Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alloy/Chrome wheels (Read 304 times)
Onederer
Ex Member

Re: Alloy/Chrome wheels
Reply #15 - 08/16/08 at 21:23:18

Yes, there're tubeless. It makes flat repair on the road easier.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #16 - 08/16/08 at 22:42:25

I thought alloy on the Savage would look awkward, but those wheels are cool. I like the flat repair aspect as well. I hate to think about having a flat on the road.
What kind of bike did those come off of, and how much work was it to get them to fit the Savage?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/16/08 at 23:33:53

As far as I am concerned, a wheel can look awkward, & Ill still like it, IF its wearing a tubeless tire. Ive had 2 flats on the back in 3 years..not funny.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/17/08 at 09:00:38

Here's the shakedown on what I've done.

The fron wheel is a 19" like the stocker. It came from a GS450 or 500 something. Most the front wheels I've seen of this style have provisions for dual disc, but use a plastic cover on the unused side for single disc use.The front tire I was useing was allready tubeless so I just swaped it over. I sandblasted the wheel and hit i with some primer then gloss black paint( powdercoat will still chip if a rock hits it hard enough, so paint is much easier to touch up). They take paint well, someone color keying them would look sweet. The bearings were the rite size for the axle so I left them in. I took what I needed off the factory spacers unitll the wheel was centered between the forks(the hub is wider than the factory spoke wheel) I used a solid style rotor form another GS which is about the rite thickness(could be turned down a little if wanted, though not needed). The GS rotor diameter is to big, so I took the stock Savage rotor and the GS rotor to a machine shop and had the GS's diameter machined to that of the stock Savage rotor. I used washers and longer bolts(grade 8) to shim the caliper to center the rotor(after fining the rite thickness of shim, have a machine shop make some shims, it'll look better). Thats it, not much to the front wheel. Get yer parts from E-bay, or what I like to do is wonder around the salvage yard looking at the goodies and measureing things and picture what will fit the easiest.

The rear wheel is more involved. There are a couple of ways you can go here, but niether will be a whole lot different in amount of time to modify, or thought needed. I chose to go with a 16"  drum brake wheel. When useing the drum brake, the stock Savage brake plate/shoes works perfect, no need to fab a new brake system. The spacing is gona take some time. If useing the drum brake mags the brake plate(when the wheel is space properly) is too far away from the holding tab on the swingarm, so something needs to be done there. The pulley will not bolt up, without a custom adapter which is $$ because there are none in production. Converting to a chain is the easiest way to go here, but you'll need a offset sprocket. The other option is the disc brake mag GS wheels. I belive the pulley will bolt up, because the disc wheels have a larger sprocket bolt pattern, but spacers may still be needed. Welding a caliper bracket to the swingarm is not difficult but fabing the master cylinder to work with the pedal is a tight fit, and you'll want it up high enough it does'nt drag in turns. Basically, the drum brake wheels require a change to the final drive, and the disc brake wheels require a change of the braking system. Its a matter of level of mechanical aptitude on this one.

I've mentioned it before, but to my knowledge no one has done it yet. How about lacing some black aluminum rims to the stock hubs painted black, useing chrome spokes. Not any moding to do to the factory parts, and youd have lighter custom wheels.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/17/08 at 09:06:16

thanks..Now, if ONLY I knew how to grab stuff outta these posts & stick them in a folder for looking at later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 21:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alloy/Chrome wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.