Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dead battery, have specific question (Read 68 times)
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
dead battery, have specific question
07/27/08 at 08:36:05

Hello

I left my key in yada yad yada dead battery on my 06 s40.  Walmart had a 6 amp battery charger that I bought and when I plug the red clip to the + terminal and the black clip to a motor fin i get an error after about 10 minutes.

The problem is I can't get the seat off.  The little allen screw in the back won't break free w/ my crappy little allen wrench.  

Any advice?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: dead battery, have specific question
Reply #1 - 07/27/08 at 08:37:22

I'm not sure about the charger error, but I would say being able to remove that seat will save you a lot of grief in the future.  Get some WD-40 or MMO or butter or something in there and get rid of that bolt.  The bolt runs clear through the little mounting tab on the seat, and points up at an angle, so if you just dip your finger (which you have described as "long and skinny" I believe) in some oil and reach up in there, you should be able to soak the end of the threads.  Let it penetrate for a bit and the thing should come right out.  

When mine were stuck, I also found that banging on the top of the seat with my hand while turning the bolt free seemed to help a bit.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - 07/27/08 at 08:39:59

I hit tab then enter on accident lol

It's edited!

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #3 - 07/27/08 at 08:44:17

go to the motorcycle shop and buy a "Battery Tender"  these thing are awesome.  it has a pigtail that comes with it and you can hook it to your battery and leave it there.  when you need a charge you just plug it into the wall and it does the rest for you.  If you are a seasonal rider and park it for the winter the battery tender will keep your battery from killing over.  and get a good set of metric tools!  i purchased a set of craftsman t handle allen wrenches for about $20 and that was a wonderful investment. you can try to tighten the bolt a little before you loosen it.

IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 07/27/08 at 09:33:55

off to sears, thanks

IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/27/08 at 09:49:26

I have done the same thing -- twice in the last two months.  I have a battery tender and it is indeed convenient, but at 750 milliamps it takes maybe 6 hrs or so to charge a dead-as-doornail battery enough to start the bike.  OVernight for full charge.  Once I was able to wedge the alligator clip from my car charger onto the pos terminal and put a charge on it w/o removing seat.  (I think I read in the manual that max charging rate for these batteries is 2 amps.)  At 2 amps it took about 2 hrs to get a fair charge into it.  I have heard that it is possible to jump start the Savage, though I am not eager to attempt to validate this claim.

IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #6 - 07/27/08 at 10:18:50

Found the T handle allen wrenches at sears but I think that screw on the back is stripped now.  While I was there I found another charger w/ the pigtails but I'll never get those on if I can't get my seat off.

I have the red on the positive post now and the black clamped onto an engine fin and I figure I'll let it do its thing....this should work right?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/27/08 at 10:51:42

if all else fails you CAN remove battery w/seat on..
bottom of left side cover has a tab and slot set up can push tap up and move cover enuf to get to neg post screw....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dead battery, have specific question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.