Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tool kit and various woes (Read 93 times)
Rock_Steady
YaBB Newbies

Get off my lawn!

Tool kit and various woes
08/12/08 at 08:11:49

Hi all.  New owner '96 in yellow.  I am also a new motorcycle owner - I know nothing.  The bike I got is sound mechanically, but I'm starting to see that it has some cosmetic problems (hopefully not more than that) from a drop or two.  The bike is an original 96 with only 1600 miles on it.  I think that my handlebars are a bit off, but I can't tell if they are bent or if just the supports are bent.  Any way of telling?

Also, there is nothing in my toolkit.  What should be there/ what do I have to buy?

Good....Bad....I'm the one with the gun.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Tool kit and various woes
Reply #1 - 08/12/08 at 08:32:48

naw the stock tool kit tools are pretty weak - the spark plug wrench is handy because of how thin it is - but thin walled higher quality socket can be had - the belt tension tool is interesting - but you really don't need it just adjust the belt with a 90deg twist method - as you start to work on it you'll know what to carry - such as a really useful 10mm socket/wrench before you can do much of anything - I think the tech section has a list of the tools on the oem bag.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/13/08 at 00:43:12

Like Reelthing said, the OEM toolkit isn't much to be missed. Cobble together your own. As for the risers vs handlebar question, if the bike had been dropped, my bet would be on a bend on the handlebars. Those risers are pretty tuff stuff.
I had a Honda CB750 back a ways, and it used to seem to want to pull to the right. I looked at handlebars, wheel alignment, tire mounting, triple tree, the list goes on. Turned out the problem was the right side of the fork was just a wee tad warped after a hard impact with a curb, by the PO. I might never have found it if I hadn't needed to replace the fork seals, it was that slight; but with the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel at speed, it really exaggerated the problem.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/08 at 03:50:54

If the forks are tweaked from it hitting the ground you can straighten them up. Take a string, not stretchy stuff, & attach it, tie it to the front tire, so it's dead center on the tire, then measure to each handlebar end. If one is longer than the other, its tweaked, loosen tripl trees & straighten it up. You can use that same string & go to the frame & prove that the front wheel is pointed straight ahead & then look at handlebars relative to frame. You can "prove" any place on the front end & find out if the crooked part is forks or bars. If you can measure the front wheel as straight & the triple tree is square to it all, but the bars are wompy, then its bars or risers..
Good luck & welcome.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:37:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tool kit and various woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.