Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain conversion and Schwinn speedo... error (Read 118 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Chain conversion and Schwinn speedo... error
08/22/08 at 21:39:19

Hey folk, finally got my 17:43 chain conversion on, and after a couple hundred miles with it in town and on the highway I couldn't be happier with it!  I went with the steep 17:43 instead of the lower 17:45 despite my 250+ weight; because I was pretty sure the thumper could handle it on takeoff, and I wanted it to putt along nice and lazy on the highway. All has worked out just fine so far, and I don't see any problem loading another 50 pounds of gear for traveling (which I usually go pretty light on what I haul when traveling).

I went ahead and splurged on a cheap eBay o-ring chain and ended up with a bit over $100 in the conversion. On top of the conversion I've just added new tires and maxed out the rear tire size.

Now I'm awaiting my National Cycle 4.5mm Dakota windshield and I'll be about halfway home to a long haul road version of the Savage!

One thing still has me vexed though: In an attempt to keep my speeds reasonably legal, I added a Schwinn digital speedometer, and it seems to be good up to about 40-mph or so; then the readings go all whacky.

It never ever shows anything over 60mph, like it is stuck in the high 50s even when I'm passing everything on the expressway... (probably running 80mph).  I don't know what to think, I've moved the magnet and pickup around a couple of times, and triple checked the math on my wheel diameter input, and nothing seems to help? Anyone have a clue as to what I might be doing wrong? Or maybe I go a bad speedometer unit?

TIA to anyone who can help with the speedo!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Chain conversion and Schwinn speedo... error
Reply #1 - 08/22/08 at 21:51:30

Is it reasonably accurate up to it loses it?

My guess, move the magnet closer to the pickup or get a stronger magnet.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 08/22/08 at 22:07:09

verslagen1 wrote on 08/22/08 at 21:51:30:
Is it reasonably accurate up to it loses it?

My guess, move the magnet closer to the pickup or get a stronger magnet.

I don't know how accurate it is at lower speeds... just guessing I'd say it is reading slow at low speeds.

I can't get the magnet much closer, it's within about 1/8" now... Maybe I will try the stronger Rat Shack magnet thing, but I don't think proximity is the problem. Dunno though, I'm at a loss.  Huh

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 08/22/08 at 22:14:37

Mabe check the wire for dammage. Its thin and could be dammaged easily.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 02:09:53

This may sound obvious, but what is the range of that Schwinn speedo?
If it never goes past 60, maybe it's because it can't!!!
I know the Sigma's will (at least mine did), but that doesn't say all of them go that high.
After all.. when was the last time you saw a bicycle doing 40mph?

Besides that, the suggestions made by others are good ones.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 08/23/08 at 05:52:37

youzguyz wrote on 08/23/08 at 02:09:53:
I know the Sigma's will (at least mine did), but that doesn't say all of them go that high.

Uhh... Yeah I checked that before I bought it!  Cheesy

Supposed to be good for 99.9kmh or 99.9mph depending on setting.

I'm gonna try the "bigger magnet" theory; because I don't know what else to do. If that doesn't work, I'll take it back and tell them it is defective.  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/23/08 at 07:02:21

youzguyz wrote on 08/23/08 at 02:09:53:

I have done at least twice, once in a group ride (100 mile round trip, the posted speed was 40, chippies pulled us over gave us a warning) and once solo for an hour (yep one L of a tail wind)  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/23/08 at 07:04:19

When I first mounted my Schwinn speedo, it would read up to 80 or so (as fast as I had taken it to that point) no problem.  Then I switched the front wheel and remounted the magnet.  Now it does exactly what you are describing at about 75 mph.  I had trouble mounting it on the new spokes, which are a little thicker and slicker.  I think it's placement of the magnet.  One of these days, I'm going to try a stronger magnet.  I think that will do it.  Let us know if you try it first.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/23/08 at 07:08:24

How about flipping the magnet over?

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 08/23/08 at 08:28:56

verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/08 at 07:08:24:
How about flipping the magnet over?

I thought of that one too... maybe it was a +/- "pole" thing... Didn't make a diff.

I'm gonna try the rare earth magnets from RAT SHACK, and if that doesn't work; I'll leave them installed; return the Schwinn to Target, and find a bike shop with a Sigma.

That should fix it.

I'd sure like to know how fast I'm thumping along with these new sprockets. Feels like 80-85mph when it sounds like 3-3.5k RPM!  I need to hook up my clamp-on inductive tach temporarily when I get an accurate speedo working. I'm curious as heck to see if all my gearing and tire size math is anywhere near the real world numbers.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 08/23/08 at 11:06:49

Where on the wheel is the magnet mounted?

The closer to the axle, the slower the speed of the magnet, making it easier to register - if it's - say near the spoke nipple, it will fly by the sensor, perhaps not registering as often. The computer is going to sample for signal so many timer per second - each time, it will sample - (true or false) - if false, it probably assumes that the magnet hasn't made it around yet - in that split second that it's not sampling the magent can wiz by.

Putting it close to the axle may help at hwy speeds, but may disrupt readings in town.

Or, print this topic off and keep it with you - when the cops pull you over and ask you why your'e speeding - hand 'em this thread - I'm sure they'll understand Wink

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 08/23/08 at 14:15:46

I've got my sensor close to the axle, and was running the magnet in the depression on the disc side of the wheel. I guess even at 1/8" away it didn't like the little magnet that came with the unit.

Rat Shack didn't have any of the "rare earth" magnets in stock anywhere in town; but I bought some of the rectangular ceramic magnets and 3M high temp double sticky tape. (Lost one magnet because it wouldn't hold itself.)

So far it is reading good up to 75-80mph. (Done on the service road to the expressway, and no sooner did I let off the throttle than a cop pulled off a side street going the other way on the two way service road. Avoided a ticket by || much! I'm surprised the popping of the Supertrap didn't make him turn around, but he let it go... Whew!!!  Shocked  Cool

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions folks, it seems to be working now, if I'll just pay attention to it and behave myself!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain conversion and Schwinn speedo... error

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.