Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mistery Bolt (Read 186 times)
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Mistery Bolt
07/26/08 at 08:40:37

I was cleaning my bike when I noticed a bolt behind the chrome cover on top of the motor.  just out of sight and stuck.  I had to loosen the cover so I could pull it out.  It was very dirty and looked like it had been there for a while. I haven't taken the tank off since 2006.  so it could have been there since then.  
it looks like this,  and it has black paint on it like the frame.

with the letter b  / or number 9 on it.

It was like this just a bitt longer in, so you could not see it.

anybody have an idea where it should be.  

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Mistery Bolt
Reply #1 - 07/26/08 at 09:14:33

I think that one goes under the valve adjustment cover next to where you found it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 07/26/08 at 10:19:23

Thanks Max for the reply.  I yanked the tank off and found there was one "hole" available.  

This one

The bolt was placed where the blue line is and you can see where the bolt has "polished" the surface while vibrating to the beat of the beast.
my question is, is this bolt very important?  or just one of many?

Most likely the hole is full of crap.  any ideas how to clean it so I won't press the dirt down when I put the bolt back. I'll try the vacum cleaner first and suck it "clean" .  does someone have on top of there mind the tourqe I should use when thigtening the bolt?

WWW   IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 07/26/08 at 11:06:29

Ok I found a service manual online PDF. (the one on this site). but I can't find a picture where it is refered to this bolt , just the one behind/above it.  But my guess is that it is "cylinder head nut"  9mm.  tourqe 29-33 nm.  Am I right or am I right?

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 07/26/08 at 11:18:47

Not a cylinder head bolt, just a head cover bolt. I usually just tighten it a quick turn after snug and it holds pretty good.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 07/26/08 at 11:41:01

sweet.

But
I thigtened it and wanted to see if there were other bolt loose.  and found one , it was kind a spoonge.  and i started to turn and nothing happened. just turns and same in the other direction.  and than I started to think that this was some kind of adjuster bolt.  it is behind the decompression cable .  please don't be an ajduster bolt or something because then I have really made a mess.  

what is this one?  please just be a cover thingy

WWW   IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 07/26/08 at 12:18:49

Ok it's the decompresssion adjuster....  hope I haven't broke somthing..  now I have to figure out how to turn back time.

Sorry i modified it while you were writing...  

couse I found this thread...  and it look like it is to ajdust the decompression solonoid.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1169356966

or am I totally off with that one.   does say that you have to have it on TDC before "adjusting"...  crap now I won't sleep well......

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 07/26/08 at 12:30:24

Yep, that's a cover bolt as well. The exact same one broke off on me as well. Just to be on the safe side, I filled it with RTV and made sure the others were tight, no leaks so far.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 07/26/08 at 12:36:59

I modified my last post when I found some info..  but now I'm not sure....

after some thinking it's most likely just a cover bolt...  but when I try to pull it out there is some resistance like there is rubber or something....

Now I'll open up a beer and go down to the beach and listen to some music..  there are som jazz bands playing.        

WWW   IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 07/26/08 at 12:53:09

Thank you YonuhAdisi   . You were right

I took one sip of my sweet tasteful beeeeeeeer. and tought to hell with it..  yanked the bolt out and volla.

now back to drinking.    Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/26/08 at 13:25:35

OOOkay, you've found a vacant hole, repaired that, & one with a dutchman in it. Is there a leak? Anything that would force you to go in & fix it? If not, I would ride it, then this winter, go in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 07/26/08 at 22:17:04

Yes, one hole fixed and one broken bolt.
No leak.   and I haven't touch these bolts so it has been like this since previous owner.  at least 3 years.    so i think I will just plug the hole for now and as you say, go in this winter and see if there is a way to get the other part out.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 07/27/08 at 11:54:18

I'd leave the broken bolt in place as I think it retains the shaft for the compression release via a groove in the shaft. I use long handled q-tips to soak the oil out of those holes before reinstalling the bolts. Get them by the pac of 100 at Radio Shack. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 07/27/08 at 14:21:30

Yes.  I did put it back but with a little "instant gasket" on the bolt to "secure" it in the hole so it would not vibrate. cause it was kind a loose in there.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/27/08 at 14:33:45

There are only 3 bolts if I remember corectly that have the sealing washers.  luckily those aren't them.  the rest are there to hold the head cover in place.  I don't one or 2 will make a difference.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mistery Bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.