Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Proper way to install saddlebags? (Read 179 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Proper way to install saddlebags?
07/25/08 at 11:26:23

Can someone inlighten me on the "proper" way to install a throw-over saddlebag?

I won a set of OEM Suzuki bags from EBay and they came in yesterday. Unfortunately they didn't include any instructions, like the saddlebag brackets included, on how to properly fit them to the bike.

So I did the best I could on my own. I tossed them over the seat, there was a webbed nylon rope that came with it, so I put that under the seat and tightened it up as best I could.

They seem to be on there pretty sturdy, but they flap around quite a bit when empty on the road... Like today when I left the grocery store and the left side was empty, it came up quite a bit, noticable when it hit me. Luckily I had it secured, or it would've probably gone right off the bike!

There are little nylon loops on the bottoms of each of the bags... Should I just ziptie them to the brackets? Or... what is everyone else doing? Also, for the comfort of my girlfriend, I'm thinking of putting them under the seat, in a semi-permanent manner. The only thing is that there is that little black module thing under there... Will it hurt to lay the saddlebags over that at all?

Thanks. Things like this make me feel so much like a newbie. :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Proper way to install saddlebags?
Reply #1 - 07/25/08 at 11:35:06

I wouldnt want to cover the rectifier. It needs to breathe a bit. Its air cooled. But, if its not too large a %age of the width of the strap, maybe a hole to allow it to breathe? Maybe it wont hurt to cover it. Lets let some of the electrical sharpies weigh in. I cant help with the brackets, but congrats on the bags. Keep them out of the wheel/belt. That could get real ugly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/25/08 at 11:40:30

I have the brackets installed already... They were the easy part. One would think that "throw-over" bags would be easy too, but I guess not if you want to keep them on the bike somehow!

Smiley

The rectifier... I knew it was something, but just couldn't remember!

I've seen pictures over on BikePics.com (I always cite pictures I see there) with the OEM bags UNDER the seat... That's the only reason I thought it could be done safely.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/25/08 at 12:15:54

Well, if its a pic thats been there a while & not a picture saying "Dont do it THIS way" then your thinking may be just fine. Way to go Tuff Man..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 07/25/08 at 12:33:10

I looked through just the S40 years... And found a bunch of bikes that are running their bags under the seats across that area.

I'll have to remove the seat today to see how it'll fit. Keeping them down on the sides is another story all together. I'm guessing I could just ziptie them to the brackets via those little loops on the bottom or something.

As someone else said though... The OEM bags are pretty small. And they are really awkward to open too. I'm going to keep my eyes open for something better, but these will hold me over for right now. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 07/25/08 at 15:01:29

you can always move the rectifier. I relocated mine to under the drivers seat. Theres plenty of room there. No cutting or splicing required. On the oem bags there are some webbing loops on the bottom of the bag. Use them to tie the bags to the frame. They won't go anywhere.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
knox co. thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ohio
Reply #6 - 07/25/08 at 20:31:11

I havean 05 s40 and put a set of bags on. I ran the strap under the seat and it crossed over right behind the rectifier. Be careful if you do this that you don't pull a plug loose on your lights. To keep mine tied down there was a loop at the front and back of each bag, I ran a black strap through these and behind the support bars.

Also if your bags are kind of tall watch your clearance to the exhaust, only takes a ninute to melt through the bag.

Ride it regardless of the weather!
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 07/25/08 at 21:10:01

Took the seat off to get an idea. I can run it behind the rectifier, except there is a set of pads on the seat that touch the fender and I'd hate to see them rub through my new bags...

I'll find a solution at some point. Until then, I'll just run them over the seat. :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 07/26/08 at 02:33:55

Like I said. Just move the rectifier. It literally takes seconds to do.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 07/26/08 at 06:50:02

Do you have a picture of where you moved it to? I see a few decent areas that loos like it'd work, but it looks like the seat has pads in those areas too...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:27:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Proper way to install saddlebags?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.