I NEED help! (Read 544 times)
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
I NEED help!
08/02/08 at 10:51:26

Ok so i am running down the freeway at about 65-70 mph and the engine dies like it's out of gas...but i just filled up.   I decided to try  it out at 55 mph...no prob.  It runs great under 60 and around town but if i get over 60mph it dies after about 10-15 miles.  I pulled the petcock and it's clean, pulled the carb and installed a new main and needle.  I tested and the same is true.  anyone have a suggestion?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: I NEED help!
Reply #1 - 08/02/08 at 10:54:52

Funny,you are in Dallas too.I have the same problem at times.I think with this heat that they are vapor locking or the fuel going into the motor is vaporizing before ut hits the cylinder at high speeds.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 08/02/08 at 11:14:20

I'm no brain on the matter, but I'm told that your vacuum is least at higher throttle settings.  A small leak in your vac line might be compounded just enough at that speed to goof things up.  How does it do on prime?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #3 - 08/02/08 at 11:21:13

same on prime.  the vacuum lines are the ones that run from the petcock to the carb?  

Demin do you ride with a group around here?  I am looking some people to ride with and so far just alone  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 08/02/08 at 11:30:02

It's the small line, wrapped in a spring, that runs from the petcock to the right side of the carb.

It would be a PITA, but to determine if it's a problem with the petcock, compared to a problem after the carb as Demin suggests, you could try this:  Run it on "On" or "RES" until it dies and then drain the bowl into a container.  Then fill the bowl on "PRI" and drain it again.  If you get less fuel after running than you do after letting the carb fill for 30 seconds or so on prime, I would submit that you have a problem upstream of the carb.  If it's not delivering enough fuel to the carb, your bowl should be less than full, or empty, when it stalls out.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #5 - 08/02/08 at 11:34:26

cool thanks.  i will replace it and see what happens.  will it effect it if i get a longer hose?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 08/02/08 at 11:39:30

I honestly don't know.  I wouldn't think it would matter, but I have no knowledge to back that up.

rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 08/02/08 at 12:09:57

i used a longer hose, worked fine, and easier to route.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 08/02/08 at 14:58:25

I might replace my hose,again.I just did it about a year ago.But with this heat it might have gotten hard again,just didn't notice it until it got HOT out.
No,I ride alone pretty much.The only one I have ridden with is TVR_FSO from this site.Haven't met too many people.When the Harley was together,last time I was here I used to go to Strokers every sunday.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/02/08 at 21:33:57

ed daugherty wrote on 08/02/08 at 11:21:13:
same on prime.  the vacuum lines are the ones that run from the petcock to the carb?  

Demin do you ride with a group around here?  I am looking some people to ride with and so far just alone  Embarrassed  

There are several of us in the DFW area. It would be nice if we could all get together. We should try it at least once. A while back I posted a roll call for DFW, along with an inquiry about a get together. Got a few responses, but it seemed to die out for lack of interest. Still, a ride out somewhere for a beer and some BBQ with some other Savages would be nice.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 08/03/08 at 07:07:53

I didn't even see the post,but I'd be in.Any time after the end of August.

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #11 - 08/03/08 at 15:15:02

ok.  I will see about some dates and post a new thread.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #12 - 08/04/08 at 23:01:40

I'm in Houston.  My bike's petcock starting misbehaving in the spring in the morning at mid-range and below.  At open throttle, it seemed to work.  I recently converted it to manual, and the problem went away.  PRI was working fine too.  I really don't like that design.  It gave me trouble at freeway speeds when I first got the bike until I replaced the vac line.  Then the new issue started at idle - mid-range, and I nearly went insane trying to figure out what it was.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
502z
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/05/08 at 09:29:48

I have a 2000 savage with 7500 miles.  I bought it about two months ago.  The bike has been taken care of and is in excellent condition.  I have the a/f mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns out and live at 7000 feet.  The bike runs great until I hit 65 miles per hour.  I ride about 10 miles one way on the interstate to work.  Without fail the bike runs dry on fuel when using the vacuum setting on the pet thingy.  I posted my problem and was told it was the vacuum line.  I replaced it and used hose clamps at both ends.  The problem persists.  The bike runs without fail on the gravity feed setting and has never run dry.  After reading a lot of posts this seems to be a fatal flaw for several other Savage riders.  What is the fix???  I don't mind the gravity flow but that eliminates the reserve and I have run out of fuel twice.  Now that I know what mileage I get I know when it's time to fill er up.  It just bugs me that the bike won't run the way it should on primary....what is the fix???

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 08/05/08 at 10:01:44

502z wrote on 08/05/08 at 09:29:48:
I have a 2000 savage with 7500 miles.  I bought it about two months ago.  The bike has been taken care of and is in excellent condition.  I have the a/f mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns out and live at 7000 feet.  The bike runs great until I hit 65 miles per hour.  I ride about 10 miles one way on the interstate to work.  Without fail the bike runs dry on fuel when using the vacuum setting on the pet thingy.  I posted my problem and was told it was the vacuum line.  I replaced it and used hose clamps at both ends.  The problem persists.  The bike runs without fail on the gravity feed setting and has never run dry.  After reading a lot of posts this seems to be a fatal flaw for several other Savage riders.  What is the fix???  I don't mind the gravity flow but that eliminates the reserve and I have run out of fuel twice.  Now that I know what mileage I get I know when it's time to fill er up.  It just bugs me that the bike won't run the way it should on primary....what is the fix???

When you say gravity flow, do you mean Prime ("PRI")?  The reason I ask, the whole fuel delivery is gravity flow, just in "RES" and "ON" is it switched by a vacuum actuated plunger/diaphragm.    
   If it runs in prime (PRI), the next test is to see if it runs in "RES" to test to see if you have a varnish build up on the screen in the tank.  Both  "RES" and "PRI" have same fuel port in the tank.  If it doesn't run in "RES" but does in "PRI", then you still have an issue with the vacuum actuated fuel switch.  If it runs in "RES" then you most likely have a varnish build up on the screen reducing fuel flow in "ON" and  will need to run a fuel system cleaner thru the tank.  Seafoam or STP or the likes.  It should say that it cleans varnish build up.  

NOTE: I have a 2001 w/14K miles, and have no issues going 70 mph.    I use STP fuel system cleaner (white bottle), 1.5 oz in a full tank maybe once a month.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I NEED help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.