Send Topic Print
rough idle (Read 100 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
rough idle
08/21/08 at 14:05:17

I think I've probably got a clogged pilot jet in my bike because its only been run a handful of times since may, but Im not sure.

The idle was low and a little "thumpy" when I first picked the bike up but it didnt stall out after closing the throttle.  I started to have problems as I got stuck in traffic on the drive.   I had to flutter the throttle and keep the RPMs high enough at idle to prevent stalling (still happened a few times anyways, using the front bike and keeping the throttle open enough in stop and go is tough)  I finally got enough time to reaquiant myself with the idle screw, but I still had problems with it stalling at closed throttle.  After stalling I would start it back up and it would idle smooth and fast until I got to the next stop, where it would repeat.  

Im sure its not the vaccuum, because that's already broken and I was using PRI.

Am I right with the guess that my pilot is clogged?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: rough idle
Reply #1 - 08/21/08 at 14:09:34

Likely.  How's the high RPM performance/power, like at WOT?  Notice any difference there?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/21/08 at 14:50:12

both ends of the vac line are plugged off?...
Then I would check the air filter, spark plug, make sure the idle speed is high enough, if it ain't any of those, start cleaning the carb jets and passageways.  Good luck,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 08/21/08 at 18:34:59

It seems fine at WOT.  Im gonna try upping the idle rediculously high.  If it still stalls then I know its not low idle speed thats to blame

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/21/08 at 18:53:50

what does the spark plug look like??sounds wet to me...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 08/22/08 at 17:23:23

It probably IS the petcock.  The guy who I picked it up from had it set to RES, and Im finding that I dont have any problems running on RES.  Ill give him a call and see if he noticed the same thing.

All in favor of petcock say Aye, all oppossed, nay.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/22/08 at 18:53:44

Running on prime w/ the vac line capped at both ends will by-pass the petc0ck vac,
but if you run o.k. on reserve, it operates on vac just like the main, so that means the petc0ck gas screen in the gas tank is blocked up, or the ball behind the petc0ck selector knob is plugged.  Not a likely thing, as you will usually see it plug up the reserve area and not the main, due to lack of use, unless the PO always ran it on reserve.
You might want to just pull it, take it apart, and see whats going on in there.  Not to bad a job, just make sure to drain the gas tank first...
Hope that's not too confusing...

Here's a link to the parts fiche, if that's any help.
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #7 - 08/22/08 at 22:09:42

I spent weeks misdiagnosing idle and midrange problems, and it turned out to be the petcock.  I converted it to manual, and the bike has been flawless since then.  I had been pulling my hair out wondering why this reliable bike had become a joke of unreliability.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rough idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.