Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for Petcock Guru's (Read 114 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Question for Petcock Guru's
08/11/08 at 21:38:23

I've not yet had the petcock apart on my bike (see signature).

However, a while back, I developed what appeared to be a diaphragm leak that was letting gas into the petcock vacuum line, thus making the bike run rich intermittently.  Luckily, Serowbot diagnosed that one for me.

Well, I then disconnected the vacuum line from the petcock, plugged the vacuum port at the petcock and then plugged the top part of the vacuum line.  The bike's been running great ever since.

When I shut the engine off, I position the petcock to ON.  Before I start the engine, I position the petcock to PRI.  I realize that I'm essentially running on RES at all times, but I want to emphasize two things:  This is not a problem for me, the way I ride the bike, and I do not consider having to reposition the petcock all the time an inconvenience.  As an old-school biker, this is "normal ops" for me.  As a matter of fact, I find myself wanting the shut my Gold Wing's non-existent petcock off when I shut the engine down on that bike.....and it has fuel injection!    Grin

Are you still with me?  Here's my question:

I realize I should either do the manual petcock mod, or buy a new petcock.  However, is there any way the petcock could leak gas into the petcock fuel line when the petcock is set to ON and there is no vacuum being applied to the petcock vacuum port?

If gas can't leak out under those conditions, I see no need to do the manual petcock mod.  I can happily continue on doing what I'm doing (remember, having a RES capability is not important to me).  However, like I said earlier, I have no way of knowing this as I've never had one of these petcocks apart.

I do, however, plan to remove the petcock vacuum line altogether and plug the intake manifold vacuum port itself.

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question for Petcock Guru's
Reply #1 - 08/11/08 at 22:08:30

Not 100% sure, but I don't think it can leak.  If you really don't want a reserve, I guess you're o.k.
It's not that hard to do the convert though, if you change your mind or have a problem later.
When you block off the vac line permanent, use a screw with a dab of epoxy or something on it, not just a rubber cap. Mine rotted away, so I sealed it up good.
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 22:54:09

Yes, If the diaphram has a hole in it then it will leak, it doesn't need vacuum to do that.  100% sure.

The diaphram is constructed of a thin rubber sheet, backed up with a plastic washer and preloaded with a metal leaf spring and a compression spring.  This assy has a plunger on the gas side with an o-ring to shut off the gas.

Guess what? this area loads up with sediment and corrosion.  Enough sediment and white gas boogers and it's going to hold the valve open.

If you converted the petcock to manual, what you could do is replace the diaphram assy with a rubber sheet.  Then you wouldn't need to worry about a leak.

You guys with balky engines at speed... try tightening up the four screws on the back of the petcock.  It's possible the vacuum leak is there.

WWW   IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #3 - 08/12/08 at 09:22:11

I gave up on my petcock several years ago, removed the vacuum line, and capped the the carb and petcock vacuum ports.
Used the bike this way with no ill effects.

This past fall, when preparing my bike for winter storage, I pulled the drain plug on the carb float bowl to drain the gas.  After filling a small can with gas and not seeing the fuel flow stop, I moved the petcock from On to Prime and then back to On to see if the fuel flow would stop.  It did not stop, so just for grins I removed the cap on the petcock vacuum port to see what would happen.  The fuel flow stopped, WTF??.

Now, instead of a cap, I have attached a hose routed down below the bike, kind of like the vent line on the battery.  Everything seems to be working ok for now.  I cannot explain why removing the cap from the petcock vacuum port stopped the fuel flow.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/12/08 at 11:37:54

ls650v wrote on 08/12/08 at 09:22:11:
This past fall, when preparing my bike for winter storage, I pulled the drain plug on the carb float bowl to drain the gas.  After filling a small can with gas and not seeing the fuel flow stop, I moved the petcock from On to Prime and then back to On to see if the fuel flow would stop.  It did not stop, so just for grins I removed the cap on the petcock vacuum port to see what would happen.  The fuel flow stopped, WTF??.

Apparently your diaphram is whole and you developed abit of vacuum under you capped port keeping the gas on.

The problem of 'venting' the cap as you've done, when the diaphram does fail, you'll leave a trail of gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/12/08 at 21:52:27

verslagen1 wrote on 08/11/08 at 22:54:09:
Yes, If the diaphram has a hole in it then it will leak, it doesn't need vacuum to do that.  100% sure.

