Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why don't we get better MPG? (Read 603 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Why don't we get better MPG?
Reply #15 - 07/24/08 at 00:34:35

Like the old saying,when you are driving your car it's like watching a movie,when you ride you bike ,You are IN the movie.
we all tend to ride our bikes like we stole them (I know I do).
If you you eased your self away from the lights,slowly get yourself up to the limit (say 55) eased off the throttle a long way off the stop sign,
try to catch timed lights while in town,you will get at least 55 to the gallon

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #16 - 07/24/08 at 02:34:10

mick wrote on 07/24/08 at 00:34:35:
Like the old saying,when you are driving your car it's like watching a movie,when you ride you bike ,You are IN the movie.
we all tend to ride our bikes like we stole them (I know I do).
If you you eased your self away from the lights,slowly get yourself up to the limit (say 55) eased off the throttle a long way off the stop sign,
try to catch timed lights while in town,you will get at least 55 to the gallon

You're absolutely right, but where would the fun be in that? Wink
Seriously though, my mileage is all over the place. I average 50MPG, but tank to tank readings are as low as 38 and as high as 60. I know riding conditions effect mileage, and as my wife pointed out "Maybe the guy who's consistently getting 60MPG only weighs 150lbs." OUCH!
Still I wish I was more consistent in the MPG tank to tank.

Which reminds me. Have any of you experienced this? I run the tank til I need to switch to reserve. Then I run reserve maybe 5 miles and it sputters out. This has happened to me twice. Both times I was within feet of a gas station, so only a little pushing; but I'm not getting the 15 - 25 miles on reserve I thought I would be. When I hit reserve, I gotta find a fuel station quick. Did Suzuki short me on the length of my main tube so it's almost the same as my reserve? Guess I'll be pulling the tank and petc0ck next day off.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 07/24/08 at 03:45:07

KLX gets mid fifties (uk gallon), pretty good for a pumper carb.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #18 - 07/24/08 at 04:09:14

[/quote]
You're absolutely right, but where would the fun be in that? Wink
Seriously though, my mileage is all over the place. I average 50MPG, but tank to tank readings are as low as 38 and as high as 60. I know riding conditions effect mileage, and as my wife pointed out "Maybe the guy who's consistently getting 60MPG only weighs 150lbs." OUCH!
Still I wish I was more consistent in the MPG tank to tank.

Which reminds me. Have any of you experienced this? I run the tank til I need to switch to reserve. Then I run reserve maybe 5 miles and it sputters out. This has happened to me twice. Both times I was within feet of a gas station, so only a little pushing; but I'm not getting the 15 - 25 miles on reserve I thought I would be. When I hit reserve, I gotta find a fuel station quick. Did Suzuki short me on the length of my main tube so it's almost the same as my reserve? Guess I'll be pulling the tank and petc0ck next day off. [/quote]

If you've ever disassembled the petcock, you'll begin to see why.  The screen at the bottom of the RES side, only feeds the RES setting and not both.  It's about 1/2" to 1" lower than the PRI/ON setting screen.  (Which IS fed by both.)  The screen will clog from the bottom up, so your RES screen gets plugged up first with debris and varnish.  You should be able to remedy that by cleaning the screen.  I could never drain my tank below about 1/2" of fuel, but then I removed the internal screen and replaced it with an external fuel filter.  Now I can ride until my tank is BONE DRY.   Grin (But I no longer have a "reserve tank".)

Sometimes that's a good thing....sometimes it's not.   Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 07/24/08 at 10:58:25

why.  because i ride with a two position throttle.  wot. and closed.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #20 - 07/24/08 at 11:12:45

I think a better way to think about it not our bikes get such bad mileage.  It's that the Yaris doesn't get any better mileage than it does.  When I was in college I drove a 1976 Corolla who's specs are roughly equivalent to the Yaris.  It got a consistent 25 mpg in mostly city driving.   It had a 2-barrel progressive carb, no engine mangement, etc and yet only got 4 or 5 worse mpg.

I wonder how good the Savage/S40 would be with a ODB-II fuel-injection system. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #21 - 07/24/08 at 12:45:12

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/24/08 at 11:12:45:
I...When I was in college I drove a 1976 Corolla who's specs are roughly equivalent to the Yaris.  It got a consistent 25 mpg in mostly city driving. ...

In '70-72 I had a '67 Triumph Spitfire, 1300 cc, twin SU carbs.  Drove like a madman, city streets with some freeway, consistently OVER 30 mpg.  In fact, I monitored my MPG and would do a tune up when it did drop below 30.  Got rid of the car after I tore the drivetrain a second time.  (When you go airborne you really should get off the accelerator.)  

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 07/24/08 at 12:48:08

When I went to visit Versalgen I filled up before and after.  For the 70 miles freeway + 10 miles street I got 62 mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #23 - 07/24/08 at 12:52:49

Understanding fuel consumption characteristics is beyond a simple posting.

