Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel Suddenly Locked Up Momentarily (Read 195 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Rear Wheel Suddenly Locked Up Momentarily
08/14/08 at 19:20:42

Funny occurrence today:

I was only a few minutes into the day's ride.  I was putting along in second gear, light throttle, going about 15-20 mph.

Suddenly, I heard a moderate clunk and the rear wheel locked up for about half-a-second.  Then, everything was back to normal.  If I didn't know better, I'd say it felt like I'd stomped it into first with a closed throttle and dumped the clutch lever out while going 30 mph.

I stopped and looked everything over.....no joy.

I remember something like this happening about five years ago with this bike.  That time, I was going only about 10 mph in second gear and the bike skidded to a halt.  Started right up, though.

Thoughts?  Should I suspect gearbox trouble.  It didn't feel like an electrical cutout.  Just to double check, I hit the kill switch while I was in second going 15 mph.  The fire went out (as suspected) but the engine kept turning.  The engine braking did not cause the rear wheel to lock up when I did this test.

My bike is in my signature. 9100 miles, basically stock except for some air-screw diddling.  It usually runs great.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Re: Rear Wheel Suddenly Locked Up Momentarily
Reply #1 - 08/14/08 at 19:27:53

Sounds like you kicked up a rock or some sort of debris into the drive belt, and it tossed it out. It happened to me once, coming out of a parking lot that had loose grape sized gravel....Jammed me enough that the back tire skidded about 12 inches.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 08/14/08 at 19:47:12

Savage,

Interesting thought.  I'll check the belt for any obvious damage.

Any other ideas?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 08/14/08 at 21:19:49

Rock sounds like an extremely likely culprit.  Stopping your rear wheel enough to skid requires a lot of force, and if something in the engine caused it, I would think that it wouldn't be a one-time problem.  

I guess a good question to ask someone else would be this-

If you shut the engine off while still running at speed but didnt disengage the clutch, would the engine stop rotating completely (which would lock up the rear tire) or would the rear tire have enough torque to keep the engine turning over?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 08/14/08 at 22:44:05

I would remove the rear wheel and clean and inspect the 3 bearings back there, or consider replacing them if there is any roughness or  catching when you rotate them with a load radially, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 10:42:03

My vote goes with savage2k's rock idea...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 08/15/08 at 12:49:58

Yeah, I read that and immediately said rock in the belt as well.

Rotate the wheel and look for a gouge on the pulley or a chip taken from the belt.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 19:41:04

Bobbert wrote on 08/14/08 at 21:19:49:
.....If you shut the engine off while still running at speed but didnt disengage the clutch, would the engine stop rotating completely (which would lock up the rear tire) or would the rear tire have enough torque to keep the engine turning over?

Rob,

I tested that.  On a cold engine, I got going about 20 mph in second then hit the kill switch.  The fire went out, but the engine kept turning as I decelerated.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/15/08 at 19:44:23

I think Savage2k got it (thanks!).

I looked at my belt today.  There was evidence of a tarry rock being stuck in there recently.

Luckily, there was no damage to the belt or the sprocket.  Although the evidence is circumstantial, I'll apply Occam's Razor and call this one solved.

Thanks, all, I would have never thought of that as the cause of my little incident.

End of problem.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/15/08 at 20:11:09

Digger wrote on 08/15/08 at 19:44:23:
I think Savage2k got it (thanks!).

I looked at my belt today.  There was evidence of a tarry rock being stuck in there recently.

Luckily, there was no damage to the belt or the sprocket.  Although the evidence is circumstantial, I'll apply Occam's Razor and call this one solved.

Thanks, all, I would have never thought of that as the cause of my little incident.

End of problem.

You're welcome......If it hadn't happened to me, I may have guessed differently....Glad there was no major damage. Still pretty frightening when a wheel locks up though Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/15/08 at 23:29:55

I'll apply Occam's Razor and call this one solved.

I would just let the tar wear off. Scraping with a razor could cut the belt. Occam's razor MAY be safe tho, since its so old & Ive never heard of anyone sharpening it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 00:07:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel Suddenly Locked Up Momentarily

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.