Send Topic Print
Car tire for the back (Read 1614 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #90 - 09/01/08 at 09:29:57

I've got about 14k on my Dunlop D404F up front. It looks like it might weather check itself to death before it wears out. Are others out there getting those kinds of results? It will be interesting to see how it works with the BFG. Does the Cheng Shin hold the road and give mileage like that or better? The price is certainly much easier on the wallet.

Jack

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #91 - 09/01/08 at 11:54:34

Jack_650 wrote on 08/24/08 at 20:16:12:
Well crazyfeller, I mean oldfeller - you're going to end an inspiration to us all.

LOL!...Did Oldlfeller miss that, or does he embrace it?...
Good bit of funnin' anyway...

My best to all you darksiders,...I'm still on the fence about it, but interested in hearing more of your experiences. That fat tire chopper pic sure looks cool, reminds me of the dark knight's bat cycle.....maybe that's why he's called the the Dark Knight.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #92 - 09/01/08 at 13:01:26

Jack_650 wrote on 09/01/08 at 09:29:57:
I've got about 14k on my Dunlop D404F up front. It looks like it might weather check itself to death before it wears out. Are others out there getting those kinds of results?
Jack

My last Savage front was Dunlop K625 Arrowmax which I replaced due to horrible cupping after about 45000 kms. Last SV front was Continental which lasted (to cords) about 39000 kms.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #93 - 09/01/08 at 14:29:09

Did my first dark side run, just got back. Good news all.

That sucker grips the road. I took it out on roads I know well to see how it compares. Powering into highway turns you can't shake it. Twisties with power, great. At speed on the flats, like sitting on the couch. I'm running at about 38 psi for right now, 28 psi on the front. Can't wait for it to rain to see how that works for me.

The only down side for me is that it feels a bit more skittish on gravel than I would have expected. The rear tire seems to be wandering around back there. My conjecture is that with the wider tread face, you're riding on top of the gravel surface instead of cutting through it like with a narrower bike type tire. That could explain the little bit of sideways slippage. The good news is is that when you give it a little power on the dirt road the tire bites in and gives much better traction.

My thoughts are that I'll be on the dark side for quite a while.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 09/01/08 at 15:35:02

Serowbot, I said only a crazy person would put a 165/80 on the back of their bike with the stock belt because it would rub city.  That was 20-20 hindsight from me to me and Gort was just repeating it back at me with his tongue in his cheek.

I did it, it did me -- it DID require lots of things to make a 165/80r15 fit and work with the stock belt because it is simply too durn big for the space envelope.

I WAS the crazy person ....  it was/is still the first darkside Savage tire since it absolutely refuses to wear out.  So, yes -- I was the crazy feller who was the inspiration to you all.

Jack makes 6 or 7th new darksider among us.  He is the first to mount the TA 155/80 which sounds like the largest practical tire to put on your bike if you plan to run a belt.

Go Jack, Go !!  Sounds like it was easy peasy to do it.

Now, question to the rest of you runs like this:

"What is your excuse now?"

--- Next summer, you are going to need a new rear tire

(sorry, it's a fact)

I won't, not for some years yet.   You do realize that my darkside rear tire is going to last longer than my stock cam chain/cam chain tensioner?  

===================================

Just to put it into perspective for you fence sitters.   If you mount a  BRAND NEW IRC rear tire on the same day my car tire finally shows its wear markers (1/16" of tread left) your bike tire will go totally bald in the middle and show white cords before my darksider tire goes bald in the middle.

===================================

How's that for a perspective moment?

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 09/01/08 at 15:58:01

Jack, I can't speak for wearing one out, I spent over half a year not quite rubbing the nubbies off the thing.

Chen Shin never invented any of their original bike tires, they copied Dunlops and Metzlers and Michelins tire designs right down to the rubber compounds and cord constructions.

