Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alloy/Chrome wheels (Read 304 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Alloy/Chrome wheels
08/13/08 at 19:32:53

I'm wondering why I have not noticed any custom wheels on savages or s40's?  Are there any wheels besides our wire wheels that will fit our bikes? Undecided

IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Re: Alloy/Chrome wheels
Reply #1 - 08/14/08 at 05:57:23

I have seen a thread on here where a guy had swapped the front wheel of another bike model and placed it on his savage. That is the extent of wheel changing I have seen thus far. It would be nice to be able to switch out the spokes for something different if we so chose. I wouldn't mind having the front wheel of a M109R. Good luck in your search efforts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/14/08 at 07:31:57

Yes, but none of them are a direct swap.  You'll have to inventive in some cases.

If you are looking for alloy wheels, the GS450 is a good donor.

Look for the thread 'whale'

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 08/14/08 at 07:50:49

Most of what we do to the Savage is not a direct swap.  It takes a bit of fabrication to make other parts fit and look good.

I don't like alloy wheels, especially on a motorcycle.  Too much maintenance, too soft of a material.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/14/08 at 13:46:15

Laced wheels are just a classic look on a cruiser.I would bet if it came with mags,we'd be switching to laced.Most Harley guys can't wait to pull their mags off.Billets for Hd start at about 500 bucks a wheel.Then if you get into a wider front wheel,you will have to widen the forks.Hence Harley's Narrow glide,and Wideglide frontends.But they were smart,they made everything interchangable.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/14/08 at 21:07:21

Thanks guys!  Maybe I will keep the spokes and get wild and maybe paint the spokes  Shocked  that would be different!

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #6 - 08/14/08 at 21:57:59

My spokes were painted black when I got my Savage.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 07:52:34

I had wide 17" alloy rims laced onto KLX's std. hubs with stainless spokes. The stainless wipes clean but the rims take a bit of work.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
SavageDanny
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/15/08 at 09:21:45

flcruzr wrote on 08/14/08 at 21:07:21:
Thanks guys!  Maybe I will keep the spokes and get wild and maybe paint the spokes  Shocked  that would be different!

Go Wild! I was thinking of doing the same thing. Please post pictures if you do it.

Flat Black 88

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/15/08 at 19:06:01

SavageDanny wrote on 08/15/08 at 09:21:45:
flcruzr wrote on 08/14/08 at 21:07:21:

Go Wild! I was thinking of doing the same thing. Please post pictures if you do it.

I'm thinking of tackling this project next weekend, if I do, I will definitely post pics afterwards, so i'll keep everyone posted.  Dare to be different!   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 08/16/08 at 04:44:11

Search through the old Suzuki GS series (550, 650, 750 & 850) of bikes, many of the mid to late 70's and early 80's wheels are interchangable with the Savage; both spoke and mag style; single and dual disc very possible.  I have a set of '83 GS550 forks and an '82 dual disc mag wheel.
The rear wheels come in 15", 16" and 18", depending on the year and model.  There are quite a few variations among the assorted years, size and models.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/16/08 at 06:19:42

Hey Lancer,  I figured out what was wrong with my bike.   She was all moody and upset the week before the mountain trip and she acted kinda sluggish when we were high up in the mountains.   I couldn't figure it out at all but it became obvious this morning when I went out to the garage.

She was preggers -- I should have known better than to garage her in the same space with a peppy little v-twin.  Now I got me a small light low-seated mongrel to take care of.  Its got alloy wheels and its feet are kinda big like its momma's - dunno how big its going to get if it grows into those big feet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/16/08 at 07:56:53

As it's already been pointed out, many of the GS wheels fit without a lot of moding. The front was'nt much, and the rear is'nt bad if you convert to chain, may just need an offset sprocket and a little spacer work. Since most who want to change something on thier Savage have to build it themselves, since aftermarket is virtually non existant, does that make the Savage one of the most real customized bikes?

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/16/08 at 08:38:42

onederer:  cool mod with your mags...yes, i'm starting to realize that once we start wanting to add things to our bikes, they really are being customized to the fullest. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/16/08 at 10:52:54

Onederer, you running tubeless?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 19:29:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alloy/Chrome wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.