Send Topic Print
I NEED help! (Read 544 times)
502z
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I NEED help!
Reply #15 - 08/05/08 at 10:22:26

My fault.  I meant to say "on" instead of "primary".  I run dry of fuel on both "on" and "res" but have no problems with primary.  I have replaced the vacuum line twice and used hose clamps that can be tightened both times.  I doubt the issue is with my hose but I guess anything is possible.  I don't suspect the carb since the bike runs great less than sustained 65 miles per hour.  I have noticed to when I try to switch from "primary" to on to see if the problem persists the value has been stuck.  With a little force I can move it.  Maybe it needs cleaning.  I'm going to limp through until it starts snowing then plan on taking the pet thingy off and inspect/clean it.

IP Logged
502z
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/05/08 at 15:06:28

Another thing... The bike is 8 years old not and only had 6800 miles when I bought it.  That means it has set a while.  I was considering pulling the carb and cleaning it to just to see what it looks like.  I have worked on cars both for fun and professionally but have never worked on bikes.  Do you have to have a carb kit to open it up and clean it.  I also live at 7000 feet and am wondering if I need to re-jet it since the air is so thin up here.  I'm in Flagstaff, AZ and 1200 feet Phoenix is only 2 hours from here but I know I will never take the bike out of this elevation so I won't have to worry about burning up the engine if I set it up for the elevation.  Any words of advice???  I'm anxious to get her running top notch all around!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 08/05/08 at 15:14:53

Pri = Prime not Primary: It is used to refuel the bowl when you drain the bowl for carb work or after it has set long enough to evaporate the fuel out of the bowl. In this position it is gravity fed.

On: Is the normal operating position, it is vacuum operated which means fuel should not flow from the tank into the carb unless it is running providing the necessary vacuum.

Res + reserve: It operates the same as the "On" position. It lowers the fuel pickup to be able to get the last bit of fuel, usually approximately 20 more miles worth.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #18 - 08/05/08 at 18:40:50

If I was having your problem, I would march right down to the dealer and order a new petcock.  $60, 20 minutes, and you're back on the road.  I don't know how big a dent $60 would leave in your wallet, but it sounds to me like it would fix what ails you.  That's what I did, and haven't regretted it once.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #19 - 08/06/08 at 12:48:30

ok so i have heard of the manual petcock.   what is this about?  people talk about doing the petcock mod but no one tells us how?  or at least i can't find it.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/06/08 at 12:52:03

Here..
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1113631600

It's right in the Table of Contents in the Tech Docs

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #21 - 08/06/08 at 20:09:55

Thanks.  I knew i saw that somewhere!  that's a big help

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #22 - 08/07/08 at 11:21:37

I replaced the vacuum tube and still it persists.  I ran it on res and on and it died but when i run it on prime it runs fine.  so do you think the petcock mod will work? until i can buy a new one.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/07/08 at 11:31:24

There are a couple of possible problems,
1st the vac line... you've fixed that by replacing it.  did you also puts clamps on the ends?
2nd... dirt or other blockage in the screens.  2 places to check, remove the petcock from the tank (empty tank) and check the screen for debree and varnish.  Also, there's a screen on the float valve.  you need to diassemble the carb to get at it.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #24 - 08/08/08 at 15:24:31

verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/08 at 11:31:24:
2nd... dirt or other blockage in the screens.  2 places to check, remove the petcock from the tank (empty tank) and check the screen for debree and varnish.  Also, there's a screen on the float valve.  you need to diassemble the carb to get at it.

So,  I don't have a petcock assembly in hand and it's been a year since I did.....  Doesn't the PRI fuel path run thru the RES port in the tank???  Wouldn't the screen be clogged for both??  And,  the tiny screen on the carb by the float,  wouldn't that cause same issue in PRI too???

Sounds like a Vacuum issue, but why???   If the diaphram in the petcock was bad, I think the issue would be flooding not starving for fuel......  If you had a vac leak somewhere else then WOT would cause weak vac at the Petcock.

Here is a test to check for vacuum leak.  Start the bike. Then while idling, spray WD40 around the rubber intake manifold and the other misc spots on the carb (and Petcock?).  If the idle changes you found a leak.  Once fixed, buy some engine degreaser and clean up.  NOTE: You could use carb cleaner but that can damage some paints.    

EDIT: just remembered someone previously said to check all the tank & Carb vents.  The idea was that, at speed, the restricted vents would not allow fuel into the carb fast enough..... but I think that would also be one of the "would also be noticed in PRI"

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 08/10/08 at 21:41:36

I've not yet had a Savage petcock apart, but isn't there a failure mode with the diaphragm or diaphragm spring where it does not fully respond to engine vacuum, thus causing a lean or no-fuel condition in ON or RES?

It would have to be a failure mode where gasoline did not leak into the vacuum line.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/10/08 at 21:56:01

leaky vac line

and someone said the diaphram can get hard.

WWW   IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/25/08 at 17:14:55

502z exactly described my issue.  i bought my first bike yesterday!  already i'm hitting the forums.   Sad

I have a 2006 savage with 236 miles.

When the switch is set to "RES" or "ON" it dies.  The previous owner thought PRI was "PRIMARY" so he never used the others.  I read manuals, so I tried the "ON" switch right away.  Is the vacuum actuated fuel switch something that is easily replaced?  I'm no mechanic.  Can you walk me through it with a good description?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #28 - 08/25/08 at 17:42:11

Replacing it is VERY simple.  Some will say that there are other steps you might want to take.  If you want to swap it out, I'll walk you through it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 08/26/08 at 02:17:30

let me ask as dumber question--is the 'fuel switch' the same thing as the 'petcock' people are talking about in these posts?  if so, i agree it would be a simple change out.  if not, where is it located and how much does it cost?  

would it be better to remove the petcock and hit it with brake cleaner?  or switch it out first?  

lots of questions....   thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:29:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I NEED help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.