Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie (Read 203 times)
freeindeed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

06/22/08 at 18:31:40

Hello, I have been lurking for about a week or so. Just found this board after purchasing my o4 savage with only 450 miles. I paid 2200 for it and think I got a good deal. Its my first bike and could not find anything this nice and new for the $. I am riding but am starting the MSC this week. I see everybody here is very happy with their bikes. I don't know a thing about it and it is stock. Are there any things I should know? Strong points, weak points, you guys like them for a reason. I have a lot of questions but I guess I can ask as I go as I need.

This seems to be a great site with a lot of helpful members. Thanks in advance, and oh yea, my name is Adam. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - 06/22/08 at 18:47:10

I think you got a good deal too.

welcome aboard!   Smiley

At 450 miles, you have a long way to go before the biggest issue will crop up, cam chain tensioner.  So read up and enjoy.

Keep her full of oil, valves adjusted and she'll be happy.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 06/22/08 at 18:51:34

Welcome !!!

Strong points,  the bike is easy to work on.  It looks good and surprises people with the torque it has.   A lot of Harley parts fit it.   The bike is almost unchanged for 22 years ( can't be that bad of a design..   Wink  ).  It can be real fun once you get comfortable riding it.   It get around 50 MPG & some people get 60....

Weak points.... hmmmmm ... we don't like talking about them.....,  it's old school so you need to keep up on the periodic maintenance. The oil is it's life blood, so keep an eye on it, and change it regularly.    It could use a slight taller 5th gear.  Above 85 you will know it (I still had more throttle but..... ).   There aren't many listing in the aftermarket Parts world.    It's better for people under 6 foot.   Many people don't like the seat, (I don't mind mine.... but I use to ride dirt bikes so my rear end has been beat to death already  Tongue )

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/22/08 at 19:33:53

Welcome, Freeindeed.  You have just made a dandy purchase.  You'll be amazed at how fast you'll put on the first 150 miles.  At 600 miles, unless I'm mistaken, the bike is due for it's first service, which includes tightening obscure bolts, checking the valves, and other fun stuff.  If you can turn a wrench, it's really not that hard.  After all, I'm doing my own work so far, and I'm just an ignorant wood butcher.

If doing that first service is out of your depth for now, take it to someone and get it done.  Don't skip it.  It sounds important from everything I have read.  By the time it's ready for the next routine maintenance, you'll be on your feet and ready to go.  All you have to do is spend a little time reading what these folks post, and it's easy.

Have fun,
Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/22/08 at 19:34:49

an 04 with 450 miles for THAT kinda $$$?? I have an 05 with 17K & I wouldnt dream of letting go for anywhere near that. I think ya stole it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/23/08 at 04:28:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/08 at 19:34:49:
an 04 with 450 miles for THAT kinda $$$?? I have an 05 with 17K & I wouldnt dream of letting go for anywhere near that. I think ya stole it..

Sure did!  Very nice deal..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/24/08 at 01:33:31

YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL!!!!
As a newbie to the Savage myself, I'd recommend you get yourself a Clymer's (you can order them online.)
Second, read EVERY post in the tech section. Then read most of the posts in Rubber Side Down. There is so much great advice, wisdom, and troubleshooting info on this forum. Every bike has its shortcomings, and the Savage is no exception. That said, the shortcomings are few, and the smiles per gallon are excellent.
Enjoy your bike!
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 06/24/08 at 05:55:58

Congrats on your purchase - sounds like a great deal. I had an 04 as well.

If this is your first street MC, I would suggest leaving it stock for at least 1000 miles, unless there is something you absolutely can't stand (and if there is, why did you buy it?), or if you need storage for commuting (if so, I recommend a trunk bag on the sissy bar to start).

Stock to me does not mean leave it at factory tune, but you can make it run really well without changing parts.

An 04 with that few miles may have some carb issues - read the threads about Seafoam.

Stay off the interstate for a while, learn to like it for what it is good at - commuting, cruising the secondary roads, stopping to smell the roses, etc.

Practice, practice, practice.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 08/13/08 at 17:48:14

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/22/08 at 19:33:53:
Welcome, Freeindeed.  You have just made a dandy purchase.  You'll be amazed at how fast you'll put on the first 150 miles.  At 600 miles, unless I'm mistaken, the bike is due for it's first service, which includes tightening obscure bolts, checking the valves, and other fun stuff.  If you can turn a wrench, it's really not that hard.  After all, I'm doing my own work so far, and I'm just an ignorant wood butcher.

If doing that first service is out of your depth for now, take it to someone and get it done.  Don't skip it.  It sounds important from everything I have read.  By the time it's ready for the next routine maintenance, you'll be on your feet and ready to go.  All you have to do is spend a little time reading what these folks post, and it's easy.

Have fun,
Sandy

It's an '04,right....it should have already had its first service. Oh I see...its only got 450 miles on it Huh
Wow,that was a deal!! of the Century!

Welcome Freeindeed!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 08/13/08 at 19:29:53

The course will be the best thing you'll do for yourself.  Try to limit your riding before you finish.  There are many things about bike handling that are very surprising to new riders that the MSF will teach you.  

In the meantime, get a mat and a nice dense pillow and put them on the garage floor, sit in a meditative pose and admire the bike.  Cool

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/13/08 at 19:34:11

Better yet, sit on the seat in a meditative pose.  You need not prepare only the mind, but the derrier as well, Grasshopper.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 08/13/08 at 19:36:28

well, stand on the pillion then hop down onto the seat to prepare for the saddlewhomping

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 08/13/08 at 19:42:53

Oooooh ouch!  In my head I'm hearing the sound of a splitting maul thunking into a big block of wet larch.   THWOCK!

Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 08/13/08 at 20:24:19

While others will disagree, I think all fuel additives except possibly Sta-Bil are worthless. Sta-Bil may help if you plan to let the bike sit with fuel in it for more than a couple of months unused. Same with oil additives. You might try Chevron Techron additive if you think the fuel system and/or carburetor need to be cleaned, but remember by Federal regulations all gasolines have to have cleaners/detergents in them anyway. Read the directions on the container, remember you have only a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank, and put in an appropriate amount of Techron. It may do some good, and it probably won't do any damage. Gas and oil additives basically do nothing but increase your operating costs.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:27:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.