Send Topic Print
Some advice please. (Read 85 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Some advice please.
08/15/08 at 20:42:04

I want to keep this short.  My wife and I recently bought a guest cottage and had it moved to our property and I am now setting it up.  This means our old guest cottage becomes my motorcycle shop!!!!  My bike is a 1986 and I am looking forward (gulp) to working on it.  This winter what should I check out?  The rear brakes have been done since I owned it (last year).  It does need the oil plug replaced.  I had the clutch plate off last year looking for and oil leak and in all the excitement of not snapping off a nut I forgot to measure the cam chain adjuster but it seemed OK to me.
I replaced the gasket and also bought a spare.  I do have the updated cam chain from Lancer but don't wont to do it unless it is absolutely nescesary since I would rather stick needles in people than do mechanics!!  
Old invoices from previous owners state fork seals were done at 7000 miles, new drive belt at 8000 miles.  (It must be an American model since the speedo is in miles.)  Presently has 14,000 miles.
Some spots of rust I want to take care of, and am wondering if I should just use Tremclad black rust paint after sanding down the rust areas.  
I want to have a clean machine but not too glorious.
Thanks for feedback.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Some advice please.
Reply #1 - 08/15/08 at 20:51:27

I know I'm getting an ulcer expecting my cam chain to leap out of its sprocket, wrap around my neck, and kill me and the bike.  If my dang muffler ever gets here, that will be the first thing I check.  I don't really want to pull the exhaust off twice, so I'm waiting.  But the waiting is killing me.  I'd measure that if I were you.

My head plug is leaking too, so that is what I'll be working on this winter.  

Congrats on the new shop.  I'm still working on Kay's reluctance to have a motorcycle in her kitchen this winter.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/15/08 at 21:09:30

Only 2 known problems with your bike, cam chain and starter.

I would look at the tensioner and make a measurement, send it to me and I'll make a guess when you need to work on it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192027390

And I'd look at doing the shutdown decompression mod so you don't loose your starter.

WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #3 - 08/15/08 at 21:49:39

verslagen1 wrote on 08/15/08 at 21:09:30:
Only 2 known problems with your bike, cam chain and starter.

I would look at the tensioner and make a measurement, send it to me and I'll make a guess when you need to work on it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192027390

And I'd look at doing the shutdown decompression mod so you don't loose your starter.

So is the decompression mod the one in the tech section hosted by Savage Greg?
DocNeedles

IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #4 - 08/15/08 at 21:54:25

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/15/08 at 20:51:27:
I know I'm getting an ulcer expecting my cam chain to leap out of its sprocket, wrap around my neck, and kill me and the bike.  If my dang muffler ever gets here, that will be the first thing I check.  I don't really want to pull the exhaust off twice, so I'm waiting.  But the waiting is killing me.  I'd measure that if I were you.

My head plug is leaking too, so that is what I'll be working on this winter.  

Congrats on the new shop.  I'm still working on Kay's reluctance to have a motorcycle in her kitchen this winter.

The brother of a friend of mine in my teen years in Toronto was Vice-Pres of a motorcycle gang.  He had an Ariel square four that he took into the basement of his mothers house to rebuild.  He did this and then realized to get it out he had to go up the basement steps and that the bike was too big for the doorway so he had to rip out the doorway to get it into the kitchen and then out the basement door!!  He also with the same bike was driving to work and the bike was going great and then he slowed and stopped.  He found that his lunch cheese sandwiches had fallen out of his jacket and got sucked into an air scoop on his carb.
So it goes.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 22:00:57

Oh, man!  I am just laughing myself silly.

Can't you just picture the next meeting?  

"Alright!  Alright!  Quiet down now yous guys.  This meeting of the Riotous Road Roosters is now in session.  Come to disorder.  Now, first off, we have an important cheese sandwich bulletin that everyone needs to read.  It seems that the size of a piece of bread directly corresponds to...."

Thanks.  You just made my night. Grin

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/15/08 at 22:35:02

DocNeedles wrote on 08/15/08 at 21:49:39:
So is the decompression mod the one in the tech section hosted by Savage Greg?
DocNeedles

It's called decoout
I saved the circuit diagram and a parts list.
yours if you want them.
don't know if there's a thread left of how it's used.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:41:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some advice please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.