This is simply a thorough rip of a very good BMW touring front tire.  As such, it acts like one too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #96 - 09/01/08 at 21:19:06

Easy, peasy? My my, what colorful vocabulary? I bet there aren't many filters on the net that would block that phrase.

I've got plenty of room on both sides and the front with the stock spacers on the back axle. I do have an extra inch and a half or more on my shocks and they're set to three on the stiffness-o-meter. From the looks of things I can't bottom out the fender onto the tire no matter how much weight I pile on.

Pylon - get it? Ha, I'm good.

Anyway, now I've got to go through that whole tire/belt alignment and tensioning trip again. The whine I've got now at all speeds sounds like the '59 Impala convertible I had back in the mid-60's with the 2 speed automatic that wouldn't shift out of 1st. Drove it around Miami for a year that way before I put in a three speed on the floor. Gotta love those old 283's.

Looks like I may get to try a ride in the rain in the next couple of days. Weather channel makes it look like MN is going to get some much needed precipitation. More reports as they come in.

And thanx for the tip on the front tire too. I may just have to order one now at that low price and just hang it on the wall in the garage until needed.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 09/02/08 at 03:40:50

So now Jack is set for the next 20,000 miles or so, he can forget he even has tires other than to check the air pressure every once and a while.

Ain't that a miracle -- FORGET YOU EVEN HAVE TIRES for a long long time, years and years.

and that's why we drink that cold tomato soup and eat them stupid little fish crackers ....

Smiley

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #98 - 09/02/08 at 05:04:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/08 at 03:40:50:
So now Jack is set for the next 20,000 miles or so, he can forget he even has tires other than to check the air pressure every once and a while.

Ain't that a miracle -- FORGET YOU EVEN HAVE TIRES for a long long time, years and years.

and that's why we drink that cold tomato soup and eat them stupid little fish crackers ....

Smiley

Oldfeller

20000 miles is doable with a decent motorcycle touring tyre so the car tyre should last a bit longer than that. Over 30000 would be impressive. Is there any mileage data on those car-tyre-on-a-bike sites?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #99 - 09/02/08 at 07:29:45

I'm going to write the current mileage on the bottom of my fender or seat with a sharpie now. When the tire needs to be replaced I'll do the conversion from speedo-to-real-miles and let everyone know how many miles it lasts. If I run it as far down as I did the Dunlop this time (flat across the tread face with maybe a shadow of tread on the bottom) it could be quite a while. With the bike weighing in at from 500-650 pounds, depending on who/what I'm hauling, baby's new shoe should weather check itself out of a job before it wears out don't you think.

Towards the end of September I'm planning to do about a week camping trip out to the SD Badlands on the bike. 1,200 miles or so total with lots of dirt roads in the middle should tell me a lot more about things. Now all I have to do is get inside the bike to check the cam chain, adjust the tire alignment, do the air filter AND try to find some black tire paint to cover up those white letters on the side of the BFG, or white to do the other side.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 09/02/08 at 15:22:40

Thousand pound Honda flat sixes get 20,000+ miles on a rear car tire.   What will we get?  -- I guess it depends on who is doing the braking with it.

I got 5,350 miles on my IRC OEM rear tire.  I will get 3-4x more miles out of the VW tire, with the existing rates of intentional abuse included in that figuring.

Jack might not be an intentional rear tire abuser and might get twice what I would get.  Maybe.  That's a whale of a lot of miles.

Who in the world gets 20,000 miles out of a rear touring tire on a normal motorcycle?  The folks who invented this trick only got 8,000 miles out of a $190 premium motorcycle tire and they are touring bike experts.

I paid $34.95 for the initial original darkside Savage tire.    Let's see, effectively I will pay less than $9.00 for each of the next 4 equivalent normal motorcycle tires you guys will have to buy (less 4 times whatever you pay to have it mounted on top of that) plus I DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH IT FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS.

You will pay $500-$600 of your hard earned money plus you get to screw with doing it 3-4 extra times?

================================

What is your excuse now?

It ain't cost.

It ain't performance.

