Send Topic Print
oil leak at 5000 (Read 152 times)
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
oil leak at 5000
08/07/08 at 07:10:58

Ok here is another question about oil..I was checking the bike this morning and noticed some oil on the front of the case..looked dry but it was definitely oil...Looked further up and noticed the nut on the front under the head behind the exhaustheader had same looking dryed oil around it and going down.... I that where an oil leak can occur? Its tight but what im wondering is if the 4 head bolts might be losening?? Any insight is most welcome...   thanks again guys  / gals

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: oil leak at 5000
Reply #1 - 08/07/08 at 07:12:27

addendum: using shell rotella synth 5w40 if thats any help... worried to ride it now...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/07/08 at 07:31:10

What year is the bike?  5K miles on some bikes could be ten years old.

There is a possibility (strong) that the rubber plug (cap head plug..... head cap plug??) could be leaking.  It's in the hole above & behind the exhaust port. Small bright flashlight into the hole and look on the top side and you should see the plug (black rubber that might have gasket sealer on it).  Oil there is the dead give-away clue.     The oil gets all over because of either the bike leaning while parked OR the wind flow thru the head while riding,  This includes oil on the sparkplug (there's an air path behind it).

Cap plug...  approxs 2-4 hours to change depending on your skill level, number of beers you need to have, and if you adjust the valves while you have the tank off.  Requires removing head cover....

EDIT: the oil going past the pulg is just oil returning to the sump.  It's not under pressure so it's not a urgent fix,  but it can get messy.... smelly....  ugly looking....  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/07/08 at 07:42:24

thanks Tmack yeah the bike is an 07 bought it new in may
ill go down an look in that hole to see the plug with a light

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/07/08 at 07:46:13

cornfuzed wrote on 08/07/08 at 07:42:24:
thanks Tmack yeah the bike is an 07 bought it new in may
ill go down an look in that hole to see the plug with a light

I think one of the scheduled  services is to check the torque of the head bolts/nuts .  One of which is under that plug.   Maybe it wasn't pushed all the way in or maybe they didn't put sealer on it.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/07/08 at 07:50:34

hmmm intersting, i could not visually see a plug but around the nut on the left of the exhaust in the head did not have any oil... looked around where the head is sealed under the exhaust header and there is no oil there... Just where the nut is there is oil so it looks to be dripping down the bolt possibly... wonder if that bolt is loose? I know its not inside the head but on top of it?
Looks like its gonna have to have a tear down there to see what i see i guess

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/07/08 at 07:51:00

hmmm wonder if suzuki would warranty that or should i do it?

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/07/08 at 07:53:08

cornfuzed wrote on 08/07/08 at 07:51:00:
hmmm wonder if suzuki would warranty that or should i do it?

I think a oil leak would be covered.  Is the bike still under warranty?  You could call the stealership and find out......

---
  IP Logged
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/07/08 at 18:17:58

I was taking photos of my bike today to post with the same question.  I have a 2001 with 3900 miles, 1900 in the last 2 months.  A few days ago I noticed drops of oil on the garage floor. on the engine, side covers and smoking on the exhaust in the morning.  Sounds like this is the issue.  Is there a post in the tech section for this? Any special tools needed?

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/08/08 at 05:30:27

Hi Calalli sure sounds like it to me... Have a look here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177184297  an see if that isnt what fixes you.

Tmack thanks buddy, yes the bike still has 10 mos warranty left or 9 so Im in a quandry as to let them do it by guys who get paid to do it or do it myself for the love of doing it...as it is MY butt an not theirs on them two wheels if something goes south... i do have 3 day weekends...

Cool I guess i answered my own question then  Cool

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/08/08 at 11:47:17

Did you take it in for the scheduled maintenance where the head bolts are retorqued? If so, it seems the mechanic didnt do a great job & this should be warranty, even if its outside the time /mileage limit, because the leak would be easily their fault.(IMO)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 08/08/08 at 14:11:32

The plug cost about $12.....  and for those of you that didn't know,  Suzuki has upgraded the plug.  My 2001 had the old style in it.

---
  IP Logged
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/09/08 at 05:53:22

Is the plug the black plastic thing about 1.25 inches in diameter? I looked at that, but it didn't appear to be the source of the oil.  Any way, I am gonna change oil, clean up the bike and keep a better eye on where it starts  

I can order the updated plug at the stealership.  The tech post by djp ( the best illustration of removing the tank I have seen yet btw) wasn't real clear to me, is there a "HEAD SEAL" I need to order as well as applying sealant?  Nevermind, that should be in the Clymer.  

And I need to get a torque wrench for the head bolts. I ahve a plan for next weekend.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 08/11/08 at 20:07:53

Cal,

After you find the source of the leak, take a pic and you will get a solution here.

To help find the leak, get you a can of Desenex foot spray.  Clean the area real good, then spray the suspected area with the Desenex.  It will leave a white powder.

Go for a short spin.  If you see an area where the white powder is turning brown, you've just found your leak.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:34:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil leak at 5000

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.