Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help on front brake! (Read 93 times)
jiggadude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help on front brake!
08/23/08 at 11:53:26

Hi guys,
I just replaced new brake pad last night, after taking the old pad out i pushed the piston in but it didnt move, so i opened the breeder and push it piston in. After than i was going to fill the fluid but it looked so drity and old , so i took the whole master cylinder off and cleaned it wiht brake cleaner spray. After than i put everything bake on the bike and starting breeding the fluid and been doing for over half an hour but didnt get and presure on the lever, it is soft, soggy, like nothing at all.
The cable and everything looks fine, no leaks issue, even disconnected the brake cable and pumped the lever, fluid flows normally. On my Yamaha Virago i took only about on 2-3mins before feeling the presure at brake lever.
I dont really know what is wrong with the bike rightnow. Pleaseeeee help me out guys!
Thanks so much

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Need help on front brake!
Reply #1 - 08/23/08 at 12:09:07

They are a pain  to bleed.If you have a 1 man bleeder or any type of suction device(even put a hose on the bleeder,and suck on it to get vacuum)just enough to get fluid through the line.Get vacuum in the hose then crack open bleeder.Repeat as necesarry.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/23/08 at 18:25:54

If you've drained all the fluid out of the master, it's a pain to get it started again.

I think I put the palm of my hand over the resevour and applied pressure while pumping.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 08/23/08 at 20:32:13

Here's an old-school way to bleed the master cylinder:

Grab you an absorbent rag you don't care about.

Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid.

Look at the inboard side of the master cylinder assy.  You'll see a banjo fitting.  Pump the brake lever a few times and then keep it held in all the way.  With the rag wrapped around the banjo fitting, loosen the bolt on the fitting a bit.  You should see some brake fluid spurting out around the banjo fitting.  Holding the front brake lever fully closed, re-tighten the bolt.  Slowly release the lever.

Repeat until you don't see any more bubbles coming out around the banjo fitting when you have the lever squeezed in.

You may need an assistant to help you perform this procedure.

DON'T let the reservoir go too low on brake fluid.  DON'T let any brake fluid drip onto the bike.  If it does, clean it quickly with soap and water.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
jiggadude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 23:28:47

Thanks you all for the info.
Then, this means i need to keep bleeding the fluid? This sounds normal for you guys? Im not screwing it up?
Thanks

« Last Edit: 08/24/08 at 02:57:36 by jiggadude »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/24/08 at 06:20:03

Apparently, when the master cylinder( m/c) gets emptied & the fluid gone from just below the reservoir, it doesnt want to prime back up & pump. The suggestions have offered ways to drive fluid back into that area, so fluid will be pushed when the lever is squeezed. It might also be possible to remove the hose from the calliper & hold it high & fillit, using a syringe. It wouldnt have to be Full, just enough to put fluid under the M/C. A good stiff wire & some tape would allow you to mess with it & not need to ask the wife to come out & help. I would think that just the slightest pressure on the fluid in the M/C would be enough. Maybe a rubber glove taped on the M/C & blown up some?  Lots of ways to skin this cat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:48:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help on front brake!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.