The diaphram is constructed of a thin rubber sheet, backed up with a plastic washer and preloaded with a metal leaf spring and a compression spring.  This assy has a plunger on the gas side with an o-ring to shut off the gas.

Guess what? this area loads up with sediment and corrosion.  Enough sediment and white gas boogers and it's going to hold the valve open.

If you converted the petcock to manual, what you could do is replace the diaphram assy with a rubber sheet.  Then you wouldn't need to worry about a leak.

You guys with balky engines at speed... try tightening up the four screws on the back of the petcock.  It's possible the vacuum leak is there.

Ver,

Thanks for the info.  So, Lazy Man (me) could just take out the four screws on the back of the petcock and replace the diaphragm with a flat Nitrile rubber sheet and bolt 'er back up?

This way, I'd not have to remove the petcock from the tank.  It's not leaking there now and I see no need to fool with that seal unless I have to.

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/12/08 at 22:45:07

Digger wrote on 08/12/08 at 21:52:27:
Thanks for the info.  So, Lazy Man (me) could just take out the four screws on the back of the petcock and replace the diaphragm with a flat Nitrile rubber sheet and bolt 'er back up?

Well you lazy b'tard, at least take the tank off the bike!   Grin
And take the time to clean out the sand that might be in there.

I've thinking of adding a tour tank on the bars.  And I'm thinking of converting the petcock to manual.  Corking up the vac tap on the carb.  take out the diaphram, replace it with a open gasket.  And use the vac tap on the back of the petcock to feed in the tour tank.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/13/08 at 01:21:50

verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/08 at 22:45:07:
/quote]I've thinking of adding a tour tank on the bars.  And I'm thinking of converting the petcock to manual.  Corking up the vac tap on the carb.  take out the diaphram, replace it with a open gasket.  And use the vac tap on the back of the petcock to feed in the tour tank.

That sounds really trick, but...where's off?...
...actually, I've done the pet-convert, 2 years ago, and I never turn the gas off.  I know...if the float needle fails, gas will pour, but I've never had that happen in over 30 years...I like the idea really,... you can go right into the open vac port!...never would have thought of it....If you found a mounting place, higher than the petc0ck, but lower than the top of the gas tank, might it fill right from the tank?...you'd need to vent it.
Sorry if this is a highjack....

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #8 - 08/13/08 at 03:39:06

verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/08 at 11:37:54:
The problem of 'venting' the cap as you've done, when the diaphram does fail, you'll leave a trail of gas.

I will take my chances.  How many people on the forum have reported gas pouring out of the petcock vacuum port?  None that I know of.  Better to dump gas on the ground than onto a hot engine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/13/08 at 07:22:20

ls650v wrote on 08/13/08 at 03:39:06:
I will take my chances.  How many people on the forum have reported gas pouring out of the petcock vacuum port?  None that I know of.  Better to dump gas on the ground than onto a hot engine.

None because they capped it.
And there has been reports of gas dripping into the intake via the vac line.
So your decission, your bike.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/13/08 at 07:24:13

Serowbot wrote on 08/13/08 at 01:21:50:
That sounds really trick, but...where's off?...
...actually, I've done the pet-convert, 2 years ago, and I never turn the gas off.  I know...if the float needle fails, gas will pour, but I've never had that happen in over 30 years...I like the idea really,... you can go right into the open vac port!...never would have thought of it....If you found a mounting place, higher than the petc0ck, but lower than the top of the gas tank, might it fill right from the tank?...you'd need to vent it.
Sorry if this is a highjack....

You did plug one of the ports with a set screw didn't you?
Off for the tour tank will be a sepparate petcock for it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/13/08 at 07:56:28

Yep, I did,...I was talking about the vac-side spare tank...show us when it's done, o.k.?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 08/13/08 at 20:00:19

verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/08 at 22:45:07:
Digger wrote on 08/12/08 at 21:52:27:

Well you lazy b'tard, at least take the tank off the bike!   Grin
And take the time to clean out the sand that might be in there......

The tank will already be off, as I will be checking valve clearances and torquing head bolts.

I also intend to check the cam chain adjuster on this next maintenance cycle and perhaps install a Verslavy, if required.

Now, does anyone know where I can purchase some Nitrile rubber gasket stock?

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:55:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question for Petcock Guru's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.