Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doesn't look good...... (Read 151 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Doesn't look good......
07/27/08 at 09:30:38

Looking at a valve through the header hole.  

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/eanonhorton/?action=view&current=IMG_...
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/eanonhorton/?action=view&current=IMG_...

So, uh, any idea why my valves have white corrosion on them?  Please tell me I can fix it....... Embarrassed

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Re: Doesn't look good......
Reply #1 - 07/27/08 at 10:50:58

Bad valve seals/seats?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 07/27/08 at 11:11:33

Just the additives in the gasoline I think, mine were about like that when I did the cam change this winter. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/27/08 at 12:32:19

Look normal to me.

And by the way -- Excelent Photography!  Focusing on the valve stem with the port blurry shows skill.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/27/08 at 13:59:49

Good to know.  I thought something might be seriously wrong.  Should I bother pulling the head and cleaning everything, of just not worry about it?  Would Oldfellers "Safe Engine Internal Clean Up Method" work?  (in the tech section)

thanks about the photography, but it was really easy with my girlfrieds "Elf".  All I did was point and shoot.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/27/08 at 14:33:16

You miss the point of the internal engine clean up in the tech section -- it was intended for sludge and gunk build up in the oily part of the engine, not for carbon build up in the exhaust port area.

Your bike may be running a tad rich, but that is all.  Your carbon deposits are nice and dry and fluffy so you are not showing any signs of oil leaks at the valve stem area.

Ignore it -- you are well within the range of "normal" on exhaust port carbon build up.

If you took the bike out for a nice hard run and some high speed interstate miles a lot of that fluffy stuff would exit out the exhaust pipe.

In the American V-8 parlance, you need '"to shake the dust out of the header pipes" and the way they did it in the old days was to run the snot out of the engine right after an oil change (max lube goodness = no real chance of wear or damage -- unless you just plain blew the engine up).

I'd ignore it -- it isn't a problem unless it gets a quarter inch thick.  Occasionally take your bike out for a real run and "shake the dust out of it" to keep the carbon layer thinned down.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/27/08 at 14:40:42

I've seen this on car, back when they all had there own oil fields.  One owner came in shop, said he strickly used Mobil, yada, yada.  His piston heads and valves were coated like this.  And the stuff just scraped off.

The only problem with being on the piston was if it overheated, it would cause dieseling.  On the valves no problem.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/27/08 at 15:20:52

Thanks for the info, guys.  Good to know there's no worries at this point.  Although, 85% of my riding is at 60+, so I shake the dust out everyday!    Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:18:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Doesn't look good......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.