It ain't safety.

Jack says it's easy peasy to do ...   He proved it out by doing it.

« Last Edit: 09/03/08 at 02:16:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #101 - 09/02/08 at 16:47:08

What is your excuse now?

It just aint time yet,,soon as it is, I am going to the Darkside.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #102 - 09/02/08 at 18:01:48

Of course, now it will be kinda interesting to see what all that extra traction will do for my gas mileage.

As for braking and poppin' wheelies, I'm a very conservative rider having not even getting started until my mid-late 50's. Not that I don't go above and beyond the speed limit from time to time. It's just that I take my time to get there.

The only time I've squealed the tires braking was on a N. Carolina back road when the fella in front of me decided he was turning left, didn't have brake lights and showed me that turn signal usage is still optional in the south. With the back tire locked up, when it felt like the bike was starting to go into a bit of turning, leaning slide, I got off the brakes and headed for the non-existing shoulder. Of course I was thinking that the only time this bike has gone down with me on it was in wet grass, just like what I was headed for. Had gotten the speed down enough that there was no problem, but still . . . I just wish I was better at extemporaneous swearing.

No, this tire's going to be back there for a while.

Jack

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #103 - 09/02/08 at 23:18:13

Ok, I have one question, based on the tire that Jack 650 bought, (size 155-80 R15), a "normal" 150-80 R15 motorcycle tire "should" fit easy peasy as well, right?  I would go dark side in a heart beat, but my better half still has intentions of learning to ride and riding the Savage, so I'm gonna hold off on the dark side thing, at least for this bike.

Any comments on the tire size would be appreciated.  

Anyway, I'm thinking Metzlers or Bridgestone.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #104 - 09/03/08 at 01:17:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/08 at 15:22:40:
Who in the world gets 20,000 miles out of a rear touring tire on a normal motorcycle? The folks who invented this trick only got 8,000 miles out of a $190 premium motorcycle tire and they are touring bike experts.

Only invention about car tyres on motorcycles is websites about it. There've been bikes with car tyres since motorcycles and cars first came out and Savages have had car tyres before this web forum (or internet).

The 150/90-15 Avon HL30 Elan on my wife's Savage has 2mm of tread after 30500 kms. It will be over 20000 miles before winter. The one before it was ancient Metzeler ME88 which I rode 24000 kms and it wasn't brand new when I bought that bike. The one I replaced recently on my SV - Continental Avenue 150/70-17, 18000 kms with a lot of two up riding plus hard luggage on German Autobahns at 130kph+. The one before it, a similar Avenue, 27000 kms almost without Autobahn and the one before it, Bridgestone BT45 with lots of fast two up riding etc. 21000 kms. I work in Germany 2 to 5 days a week so I ride longish trips (often halfway across Europe and back weekly) at steady speeds and I never use the rear brake. These are not touring tyres and not exactly touring riding but still seriously close to what car tyres on bikes are claimed to achieve and I can (just) get my knee down with the Contis so tyre performance is not a problem. I admit cost would be a factor between car and motorcycle tyres but the rears I've bought recently are about 80 Euros.

Educatedredneck wrote on 09/02/08 at 23:18:13:
Ok, I have one question, based on the tire that Jack 650 bought, (size 155-80 R15), a "normal" 150-80 R15 motorcycle tire "should" fit easy peasy as well, right?  I would go dark side in a heart beat, but my better half still has intentions of learning to ride and riding the Savage, so I'm gonna hold off on the dark side thing, at least for this bike.

Any comments on the tire size would be appreciated.  

There are very few 150/80-15 tyres available, if any. I commented earlier about how a larger than average, 158mm wide and 137mm high 150/90 Avon fits and in terms of clearance, 155/80 is easier because it is so much lower, as Jack650 told, easy peasy. A 150/90 doesn't handle that well especially when worn flat across the tread. It wants to follow every rut and groove, a pain in the arse in backroads to be honest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:34:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.