http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #46 - 08/20/08 at 12:01:10

In the spirit of experimentation I did a tour of every tire shop in the medium sized (50k) town I live in. Not a one even could find a 155/15 in any of their books, even the specialty catalogues. Our Walmart is next to a Sam's club so they don't do tires - in stock or ordered. And Sam's seems to only love 205/15 and up. I guess the late 50's VWs aren't the big market they once were. It just seems wrong to pay almost as much for shipping as you do for the item itself. But I've not given up. there's still Sears to try. And then of course Fleet/Farm and the likes.

Jack

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #47 - 08/20/08 at 13:08:50

The smaller the width the quicker a motorcycle handles,So it would have to handle  a lot slower  with  a wide tire, if  that what you want then you should  go to the widest you can get.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 08/22/08 at 06:01:37

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SEAT BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SEAT BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

=============================================

joeh100, some of us do wear our IRCs all the way around the edges even when running a flat bottomed car tire on the back end.
                             this is the back tire worn round nice & tight

this is the front tire worn round nice and tight

Bill67, you are just guessin' about speed of manoever based on what you have read.  Fact is that the front tire controls rate of lean, not the back tire.  The front tire is always the orchestra leader.

Say you want to take a hard right hand 90 degree turn.  Rider shifts his mass and very slightly counter-steers the front tire.  A bike back tire responds by rolling the whole bike over its round circumference which takes XX time to respond.  A car tire responds by simply shifting the contact patch from the center to position to the right position (flexing the right sidewall slightly).  The front tire is still calling the tune, but it gets more response out of less input when working with the car tire as the whole bike doesn't have to rotate around near as much.

Actually, the pair of round bike tires is quite a bit slower to respond as it has to rotate the entire mass of the bike to accomplish its desired change.  Car tires are quicker to respond than bike tires and take less lean to get the same amount of directional change.  My bike is more nimble now than it was with IRCs mounted on it.

Now, since you get more turn for your degree of rotation and your bike sits taller on the car tire, what does it take to drag a peg?  Answer is turn speeds and sideways accelerations you can't get on IRC tires or other normal bike tires under any circumstances.  

And it also explains why in the middle of a siren killer right hand turn that spits other riders into the left side embankment I can do a quick emergency stop and pull off the right hand side of the road.  I had greater braking patch available and more turn radius left in reserve so I could still do additional things when another stock biker was totally out of stuff to do.  Plus, I knew I was nowhere near the limit and had lots of stuff left.  I didn't even squall the rear tire (I get a clear audible feedback that the edge of danger has arrived!).

But then again, you will never try it yourself, so you will never believe it anyway.

« Last Edit: 09/08/08 at 18:31:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 08/22/08 at 06:35:13

Jack_650, If you cannot find a tire locally, go to Wal-Mart.com and search for tires.  Once you get to the tire selector, punch in 155-80r15.  You will get the raised white letter TA we have been talking about as that is the only one they have got.

Punch in the stuff to buy the tire -- during this process you will given a set of stores in the zip code you live in to chose from.  Pick one.  It doesn't matter if they have a tire store or not, the tire will show up at their Service Desk in about 3 days.  They will call you when it arrives. You pay for it there.  Total cost from Wal-Mart is same same as buying from Tire Rack as Tire Rack charges $15-$20 for shipping separately.

NOTE:  if you know someone who works for Wal-Mart they get a nice employee discount that works for internet ordered tires.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #50 - 08/22/08 at 07:11:07

Motorcycle racers should start using car tires to go faster around the track,but I guest its a well kept secret

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 08/22/08 at 07:30:30

As Justin would say "I think it is beginning to smell like a conspiracy to me".

Who sponsors all the race teams?  Dunlop and other bike tire makers.  Who makes the required same tires for all the racers to wear that day.  Dunlop/Goodyear (same company, BTW).

