Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #105 - 09/03/08 at 02:30:42

SV og LS, I think we are confusing folks by flipping the discussion between rear tires and front tires when talking about mileage numbers.

Front tires generally get about twice as many miles as a rear tire does (on a Savage, anyway).  I replaced my OE IRC rear tire in the 5,300 mile range and my front as I hit about 10,000 miles.  Sluggo and I eat back tires about as bad as anyone around here, but my front tire mileage was fairly typical of the list experience at around 10,000 miles.  

(note: half of these front tire miles were done while mated with the car tire, so I don't think the car tire does anything bad to your front tire mileage)

Jack has replaced his back tire with something that is going to give him mileage up in the 20,000 mile range and he asked for a front tire that would give him something similar in mileage so he could have balance in his life, good karma, internal harmony and all that good stuff.  (ie. he doesn't have to screw with it for five years)

I clued him into an inexpensive front tire that will mate well with his back tire (good turning performance) and give him a mileage life of somewhat similar shape & size.  I know this because I run that front tire against my darkside rear tire right now on my Savage and I liked the tire well enough to put it on another bike as well.  So I can speak to it against bike and darkside rear tires.  

Read its reviews, for the rather moderate cost it is a very good front tire for our rather light bikes.  People put it on heavier Harleys and like it too.  It was built for heavier touring bikes than ours.

=======================

On a different note, I am looking at a $42 front exhaust pipe that I just got in to replace the dented one on my old blue SV curvy.  I am beginning to pretty the junker up now, I got me a case of the SV bug to a moderate degree now.  

darn but that bike MOOOOOVES right along ....   Lancer ol' buddy, I'll be ready for you on the next mountain run.

What are your experiences on first gen rectifiers vs small sealed batteries?  I am beginning to think mine may not be offering up optimal voltage to keep that little battery topped up with only the occasional running that it has been getting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #106 - 09/04/08 at 22:05:51

Quote:
There are very few 150/80-15 tyres available, if any. I commented earlier about how a larger than average, 158mm wide and 137mm high 150/90 Avon fits and in terms of clearance, 155/80 is easier because it is so much lower, as Jack650 told, easy peasy. A 150/90 doesn't handle that well especially when worn flat across the tread. It wants to follow every rut and groove, a pain in the arse in backroads to be honest.

Metzler, Bridgestone  and others make 150-80 R15 motorcyle tires, thats why I was asking, by looking at the 140-80 R15 tire that I currently have mounted, there seems to be enough clearance for a 150.  Any one disagree.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #107 - 09/05/08 at 01:24:04

Educatedredneck wrote on 09/04/08 at 22:05:51:
Quote:
There are very few 150/80-15 tyres available, if any. I commented earlier about how a larger than average, 158mm wide and 137mm high 150/90 Avon fits and in terms of clearance, 155/80 is easier because it is so much lower, as Jack650 told, easy peasy. A 150/90 doesn't handle that well especially when worn flat across the tread. It wants to follow every rut and groove, a pain in the arse in backroads to be honest.

Metzler, Bridgestone  and others make 150-80 R15 motorcyle tires, thats why I was asking, by looking at the 140-80 R15 tire that I currently have mounted, there seems to be enough clearance for a 150.  Any one disagree.

I took a look what one online tyre dealer has. There are 18 140/90 -15 tyres, 17 150/90 ones and only 3 150/80 tyres so the choice is much more limited. I've run 140/90 and 150/90 rears so based on that 150/80 may have issues with swingarm and/or belt clearance on the left side but should be safe on the front seam. If you have nearly 10mm of space or more in regards to belt and swing arm on the left you should be safe. Every brand is sized actually different so if I told you brand X 150/80 will fit it's not 100% sure brand Y 150/80 would fit exactly the same.  

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #108 - 09/05/08 at 01:49:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/03/08 at 02:30:42:
SV og LS, I think we are confusing folks by flipping the discussion between rear tires and front tires when talking about mileage numbers.

Front tires generally get about twice as many miles as a rear tire does (on a Savage, anyway).  

