Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #75 - 08/24/08 at 16:14:44

Gort's right, only a crazy person would try to cram a 165-15 into the standard Savage fender with the belt drive still in place.  Rub city.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #76 - 08/24/08 at 20:16:12

Well crazyfeller, I mean oldfeller - you're going to end an inspiration to us all.

Cocker Tire seems to have about the best prices and selection as well as the most reasonable shipping costs so far that I've seen. I'll know in the morning about the BFG 155 TA and will let ya'll know the deal. If not available, I'm leaning towards the 145 Firestone. I'm going to be trying for the tallest tire I can get under the fender for gas mileage don't ya know. With my longer shocks I'm sure I've ample clearance.

The down low view of the car tire on the bike in one of gort's links is pretty impressive. Tread face to highway flat and in the turns looks huge. Maybe my rear brakes will actually be useful now.

I'm all excited. After this tire thing I only need to change the front brakes, change the brake fluid, do something about the fork oil, open up and check the cam chain adjuster, do oldfeller's air filter mod, lube my speedo cable, find the rattle from my windshield . . . Oh the opportunities awaiting me.

Jack

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #77 - 08/25/08 at 00:44:55

Jack_650 wrote on 08/24/08 at 20:16:12:
I'm going to be trying for the tallest tire I can get under the fender for gas mileage don't ya know. With my longer shocks I'm sure I've ample clearance.
Jack

If you want the tallest tyre you can get, your 165-15 is actually a 165/80-15 and is nominally only 132mm tall. I was about to fit a 155/80 sometime in 1996 but it was too low as I also wanted the tallest tyre I could get without resorting to chain drives. A normal 150/90-15 motorcycle tyre is the tallest, my Avon was 137mm tall and 158mm wide and would rub to fender, fender bolts, swing arm, belt plus belt cover unless I compromised with rear wheel alignment and belt tension. Not very fun, but at least it was tall. Now it's my wife's bike running just fine with a 140/90 and I've no intention to play with larger sizes anymore.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #78 - 08/25/08 at 07:58:23

Anybody know anything about the reputation of these tires?

http://www.vredesteintire.com/

They have all the sizes we could ever be interested in for bikes. They have great prices. And the tires look great with a wide variety of tread designs. and I thought this decision was going to be an easy one to implement.

Jack

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #79 - 08/25/08 at 08:42:15

Just got off the phone placing my order for the BFG 155/80R-15 T/A. Cost $68.00 + shipping. Price went up $6.00 since the page was last updated. Guy said they had them in stock.

http://store.coker.com/prod/p15580r15-bfg-ta-rwl.html

1-866-513-2744    ext. 5 to place an order

I was really tempted to go for the Michelin 145/15, but at $132.00 I decided to get my feet wet on the darkside first to see how I like it. Then in five or six years when/if I need a new tire I can always pay the $350.00 it'll cost by then to move up. That is unless someone out there knows of a 155-15 Pirelli that's available since I've not found one anywhere. I guess they don't make it, at least for american consumption.

Jack

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #80 - 08/25/08 at 11:38:53

Jack_650 wrote on 08/25/08 at 08:42:15:
Just got off the phone placing my order for the BFG 155/80R-15 T/A. Cost $68.00 + shipping. Price went up $6.00 since the page was last updated. Guy said they had them in stock.

http://store.coker.com/prod/p15580r15-bfg-ta-rwl.html

1-866-513-2744    ext. 5 to place an order

I was really tempted to go for the Michelin 145/15, but at $132.00 I decided to get my feet wet on the darkside first to see how I like it. Then in five or six years when/if I need a new tire I can always pay the $350.00 it'll cost by then to move up. That is unless someone out there knows of a 155-15 Pirelli that's available since I've not found one anywhere. I guess they don't make it, at least for american consumption.

Jack

Sure, not now...but in 5 or 6 years, who knows?  Cheesy

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #81 - 08/28/08 at 11:48:35

Well, my tire got here today. No wrapping, no packaging. Just tape a shipping label on it and toss it in the UPS truck. I feel so trailer trash. What will the neighbors think?

I guess I better check the stock of dish soap we've got here at the homestead. And go get a new tube. And practice my f#%&*@ s#@&% h$#&@ curse words for when I start donating knuckle skin for the cause.

Don't wait up for me.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #82 - 08/28/08 at 12:10:10

No packaging no wrapping How do you check the contents for damage when there isn't any?

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 08/28/08 at 12:19:56

[quote author=082321291D747772420 link=1219094510/75#81 date=1219949315]Well, my tire got here today. No wrapping, no packaging. Just tape a shipping label on it and toss it in the UPS truck. I feel so trailer trash. What will the neighbors think?

