Send Topic Print
Aviation Fuel (Read 363 times)
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Aviation Fuel
08/18/08 at 07:06:10

Would it be bad if a bunch of 100LL aviation fuel found it's way into my Savage's gas tank?

(ie: I can get a bunch of it for free, and it smells really good)

(ie again: I tried a half tank and I thought it ran great!)

Am I facing long term problems though?

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Aviation Fuel
Reply #1 - 08/18/08 at 07:28:34

itschnobigdeal wrote on 08/18/08 at 07:06:10:
Would it be bad if a bunch of 100LL aviation fuel found it's way into my Savage's gas tank?

(ie: I can get a bunch of it for free, and it smells really good)

(ie again: I tried a half tank and I thought it ran great!)

Am I facing long term problems though?

In so far as the extra octane is concerned, if you ask the gasoline companies, they will tell you that if your engine is not designed to use the higher octane, then it will ignore it as if it didn't exist. They will tell you it will neither benefit or suffer from its use.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/18/08 at 07:58:34

Aviation fuel is designed to have relatively low volatility. That's so it doesn't evaporate from tanks at high altitude, and to reduce the chances of vapor lock. What it means for you is the chance of harder starting, because the less volatile fuel doesn't evaporate quite as easily in a cold carburetor/engine.

If you use leaded fuel, you will need to change your oil more often, as lead will eventually contaminate the oil. Do not use synthetic oil with leaded fuels, as the oils will not keep lead particles in suspension. The lead will also foul your spark plug more quickly. And it will leave lead deposits in the exhaust pipe although they do no harm except toxicity when you work with the exhaust.

I used to fly a little, and of course talked with the guys at the FBO. Every so often they had to drain fuel from aircraft for some reason, and they weren't allowed to put it back because they couldn't be sure it wasn't contaminated. So they burned it in airport equipment like their mowers and the fuel truck. They said the AVGAS didn't seem to run as well as regular MOGAS.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/18/08 at 08:58:37

I concur with Charon.  I am a current commercial pilot, flight inbstructor, and I own an FBO, so I know a little about 100LL (that's 100 octane, low lead).

100LL is the only leaded gasoline left, and it exists only because certain airplane engines require the 100 octance rating.  Some of the older engines, like on warbirds and the old piston engine airliners, actually required 130 at one time, but by altering the ignition timing, they can be run on the 100LL.

Why introduce lead into an engine not designed for it?  Stuck valves, fouled plugs, and lead in the oil are all the results of using lead where it wasn't intended?

Some old, smaller airplane engines were designed to use 80 octance, and now that we only have 100LL gas for aviation, lots of those engines are fouling and their valves are sticking as a result, since 100LL still has 4 times more lead in it than the old 80 octance did.

Stay with mogas.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 08/18/08 at 09:10:53

I concur with all of the above. However, when in over winter storage i do fill the tank with avgas (since i have easy access) and run the bike 15 miles. Next spring it starts immediately. With regular gas ages I would put some "Stabil". Done this (Avgas) for years and i feel that one tank is not going to hurt, lead wise. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Reply #5 - 08/18/08 at 12:21:24

I manage an FBO actually, that's why I can sneak a few gallons out here and there for free. I suppose it isn't worth the potential problems to save a few bucks in gas money. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! I have heard of putting that in your tank at the end of the year too, I'll probably do that.

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 08/18/08 at 20:48:57

I worked at an FBO for quite awhile and it really doesn't hurt anything to add some to regular gas. The stuff works awesome in chainsaws, we always had the fire department coming up and buying our "waste" fuel. Straight it can burn weak spots in your exhaust and can burn up catalytic converters.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Reply #7 - 08/19/08 at 08:30:23

And your Savage will idle like absolute poo poo. As I've leanred now... I added 1 gallon, which gave me a full tank  (half reg, half 100LL). Now that I've gone over 50 miles on this tank it's started to idle like crap, backfire waaay more, and seem to run more "hot." A mistake I won't make again.

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/19/08 at 08:40:49

It would be interesting to learn what is the difference in the additive packages between av gas and car gas, and if the octane rating of av gas is always controlled by the old lead method, or if it is sometimes controlled by other chemistry as is in all car gas sold in the USA.

IP Logged
Crotchrocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/19/08 at 19:47:12

Interesting to see so many aviation professionals here.  I'm a CFI too, and the only thing I can say with certainty is that 100LL smells better.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 08/20/08 at 14:51:45

I went to school to be an AMT, but I get paid way better doing what I'm doing now and I don't have to worry about anybody crashing.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/21/08 at 12:04:54

My B/in law drag races a chevy truck,his gas is 110 octain he pays $11 bucks a gallon for it, so I tried a gallon in my savage.huge difference in acceleration it really is like rocket fuel,that being said it showed no improvement in top speed,  I just got up to it a heck of allot faster.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/21/08 at 12:54:09

Mick how fast will yours go?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #13 - 08/21/08 at 17:15:55

I did want to raise the point about flammability.  Isn't aviation fuel highly flammable?  In the event that something dreadful happen, that bike might go up like a meteorite.  I suppoze a rider isn't generally still on a bike after a crash..but, thought I'd mention.

I once had a friend who put it in his car.  Upon impact, he, three other friends, and the car immediately perished in a very hot fire.  The rims were nothing but smallish molten blobs.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/21/08 at 18:34:35

bill67 wrote on 08/21/08 at 12:54:09:
  Mick how fast will yours go?

It will do 83mph,I had it up to a little over 85 with a tail wind,could have gone more I think,but I ran out of road.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aviation Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.