The mileage numbers I last mentioned were for rears. The fronts last a bit longer, although I see only a 50% increased life compared to rears. Last SV front - Continental Avenue, 39000kms. Last LS front - Dunlop Arrowmax, 45000 kms and replaced due to cupping.

These numbers are not a contest or anything but just to note that sport touring m/c tyres last surprisingly well especially on longer trips ridden moderately. You've had bad experience with IRCs just like anyone else. They don't last or grip but car tyres are not the only way of getting a longer tread life than 5 k / 10 k miles. I would be disappointed if I only got 10 k / 20 k miles out of tyres I use.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/03/08 at 02:30:42:
darn but that bike MOOOOOVES right along ....   Lancer ol' buddy, I'll be ready for you on the next mountain run.

What are your experiences on first gen rectifiers vs small sealed batteries?  I am beginning to think mine may not be offering up optimal voltage to keep that little battery topped up with only the occasional running that it has been getting.

Sportsters will be minced meat against a stock SV I reckon, there's nothing to worry about. I've had no problems with stock charging system and I still run the original 9 years old sealed battery. I remove it for the worst winter months and charge it gently every month (during winter storage) and keep the connections clean. It doesn't need charging if I for some reason have to leave the bike for a two or three weeks but I never do short trips. If I start the bike, I don't do shopping or short commutes so it's half a tankful at least.

A friend had bad experience with cheap Taiwanese sealed battery. It worked well for 3 years, then suddenly collapsed while on a gas station. Nothing happened when he turned the power on. It showed 12.8 volts but hadn't enough power for idiot LEDs. If you have to replace the battery, don't go for the cheapest.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 09/05/08 at 11:53:57

Very good information, thanks -- Lancer is moldy mincemeat rolling on Harley tires next time we go to the mountains !!   I am liking that SV650 engine more and more as the time I spend around it increases.  The little engine that could, and does, and then gets pissed off and does a lot more.

I lowered the bike enough to get me some significant bike tire friction rubs on the plastic inner flat water shedder (I hesitate to call it a fender), so I temporarily raised the bike one hole on the shock dog bones until I get time to fabricate an aluminum or stainless steel thin sheet metal section of the water shedder that will sit in the same area the tire wants to hit.  This will go flat to the fender rails, I think.

I want to run my flat wide racing car tire with the fender very low to the ground, and I KNOW now that the necessary clearance spacing will create occasional rubbing when going over speed bumps, etc.   Can't have the stock plastic water shedder melting on me -- need some metal to withstand the tire rubs that are going to take place.

I also wrapped the exhaust pipe between exhaust can and "Y" joint with white fiberglass wrapping to keep the pipe from eating up my pants leg -- so far so good on that fix.

« Last Edit: 09/05/08 at 17:32:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #110 - 09/05/08 at 22:28:32

Thanks for the response - I will take some measurements before I order the tires.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #111 - 09/07/08 at 20:02:15

Well, I finally got around to swapping rear tires.  Put in a BFG Radial T/A.  Oldfeller wasn't kidding, you need alot of pressure to seat the tire.  My air pump only puts out 80 PSI and that wasn't enough.  There's still a 10" long spot on one side that won't seat.  Well I'll go to the station down the street and see what their 150 psi pump can do.

I'm guessing around 100-110 psi should do the trick...I hope!

On another note, I agree with Justin_o_guy!  If you don't have problems taking a m/c tire off a rim with a few tire irons, then YOU CAN strangle a rhino and throw his dead carcass aside!   Shocked

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #112 - 09/08/08 at 00:43:44

Lots of dish washing soap, lots of it.

Also a wrassling trick, the bead you are currently working on needs to have the already on part pushed way down into the center of the tire.  This allows it to move "forward" more.  If it pops up and tries to bead seat itself it can make the job 4x harder than it needs to be.

