Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange sound from the engine - valves? (Read 189 times)
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strange sound from the engine - valves?
08/19/08 at 09:30:06

Hi,

My S40 has 2000 Kms on it. recently I started noticing a cold metallic sound that sounds like tsak, tsak, tsak. It happens after the engine has warmed up (after 15, 20 minutes of riding) and changes with the RPM. It is signified with higher RPMs. It's the same clutch in, clutch out. At first I though it was coming from the lower right side, but now I'm not sure it might be coming from the head too - tough to say in traffic. The dealer said it had its 1000 km service performed (bough it at that), but I don't think they performed valve adjustment (no marks on visible screws). So could that be valves, or something more serious? What else can be zigging zagging in there on the new engine?

thks,

K

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Re: Strange sound from the engine - valves?
Reply #1 - 08/19/08 at 11:16:39

Not sure if it qualifies as "cold metallic", but have you checked the headlight and speedometer or rattling?  Just touch them and see if the sound stops.

On the other hand, valves are supposed to be a little noisy. Sewing machine like.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/19/08 at 11:25:16

did you have any periodic maintenance done yet?  

On my bike,  at 3000 miles after the rebuild, I started to get a ticking noise when the bike warmed up.   I checked the valve gap and found exhaust at 0.006.  Limit is 0.003 to 0.005.   Set it to 0.004 and it is fine now.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/19/08 at 11:33:40

Valves should have been adjust at 1st service.
Try to isolate the noise (out of traffic, parked)
Put a screwdriver to ear and move the tip around untill you can locate.
valves should be abit noisey but if the sound is coming from down low watch out.  But it's way too early for that noise.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/19/08 at 11:36:47

I agree with Moofed.  This bike is known for the rattles coming out of the speedometer and the headlight.  Next time you hear the noise, push on these and see if the noise doesn't go away.  If it does, there's links in tech section on how to fix both.  If it doesn't, then I'd check the valves.  There's a link in the tech section for that too! Cheesy

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/19/08 at 12:05:01

hi,

thks for the replays so far. No, this is not a headlight or speedo, it's engine - like a sawing machine or chain saw. I'd say valves, but the thing that confuses me is that it starts after the engine is warmed up. I'd expect that noise from valves on a cold engine until parts warm up and expand. Well, maybe S40's head is different.

And to answer the question, it was supposed to have its first service at 1000, and I got it used at the dealership at that mileage and the dealer told me that the service has been performed. Oil looks very clean and the level right on spot, so I'm assuming they did just an oil and since there were no sound from valves at the time, they didn't touch them.

I was hoping to leave a proper servicing until the end of riding season, but now I might do that earlier.

BTW, a friend of mine who has a boat, told me that there's a better way of preparation for winter than sipping the oil with the spoon into the cylinder. He says, he uses something that he just sprays into the air intake and that something kills the engine and lubes the cylinder walls. Comes spring, all it takes is several attempts to start and all is good. Anybody ever heard of something like that?

K

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/19/08 at 12:17:15

WINTERIZE  .......  I rode in every month for the last year.  I must say, for Jan & Feb it was only a day or two, but I did ride....  Grin

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/19/08 at 12:35:40

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 08/19/08 at 12:17:15:
WINTERIZE  .......  I rode in every month for the last year. ..

So did I. Just for most part of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr it was a dog sled  Grin

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 08/19/08 at 16:03:05

i rode all winter as well, it was COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 08/19/08 at 17:43:46

Motokid, I believe your friend is referring to "fogging oil."  That is what they squirt into a boat's engine when winterizing it.  You can buy it just about anyplace that sells marine stuff.  I would bet that Walmart probably has it.

I'm hoping for a dry winter this year.  As long as there isn't snow or ice on the road, I'm gonna ride this thing.  Kay looked at me like I was nuts when I told her that.  I figure, if you can wear enough clothes to ride a snowcat at 60 mph, then why not a motorcycle?  Might have to rig some kind of hood around the engine to keep the carb from icing up.  Anyone have any experience in that department?  Could be talking about sub-zero temps.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/19/08 at 17:49:55

What's winter?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 08/19/08 at 18:05:31

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/08 at 17:49:55:
What's winter?   Grin

For you Californians and a couple of other states, it is a mythical place/time that usually turns the ground white with frozen fluffy seeming water.

For the rest of us it is the time to dress extremely warm and be extra careful while riding/driving.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 08/19/08 at 18:23:58

im tooooo busy to do valves...took my 06 to the stealrship for the 11,000 mile service(i do oil and spark plug)they did cables and belt and valves(no torque of the head bolts,im poed)pick the suzi up and when i fired er up was a wassen boxer type of noise commin from the head...grabed the first mecanic i saw and asked if this was right...b4 he could answer the mec that did the work came up saiod that the valves were too tite..(same at last service,and one b4)....so he says he  took them to the looser(lees tite) side of spec...got her home  week later did the oil;/gilter change and after nother 100 or so miles they sound alot bettter?????

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #13 - 08/20/08 at 15:26:24

[quote author=6B6972696D6F62060 link=1219163406/0#5 date=1219172701]hi,

thks for the replays so far. No, this is not a headlight or speedo, it's engine - like a sawing machine or chain saw. I'd say valves, but the thing that confuses me is that it starts after the engine is warmed up. I'd expect that noise from valves on a cold engine until parts warm up and expand. Well, maybe S40's head is different.

The oil is thicker starting from cold,as the engine warms the oil thins out a bit,thats why it gets noisier after 15 20 miles.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/20/08 at 17:03:25

motokid wrote on 08/19/08 at 12:05:01:
... it's engine - like a sawing machine or chain saw. I'd say valves, but the thing that confuses me is that it starts after the engine is warmed up. I'd expect that noise from valves on a cold engine until parts warm up and expand. Well, maybe S40's head is different.

You got me worried with the chain saw remark.  It shouldn't sould like a chain being drug accross the floor.  Should sould like an old VW beetle.  I know they are getting like hen's teeth  :'( but that's what it should sould like.

Now the reason for the noise to increase when hot... you got steel valves in a aluminum head.  When hot they don't grow at the same rate, so the adjustment gets looser.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 07:28:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange sound from the engine - valves?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.