Send Topic Print
new front tire $$$ (Read 97 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
new front tire $$$
08/22/08 at 17:28:22

how much should a new front tire cost to have put in?  The dealership said $65 for labor and about $100 including parts.  I went up to an auto place that had a bike outside and thought maybe they worked on bikes and asked.  Turned out it was just the owner's, but he said what I was quoted was normal and his bike (a softail) had $350 tires.  

I recall people saying they had theirs changed out for easily under $100, but what is a fair price for labor and a half decent tire?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Re: new front tire $$$
Reply #1 - 08/22/08 at 17:59:12

Robert.....I deal with a major tire shop in my area and it is $10 installation per tire provided I buy the tire from them.....If you buy 2 tires they waive the installation fee.

The dealerships charge an arm and a leg for installation.

As far as tires, it depends on the quality and/or brand. I paid about $100 for a Bridgestone Spitfire on the front, and $65 for a Kenda Challenger on the back. I wanted a Bridgestone on the back also, but it was back ordered 6 weeks.
I am quite impressed with the Kenda......Great handling and deep deep tread. I ride a lot in the rain and it holds the road something wicked. If I had known, I would have put a kenda on the front also, and saved a few bucks. Could have had the front one for $50

Kenda tires are getting a very good review. They are being used by a lot of racing teams now. I am sure the more popular they get, the price will probably go up though.

http://www.kendausa.com/

Hope this helps

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 08/22/08 at 18:42:50

By me, dealer installed  tires by are $30 ea, for my tire, "free" if I buy the tire from them. The tires I wanted (Metzlers) cost about $35 more from them, after adding taxes, so I installed them myself.  

Installing tires without shop tools is physically demanding and requires some knowhow, but, as a wrencher, I decided to take the installation fee and buy some tools and  do it myself. That was only about $40 more per tire, but I get to keep the tools plus a bruise on my forearm where the tire spoon snapped back on me Smiley

The tools I needed to swap the tires:
2 tire spoons (10 inch - $8 ea - I coulda used a 3rd one, about 15 inches)
1 1,500 lb motorcyce jack ($60 - I dont mind owning this  Smiley
2 14 inch boxing clamps (already had them)
1 bottle of generic window cleaner ($1.50)
some scrap 2x6 to make a wheel holder to protect the brake disc and belt pulley.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/22/08 at 18:48:16

Bobbert wrote on 08/22/08 at 17:28:22:
how much should a new front tire cost to have put in?  The dealership said $65 for labor and about $100 including parts.....  I recall people saying they had theirs changed out for easily under $100, but what is a fair price for labor and a half decent tire?
Dennis Kirk will sell you a Dunlop D404 front tire, new tube, and a new rim strip for < $70 delivered.

Shop time is about $100 - $150 an hour, counting technician pay, support personel, building cost, tools, training, and a six pack of beer.  If they do the remove/dismount/mount/balance/reinstall $65 is not too horridly unfair.

A large part of the labor is removing/reinstalling the front wheel -- do it yourself and save.  I did my rear tire, but the front was giving me grief.  So I carried my front wheel and parts to the local bike shop and got the tires swapped for $25.  I did my own balance.  

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/22/08 at 22:06:04

I've gotten mine from tcpowersports.  temple city

about $50 for a d404, $15 for a tube and $25 mount and balence.

Take the tire off the bike and walk it in.  Don't know if they charge more to take it off the bike.  Fronts are easy.  A couple of 4x4's, loosen pinch bolt, remove axle, pick up spacers, roll, roll, roll...

WWW   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 08/23/08 at 00:41:28

Those that have a Cycle Gear store near them will find that they mount and balance free with the tire purchase. You have to bring the wheel in.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/23/08 at 14:41:11

I walked into my local Stealership, wheel+old tire in one hand and the new tire in the other.  If I recall correctly, mounted and balanced somewehre between $20 & $24 (de-mount old,  mount & balance new.).  It may have helped that I had boutght the tire (Dunlop 404 ) from them a week earlier ($69) and is still had their tag on it.  And.... it was off season.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 08/23/08 at 14:44:48

When I put new tires on the FireLizard (pre-girder front end) the local stealership mounted and balanced for free since I ordered the tires from them. A pair of Cheng Shin by the way. It cost me just over 150.00 bucks that was new tires, tubes, and rim liners.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:28:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new front tire $$$

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.