Mojo air pressure is a must.  You need to know where you are going to get over 100 pound air pressure before you start the job, or you will be like me on the first one, going from station to station to find somebody who runs his air system at over 100 lbs setting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #113 - 09/08/08 at 16:38:12

POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Shocked Embarrassed :'(

Ok, the whole thing BLEW UP!  I guess I must not have used enough dish soap...and I think the truck bed liner spray I used to try to seal up the spoke holes somehow made it up to the rim.

Anyway, now I've got no tire, no tube, and nothing on the way.  I can't wait for another shot next weekend, I gotta get this thing up and back on the road.

My ears are STILL ringing, that was the loudest explosion I can remember hearing!  It was MUCH louder than a 30-06 rifle!  I won't make that mistake again.  If I can't seat the bead with 80 psi or less, I won't chance that again.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #114 - 09/08/08 at 16:41:07

Oh yeah, and just to let everybody know how powerful an explosion that was, it completely shredded my saddle bag on that side and bruised my arm when it got launched into my forearm.

Guess those saddlebags were a good investment after all!  Saved my arm.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #115 - 09/08/08 at 17:35:22

I think a picture is needed here.  Gotta have a picture ....

Gort & Sluggo can't laugh as good as I know they can laugh without a picture to show them.

You were riding around on a partially seated tire, mounted on the bike, trying to inflate it somewhere and it blew up.    Because the truck bed liner spray you had sprayed on the spoke heads got on to the rim ???

============

OK, I recant, totally no less -- car tires are too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

Riding in the mountains is too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

I am too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

I still want a picture.

I am going to print it out and frame it and put it over my computer as a reminder.

Then I am going to park all my motorcycles, unload all my guns and sit in front of the TV, get senile and ossified and try to  "act my age".

Just show me the picture, please.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #116 - 09/08/08 at 17:49:19

Yes, I rode about 2 miles to a station that has a 125 psi pump.  I stopped to seat the tire and POW!

My ears are STILL ringing, and I didn't have the presence of mind sufficient to take pictures.  I had to call my wife to come get me with the van and trailer.

The other part of this whole thing that chaps me is I spent $10 on dynabeads to balance the rear tire and they flew everywhere... Undecided

I may be able to laugh about this tomorrow, but right now... Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 09/08/08 at 17:59:49

Aaaak!

What did they say when the tire blew up?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #118 - 09/08/08 at 18:05:10

"HOLY COW!  You ok?  That was the loudest explosion I've ever heard.  Ya' know, that line has about 125 psi in it?  I cut it down for out here but that compressor puts out about 175 psi.  Do you know how much pressure it had in it before the tire gave up?"

"Yep, yep, nope."

"How you gonna get that thing home?"

"Hmmm....you got a phone?"

Just about then two police cars and a fire truck come by with the lights and sirens on and the lead cop is looking around like he's expecting to see some destroyed building or something...

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #119 - 09/08/08 at 18:13:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/08/08 at 17:35:22:
I think a picture is needed here.  Gotta have a picture ....

Gort & Sluggo can't laugh as good as I know they can laugh without a picture to show them.

You were riding around on a partially seated tire, mounted on the bike, trying to inflate it somewhere and it blew up.    Because the truck bed liner spray you had sprayed on the spoke heads got on to the rim ???

============

OK, I recant, totally no less -- car tires are too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

Riding in the mountains is too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

I am too dangerous for list members to be messing with.

I still want a picture.

I am going to print it out and frame it and put it over my computer as a reminder.

Then I am going to park all my motorcycles, unload all my guns and sit in front of the TV, get senile and ossified and try to  "act my age".

Just show me the picture, please.

Sorry Crazyfeller...er...I mean, Oldfeller  Wink, I almost immediatlely threw the saddlebags away and as soon as I got home I broke the rim down and got it ready for a new tire.

I don't think this is cause for concern, no need to overreact...I've only changed a few dozen car tires myself, I just need a little more practice.  On a similar note, I've never had any success with m/c tires, I even botched the job on my dirtbike and had to take it to the dealer and pay the $50 for him to mount it in shame, after ruining no less than two tubes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:36:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.