Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handling in the sweepers (Read 156 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Handling in the sweepers
07/24/08 at 05:39:29

In high speed sweepers at approaching 70 MPH, I start getting front end oscillations. I Think I am feeling the rear work up & down a bit, but I am not sure which comes first & I have tried to figure it out, but, just can't. I had it on the tightest rear shock setting, tried the softest, sure didnt help. Its set in the middle now.
I have a Dunlop on the rear & Maxiss on front. Looking at the Maxiss closely, I am seeing something that might be a clue. The front edge of each block of rubber behind the grooves that drop from center toward the edge are raised from the rear edge of the leading block. When the stock tire started cupping the handling in sweepers got worse & worse, like riding a drunk cow.
What front tire are others running that dont cup up so fast? This one only has a few thousand miles on it. The tread wear is not even close to 'Worn Out". Maybe its Mill,, err, Metzler time?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Re: Handling in the sweepers
Reply #1 - 07/24/08 at 05:42:16

Only non cupping motorcycle front tires I've ever had are Continentals on my SV.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 07/24/08 at 06:04:08

Im not finding a Continental 100/90-19 available.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 07/24/08 at 06:43:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/24/08 at 06:04:08:
Im not finding a Continental 100/90-19 available.

Hmm.. I found 4 Continental 100/90-19 front tyres here and two more in 3.25/3.50-19 sizes. Sorry, as I live in Denmark I've no experience whether the company's good or not.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/24/08 at 06:54:41

I'm starting to get a little cupping on the stock IRC front tire, noticed the cupping at about 5,000 miles and have been keeping an eye on it ever since. I was planning to replace the front when I replaced the rear but I'm just too cheap to toss good rubber. It hasn't gotten any worse after 8,000 miles so I'm just going to plan on a replacement when the front wears out. I haven't noticed any wobble at speed even with the cupping. Ever since I installed a fork brace the high speed wobble or wander went away. I'm running the rear shocks at thier second stiffest setting, anything softer and the bike feels mushy, anything harder and the butt gets sore.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #5 - 07/24/08 at 07:22:00

Bikes with mismatched brands of front and rear tires tend to show strange cornering characteristics from what I have heard.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/24/08 at 10:28:35

It handled better before the front started wearing. What made me look at it was it handled so badly with the IRC's on when the front started wearing & got worse & worse as the tire wore. It cupped badly. After the fork brace went on the front tires stopped wearing so badly so quickly.( My opinion, may be a dose of wishful thinking)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/25/08 at 03:40:09

Cupping can be accelerated by low air pressure in the front tire.

Wallowing may be tires, may be alignment of the REAR tire, may indicate looseness in the front triple tree, axle or wear/misadjustment in head bearings.

Go to a goldwing site and follow their threads on this subject -- they have that issue as a major item and fight it periodically as they put a LOT of miles on their scoots (far more than we will).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:24:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handling in the sweepers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.