs should be chosen for low temps, low engine loads and low speed operation. If you plan to run her wide open in the desert, look for a colder plug. The idea is to strike a balance between being so cold you get deposits, and so hot that you damage the interior or get preignition.  

If you inspect your plug and it is a nice light tan color, you've got the right plug and don't mess with it. There are a lot of other ways to get better performance out of your S40 than to change plugs IMHO.  Smiley

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/24/08 at 11:15:12

The electrical connector under the tank ( on mine) was a handful to get apart. I dobbed a bit of antisieze on it, so now it's not such a hassle.
######################################
Where the plug sits can harbor dirt & crud. It should be blown clear before pulling the plug.
########################

The Spark PLug Door mod pays dividends quickly. & it;'s really easy to do.

The tank mount rubbers are pretty tight & a bit of lube helps them slip back in.

Sounds like yours is running above average. Not sure I'd mess with that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/24/08 at 11:19:55

On the speedo cable,don't worry if there is no O ring (rubber washer) they do not have them when they leave the factory,I've never had one and I have never had a problem.
90 mph ? I would get your speedo calibrated.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/08 at 14:20:24

Mick,
glad to read your post,  I don't have a washer or o-ring on my speedo cable, and every time someone mentions "don't loose the o-ring..." I think, "darn, forgot to replace that again".  I didn't think I lost it, now I am sure I didn't.

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #7 - 08/24/08 at 17:39:16

My '06 would do almost 90 stock. With the Dyna muffler and rejet, she'll get to 95 before I run out of road or nerve. No tickets in years. Don't want to have to explain this one. Now with the bigger rear tire,  she'll cruise virtually vibration free between 70 and 75. Need to pace the wife in the car some time and check speedo calibration. I just replaced my plug at 8500 miles. When your only plug starts missing it's not hard to tell. I put an NGK iridium plug in. The few extra dollars for one plug was worth it to me . Can't tell any difference in performance but the extra longevity will make up for the extra dollars.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #8 - 08/24/08 at 18:37:38

What's this spark plug door mod some of you are talking about?
Nevermind, I found it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1124016763

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Reply #9 - 08/25/08 at 10:46:55

I actually have had my speedo calibrated a little on the unprofessional side.

I have paced a buddy in his car doing 90 and I showed about 90-91.  I was able to get it up to 95 with on winds and a warm but not hot day and then tried the same thing behind a friend on the same day and my speedo was showing about 95 and that was what he was going.

My bike just must be a freak of nature.  I think I am not going to mess with the tank to replace the plug as it appears that it is doing awesome for what little I have done to it.

Great thanks to all of you.

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing gas tank question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.