Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cam chain (Read 111 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
cam chain
08/10/08 at 00:56:56

Huh hi all just looking for a bit of advise. I am planning on checking the cam chain before I go any distance with the bike. Once I open it up and if I find that there is to much play in the chain is it possible to take a link out of the chain or would I need a new chain and tensioner I am asking this so as if I would need new parts I could buy them before I start so I wouldn't have to be waiting for the parts with the bike in bits...all the best to you all over there,,cheers,, kenny  Undecided

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: cam chain
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 06:06:39

No, you cant take a link out, but thats a hekkuva fine idea. Do you need the parts before you open it up? Couldnt hurt. IF you plan on keeping the bike a long time, you Will need the chain, you may need a tensioner & the Verslavey( which I dont have but would like) is a great idea. Having a gasket on hand, in case you wreck the one on the bike is a good idea, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 07:04:56

Reason why taking a link out isn't feasible is that the total "stacked up" amount of wear that we have on a worn out stock chain is approximately the diameter/distance of one of the little pins in the chain (an entire link removed would be grossly too short).

Even the manufacturer says we don't put much wear on the chain before we run out of adjustment -- approximately 10-20% of their spec'd wear life as a matter of fact.

During the Dragon run we were sitting in a McDonalds soaking up drinks and poking at the very chain the Borg Warner engineers had cut up while analyzing the Savage's wear pattern -- you could just barely feel the wear in the pins with the edge of a fingernail rubbed across it.  Wear zones were shiny though, compared to the rest of the pin length.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 07:42:44

Which is just another reason to soak the chain prior to installation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 09:03:33

Huhgot that and thanks all..I was wondering about removing a link because  the price of a chain over here is over $100 (£56)+ vat +postage,so when I have a look at it and if the ajustment has run out does it mean a new chain,,cheers ,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 09:21:27

i was thinking i paid at least $75 for mine, so $100 isnt that far off the mark. oh and yeah you need a new chain, look at some of the pics in the tech section, my tensioner was about ready to fall apart, i caught it just in time.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/10/08 at 10:03:46

Not necessarily time for a chain Kenny. The Verslavy mod takes the slack up AND shoves the tensioner back into its place. As was noted, the chain is actually only about 20% worn when the limitations of the system require it to be replaced, so the modified tensioner allows us to keep running a chain that another Savage would have to have replaced. I have a used chain that is, (IIRC) according to the chart someone created & has somewhere on this site( Wasnt that a lot of help? I KNew you'd appreciate it, but someone will surely fill in the blanks) still plenty serviceable. I am hoping to get the Verslavy ( I hope I am talking about the welded end on the tensioner mod & not the whole apparatus that replaces the tensioner) & put that chain back in, after I use the recently purchased & hung in a jar of oil, special run chain that several here ordered some time back. Just have a gasket & the right gasket sealer on hand, pop the side cover off & measure the adjuster extension. Then you will know if you must do something or how long till you should.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 11:45:51

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1