But soon you will know for sure ...  or will you?   When you go to the Darkside you have to be initiated and take all them vows of secrecy ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #52 - 08/22/08 at 07:48:24

Never been one who's big on traditions. Can't stand the high-fives and the circle hand bumps. But a blood oath to keep the secrets of the "DARKSIDE", that I might could get into. Have meetings on midnight on Thursdays to eat tomato soup with fish crackers and measure each others tread depth for alignment with zodiac moon charts. Maybe at Stonehenge. Then on the meeting nights with a full moon we all go out and pop wheelies with the extra traction we get.

Since I have no experience yet with this "new technology" I'm kinda expecting some extra stability on gravel roads. Nothing to base it on but a hunch, but I think the extra width and tread on the ground might make the back-end feel not quite so skittish with all that loose material under foot. I know ya'll are all waiting a report. Guess I'll go order one today since my Dunlop is flat across the tread face from my latest trip to Florida last summer.

Yeah, I went online to Walmart and that's the smallest tire I could find. I was in hopes of finding a 145 just to stay a little narrower, but it looks like that's not going to happen. They want a few $$ more for the tire than TireRack. TireRack however listed $42 to ship to my area. Not a hard decision to make really.

Jack

IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #53 - 08/22/08 at 07:57:32

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/22/08 at 06:01:37:
joeh100, some of us do wear our IRCs all the way around the edges even when running a flat bottomed car tire on the back end.

I was talking about the back tire.  The stock IRC.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 08/22/08 at 09:29:34

bill67 wrote on 08/22/08 at 07:11:07:
Motorcycle racers should start using car tires to go faster around the track,but I guest its a well kept secret

I got to tell you Bill, that was a good one.  I'm still laughing over that one.  
Keep 'em coming!

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #55 - 08/22/08 at 13:39:39

bill67 wrote on 08/22/08 at 07:11:07:

Elbows down on ordinary street tyres in Deals Gap and around a roundabout in Peterborough, UK. I wonder if these bikes could lean any further and corner faster on a set of some 155/80-15 all season specials. On a perfect day I just barely dare to get me knee down on my commuter bike with commuter tyres but wouldn't try it with car rubber. 

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 08/22/08 at 14:27:00

I think this is the application you're looking for...

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #57 - 08/23/08 at 06:09:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/22/08 at 06:35:13:
Jack_650, If you cannot find a tire locally, go to Wal-Mart.com and search for tires.  Once you get to the tire selector, punch in 155-80r15.  You will get the raised white letter TA we have been talking about as that is the only one they have got.

Punch in the stuff to buy the tire -- during this process you will given a set of stores in the zip code you live in to chose from.  Pick one.  It doesn't matter if they have a tire store or not, the tire will show up at their Service Desk in about 3 days.  They will call you when it arrives. You pay for it there.  Total cost from Wal-Mart is same same as buying from Tire Rack as Tire Rack charges $15-$20 for shipping separately.

NOTE:  if you know someone who works for Wal-Mart they get a nice employee discount that works for internet ordered tires.

Oldfeller,

I just logged onto the Walmart site and it now says a 155/80-15 is not available.  Two or three days ago, I went to check the price and it was $85 with free shipping.  I attempted several different zip codes and got the same response, "no can do."  Something there has recently changed...

Therefore I got on ebay and ordered one, should be here in a handfull of days...and I saved $1.79 over the previous Walmart price Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #58 - 08/23/08 at 10:23:18

If WallMart is going to let me down then the hunt is on again.

Jack

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #59 - 08/23/08 at 13:31:44

Won't know until Monday but BFG may have discontinued the 155-80r-15. Walmart has seemed to drop them. Sears still show them on their computers but a phone call to the BFG automated help says not available.

So being the resourceful fella that I am I went online to Cocker Tire. They have several tires in the size range (125-155) from folks like Firestone, Michelin, etc. They also still list the BFG but there's no one to answer the phone until Monday morning either to see if they have any in stock. And they have the lowest price I've seen for the BFG with vary reasonable shipping.

Grrr . . .

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.