better fuel economy (Read 118 times)
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
better fuel economy
07/25/08 at 19:02:53

I have a 2003 and it's getting about 100 miles per tank...about 45-50 mpg highway.  I was wondering if anyone knew how i could improve my mpg.  I have installed a K&N filter in air box.  I am going to install a dynojet stage 1 kit (should be here next week) and I want to make the stock pipe louder like a thumper not a chirper!  
thanks for the info

IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Re: better fuel economy
Reply #1 - 07/26/08 at 07:35:17

how fast do you go? if i go 80 everywhere I get about 100 miles to the tank if i drive 65 or less everywhere it gets about 120 to a tank.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 07/26/08 at 10:48:42

Installing the K&N and the DynoJet stage 1 kit will make your fuel economy go down, not up.

If you are looking for maximum fuel economy, put in a smaller idle jet, a smaller main jet, replace the white spacer with 3 washers (approx original thickness) and turn your A/F mix to 1 1/2 turns out.

The bike will run like crap and backfire alot, but you will be tuned for maximum mileage.

Going the route you are, you are tuning for maximum power.  It will only go down the more things you do.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #3 - 07/26/08 at 11:15:31

Ok.  thanks.  I drive about 70 most of the time.  the bike is set up so my max speed is about 80 which sucks in a headwind!  hence the upgrade on the power front.  I am installing a jet kit because when i go above 55 after about 10 miles or so the bike dies like it's out of gas...which tells me the needle jet is clogged.  I checked the petcock first and it's nice and clean as well as the fuel lines so i know it's the carb.  I guess 40-50 mpg is good enough i just wish i gould get 60ish.  
Thanks

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 07/26/08 at 20:11:51

I'll be interested to know what you find when you take your carburetor apart. I'm curious to know what would allow your motorcycle to run at speed for ten miles and then cause grief.

Last year I took a little trip on my '07 S40. On one leg I drove at 70-75 on the Interstate, and got about 39 mpg. Most of the time I run it at 60-65, and get mileage in the low to mid-50s. On one trip I drove around the Rocky Mountain Park and environs, at their low speed limits (45 max, some slower) and got 70+ mpg. Of late I have been running around 55-60 and getting mileage in the high 50s.

Except for removing the idle screw cover and adjusting the idle mix, my S40 is box stock. Contrary to Skrapiron's experience, my bike runs just fine, and I get only occasional backfires on deceleration. I tried the "white spacer mod", though I didn't take it to completion. I removed the spacer and installed 2 4-40 washers (the spacer is about 3 washers thick), and fuel mileage dropped immediately from low to mid 50s into the high 40s. I could discern no difference in performance, and the backfire didn't go away. I replaced the white spacer and my mileage went back up.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #5 - 07/27/08 at 08:31:51

That white spacer just stops the needle from going all the way up.  by changing it all you are doing is allowing more fuel to flow.  hence the lower mpg.  i think 40-50 is all i will get.  especially when i put the jet kit in it.  with the backfire just adjust your air fuel mixture.  what it is doing is when you suddenly let off the throttle it makes the fuel very rich for a moment.  it's nothing bad...they all do it.  I believe all you have to do is adjust your fuel/air ratio screw.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › better fuel economy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.