I guess I better check the stock of dish soap we've got here at the homestead. And go get a new tube. And practice my f#%&*@ s#@&% h$#&@ curse words for when I start donating knuckle skin for the cause.

Years ago I worked for the Post Office.  Thats how the stores ship their tires to people.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #84 - 08/28/08 at 17:17:39

Jack_650 wrote on 08/28/08 at 11:48:35:
Well, my tire got here today. No wrapping, no packaging. Just tape a shipping label on it and toss it in the UPS truck. I feel so trailer trash. What will the neighbors think?

Don't wait up for me.

Jack

Got mine today as well...and a good set of tire irons!   Grin

I'm debating whether to do the job right away or wait until winter... Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #85 - 08/28/08 at 18:04:34

I'm doing mine this weekend I think. I want to get a bunch of little stuff done so I can do at least a medium run before the snow starts up here. I think towards the end of September I'm going to do the 600 miles each way to Wall SD and the Badlands for a few days of bike exploration and camping. I've done it several times in a car or van, but now it's time to do the bike thang. See if I can get to places I couldn't with four wheels under me. Some of those two rut "roads" are pretty scary when you've got an oil pan under you with a ton or more of metal to crunch down on it onto a rock.

Jack

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #86 - 08/29/08 at 07:26:41

We wanna see pics ... and of course a write-up of your Darkside mounting and test Ride adventures ... please! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 08/29/08 at 15:38:28

Living Vicariously through the miracle of internet electronics!

When I am working on a project hot and heavy, taking a lot of pics and stopping to post stuff isn't going to happen.  I put the camera over by the chair I sit in to take a break and sip a cup of coffee -- that's the only reason any in process pics get taken at all.

You ain't ever going to see a pic of a car tire wrassling match.  It is all hands on deck and every hand helping ....

================

Also be mindful of the "ah shucks" factor that can enter into any major mod project -- in this case it might be .....

"Ah shucks -- he wasn't kidding about them durn bolt heads under the fender."

"Ah shucks -- got to recenter this big ol' tire in the wheel well ..."

"Ah shucks -- what was it about that about brake hub engagement on the swing arm lug?"

« Last Edit: 08/30/08 at 16:32:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #88 - 08/31/08 at 22:13:46

Ah shucks, I'm either doing something wrong or living very, very right. It was harder getting that old flat bottom Dunlop off the rim than it was getting the new BFG onto it. No lost skin, no tattered knuckles, no nasty language. Put in a new tube 'cause who knows how long it'll be until that suckers comes off again. And you were right, there's a lot of air goes in to pop that second bead into place. It's sitting off the bike overnight to keep it there until tomorrow. Then I'll drop it back to normal and see how that goes.

Tools used:
  My trusty pail of very dish soapy water and a paint brush
  A big, long, blade, screw driver
  My well seasoned car brake adjusting tool

I suppose in a year or so I'll be looking for a new front tire. Now to start thinking about a radial that'll be a performance/handling match for the back. Any suggestions?

You're also right about getting pictures taken during the job at hand. But since I don't have all the fancy garage gear that a lot of you do or the room to use it in, I've come up with a system of getting the back of the bike up and keeping the bike balanced and stable for doing the work that I think could be of use to others. I will take a couple of pix of the set-up for those with limited resources and/or space. I suppose I'll add them to my BikePics site since I still haven't figured out how to add them into the post.

Jack

p.s.     When I was pulling the wheel of the back I found there was a nail in the tire. Went in at the edge of the tread face and angled outwards through a bit of the sidewall, missing entering the tire/and tube. It had been there for a while too. Almost missed it even when I had my face right up close and personal. Guess I'll be a bit more observant when I do those little pre-trip checks like they taught us to do back when driving truck.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 09/01/08 at 01:56:13

Suggestions?  First, you don't have to match radials on the front of the bike -- that is a car "requirement".

Second, pick a old hard rubber compound tire that will stick around a bit.  We don't have enough front brake to really excite any sort of tire and our steering loads are very very light.  Having a modern gummy tire (designed to handle braking loads from dual caliper set ups) is unnecessary and winds up giving low mileage life.  

I run an old BMW touring tire "rip off" from cheng shin as it was the only old hard rubber tire design that I could find.  I now have the same front tire on my Savage and on my XV535 and have gotten excellent service from it on both bikes.  Still have nubbies on both bikes after 7 months and a mountain trip -- tire has excellent wear characteristics.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3412   (note: tire actually looks like the pic below)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.