Erin gets a grip (Read 307 times)
Paminator
YaBB Newbies

Lil red head riders
rock

Orlando Florida
Erin gets a grip
08/18/08 at 19:12:33

Well, since it's too wet and they closed the Florida Keys down for some chick named Fay, we thought it was time for new grips on Erin. Found these nice grips from "EMGO" called "Buffalo Grips". Made for a 1" bar and way cheaper than the Iso grips. Under 30 bucks for them.  They are also a bit smaller in diameter for my smaller hands. This is how we fit them on Erin;

Grips as stock, not bad but very boring

Clutch side was a simple pulled off the stock ones and trim the handle bar back to the weight. It's about a 5/16ths cut. Then it's just add a bit of glue and slide the new one on. Easy peasy.  Cheesy

Throttle side was a bit more involved. Pulled off the end cap and rubber grip

Then carefully remove the plastic chrome ring and "O" ring from the plastic throttle sleeve

Do the same end cut as on the clutch side, about 5/16ths or to the weight

You will then need to remove the raised parts of the throttle sleeve with a file or rasp being careful not to mar the switch block. Was not hard to do and needed because the EMGO sleeve is too small to slide on without binding the throttle sleeve.

Do a test fit to make sure you got it right and don't have a binding throttle and if it's good the just slather a bit of glue inside the new grip and smack it into place

Erin looks good with the new grips and they feel nice on my hands. All in all a good afternoon project.  Now if anyone needs some stock grip parts...  Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/22/08 at 13:04:43 by Savage_Rob »  
  IP Logged
Paminator
YaBB Newbies

Lil red head riders
rock

Orlando Florida
Re: Erin gets a grip
Reply #1 - 08/23/08 at 09:38:46

Well, it looks like  the reply posts are missing but i did want to answer the questions I remember. Roll Eyes

The blue things on the clutch/brake levers are just a silicone rubber grips. Since my hands are small I thought I would try them out. They do make it easier to grip and pull the levers.

Now for the comfort of the new grips. These grips have a really big rubber insert that makes them more comfy than the old grips. The grip is actually improved over the old ones too as the rubber strips stand above the chrome and add considerable traction for your palm. I like them more than the old grips. We looked at the "iso grips" but the price was a bit much and they were just too fat. These EMGO grips were $26.95 and a much better value I think. Smiley

Getting ready for the next project, "Erin gets tachy".  We got a tach from one of the board members and have it in hand and hubby is ready to do another project for me.  I think he likes doing stuff to my bike more than his own. Grin  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:28:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Erin gets a grip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.