Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaky New Rear Brakes (Read 114 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Squeaky New Rear Brakes
08/06/08 at 21:09:17

Hi all i have a question i recently put new EBC rear brakes on my savage and it will not quick squeaking how long does it take for them to quit? my front only did it for a couple days or so then it quit ? and how do you know if they are adjusted right how far should your pedal go down ?

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Squeaky New Rear Brakes
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 21:13:17

I adjust mine with the bike on a stand.

I make sure the rear wheel spins freely when the rear brake pedal is not depressed.  Then, I adjust it so that the pedal barely has to move before the brake is engaged.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 21:38:39

How well did they fit in the drum?

My EBC's in the front didn't squeal at all.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 03:07:23

Digger's advice on adjusting rear brakes does not take into account resting your foot on the petal during long trips.  This can cause brake dragging and really poor power and gas mileage on an open-road trip.

When I go on a trip I loosen the screw on the back brake rod about four (4) turns to make some extra slack for my foot to relax upon as the miles pile up and that brake petal becomes a long-distance foot rest.

When you hit town again, stop and tighten your brake rod nut back up four turns -- it can be as simple as that to avoid the brake dragging on an open-road trip issue.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 05:04:14

I thought surely I was alone in my use of the shifter & brake as footrests. I even do it around town & I dont adjust the nut. I have the brake adjusted to allow a small drop in the pedal before it engages the brake, to force my ankle into some extension before the brake starts doing its job, which helps me not hit the brake too hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 06:57:23

Did you replace those rear shoes for fun, or did you actually wear them out? If you wore them out, how did you do it? The front brake is supposed to provide most of the stopping power - if you use it.

The brake pedal is supposed to have an inch to an inch-and-a-half travel before it starts applying the brake. The brake light is supposed to come on before the brake actually applies. If you are using the brake pedal as a foot rest, you might want to find out if the brake light is on while you are doing it. If it is, there won't be any warning to the tailgater behind you when you really do brake.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 13:19:08

I adjust the foot on the pegs & let off the pedal  before braking for a light, BUt, an emergency could arise, so, i will have the wife give it a look at & see if I am running down the road w/ brakelight on, Thanks!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/11/08 at 13:27:42

The folks who always have their rear brake set up all tight all the time probably do wear out a set of brake linings fairly quickly -- takes hundreds of gallons of gas to do it, but they manage to accomplish it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #8 - 08/12/08 at 22:35:26

well the rear brakes were already shot when i got the bike so i had a shop put them on i probably have to push down on the pedal 2 inches or more to get it to stop and it squeaks like i don't know what and the nut is adjusted in a little more than an inch so i would say something isn't right.

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/12/08 at 22:55:55

If a shop did that for you, take it back.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaky New Rear Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.