Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kickstand and switch removal (Read 174 times)
Thump05
YaBB Newbies

2005 S 40 Boulevard

Mt. Vernon, IL
Kickstand and switch removal
08/16/08 at 09:11:51

I have a 2005 S 40 Boulevard. My neutral switch stays on in gear and my bike starts and runs with the kickstand up or down. There is a switch under the kickstand but it looks like a bear to get to. Am I looking in the right place to fix this problem? Undecided

Thump05
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Kickstand and switch removal
Reply #1 - 08/16/08 at 10:33:17

two different switches. the kickstand switch is troublesome to get to. they may have just come unplugged. did you buy it new? maybe the po disabled them.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/16/08 at 10:44:18

Neutral light switch is a grounding switch single wire as I remember. If it is shorted to ground any place along the way it will light the light. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/16/08 at 10:46:51

N switch is inside the clutch cover & the wires coming up out of it are for the N switch. I wouldnt know how to make it work right w/o being there & studying it, time for a pic of the diagram & a volt/ohm meter. You may wind up pulling that side off to solve it. If you want the sidestand interlock to work, most likely it just needs plugged in. Look for a wire that is just hanging close to it that is shorted together, to "tell" the bike the stand is up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/16/08 at 17:44:36

Agree with max.  The neutral switch wire is probably rubbed thru somewhere and shorting.  The "in engine" part of the N switch is not adjustable (very simple device too).

If in neutral,  it doesn't matter if the kick-stand is up or down...... so if the wire is shorted somewhere it will think it's in neutral and disregard the kickstand.

Circuit that does that is the "side-stand diode"  assembly (two diodes, one to light the N light, and the other to pass the ground to the side stand realy (bypassing the side-stand switch). The Relay is part of the path for power to get to the ign coil (starter switch too).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Thump05
YaBB Newbies

2005 S 40 Boulevard

Mt. Vernon, IL
Reply #5 - 08/17/08 at 12:45:56

Thanks for all of the help so far. I am first going check for shorts since I did have my tank off recently when I added a Tach. If I find there is a short somewhere under the tank, most likely near the coil and since it seems the circuit is negative logic logic that should solve my problem. If I do not find a short I have one major question - where is the neutral switch and how do I get to it?

Thump05
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/17/08 at 14:20:46

Neutral wire is a blue wire (white stripe) and it's a sinlge wire that goes into a connector under the tank, but more towards the rear of the engine.      It does go into a black plastic cover then it travles down to the bottom right of the engine.

To test,  Using a continuity checker/ ohmmeter , take the tank off.  Find the connector.  Disconnect it.   Put  the bike in gear.  Test for continuity(a connection/ closed circuit) to ground.  In gear it should be an open circuit.  Then, put the bike in neutral, ....check again,  you should then get continuity.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 15:25:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand and switch removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.