Engines burn a mixture of air and fuel.  So, how much fuel you burn to produce a given horsepower is a function of how much air/fuel is going thru the engine, the mixture setting (rich or lean) and the rpm of the engine.

For instance, in piston airplanes with constant speed props, you can increase power production by either increasing rpm, or what's called "manifold pressure", which is the amount for fuel/air being shoved thru the intake manifold, or by increasing both rpm and manifold pressure.  Throttle controls manifold pressure in such an airplane.

Our bike and car engines don't have a way to control rpm independent of manifold pressure.  So the only things we can do relate to throttle setting and mixture.  We already know that the mixture on a Savage/S40 is too lean to begin with.

Hence, since throttle setting controls rpm, the only practical way to increase mileage is to reduce rpm.  Remember that the engine is burning fuel each time the piston goes down on the power stroke, so we need to reduce the number of power strokes, or rpm, per mile.

You could do that by running at a slower engine speed by running at a slower vehicle speed.  That's why the best mileage is obtained at the minimum speed to run in 5th gear effortlessly, without lugging.
But better, you could reduce rpm by going to higher gearing, so you get more rpm of the rear wheel, and hence more distance traveled, for a given engine rpm.

However, we all know that higher gearing results in poorer acceleration, so gearing ratios are a engineering design compromise (as every machine is) between the desire for acceleration, and efficient engine rpm at cruising speed.  You can't have both at once.

To improve the mileage of any piston powered vehicle, just gear it up (assuming engine displacement remains constant).  Since there is no free lunch, you'll pay for that with slower acceleration.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #24 - 07/24/08 at 21:48:02

barry68v10
"If you've ever disassembled the petcock, you'll begin to see why.  The screen at the bottom of the RES side, only feeds the RES setting and not both.  It's about 1/2" to 1" lower than the PRI/ON setting screen.  (Which IS fed by both.)  The screen will clog from the bottom up, so your RES screen gets plugged up first with debris and varnish.  You should be able to remedy that by cleaning the screen.  I could never drain my tank below about 1/2" of fuel, but then I removed the internal screen and replaced it with an external fuel filter.  Now I can ride until my tank is BONE DRY.    (But I no longer have a "reserve tank".)

Sometimes that's a good thing....sometimes it's not."

Do you have pics? I'm not sure I could go without a reserve, but I would be interested in seeing what you've done. Thanks.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 07/25/08 at 03:23:21

I agree with Sluggo.  The reason why I get poor gas mileage, used to have to change out a rear tire every other season and had to replace front brake pads frequently had to do with my right wrist and my liking going around corners fast.  Accelerate hard, brake hard.  It is a life-style choice.

Folks who ride 250 Ninjas in Europe have both versions available to them, injected and non-injected, and they ride street and track.

Guess what sort of gas mileage they get on the track --- 30-45 mpg.  This is off a bike that CAN get nearly 90 mpg if ridden "sensibly".

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 07/25/08 at 11:47:02

OK, I just got home from work ... decided to gas up the S40 on the way to see what kinda milage she's turnin' ... this has been all commute Riding ... stop & go with a max speed of 45kph, with 1st thru 4th gears being employed, air temp in the low to mid. 70's since last gas up and roughly 500ft above sea level elevation where I commute (approx 20kms per day), stock factory settings on the carb and fuel/air mixture ... and I weigh approx. 140lbs

approx. 3.52 liters (0.93 US Gal.) of fuel for approx. 81kms (50mi) = approx. 53 mpg

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Reply #27 - 07/25/08 at 17:48:10

I think it's the fuel companies controlling vehicle production.

LOL!

One thing I've learned, I noticed it in a couple truck I owned and I've noticed it with bikes... If a vehicle has a "small" motor, but has to carry a heavy load it, it will have to work harder than the same vehicle with a larger motor. For example, I've owned two Dodge Rams, one a 318ci the other a 360ci. The 360 got 2mpg better, and i believe it's because it didn't have to work as hard as the 318 to power the truck along.
Another example, the reference to the 550lb 1700cc chopper... The 1700 V twin is probably barely idling (sarcasm) at highway speeds. If our 650 single was powering that bike I guarentee the bike would get worse mileage than it does with the 1700.
I've noticed the same thing when researching Kawasaki KLR models. The KLR 250 has almost 1/3 or whatever the displacement as the 650, but has to work that much harder than the 650 hence they get almost the same mpg.
I don't know if that makes sense, but it's something that I've kind of figured out over time. It seems like an equal tradeoff, and basically comes down to power to weight ratios. The Savage seems like it's right in the middle, not a ton of power/displacement, but not too little either. I'm happy with it and I think we all should be.

But seriously, I think it is the fuel companies.  Tongue

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 07/26/08 at 02:03:07

Edit to my fuel consumption post above ... max speed should've read 65 kph NOT 45 kph ... Embarrassed

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #29 - 07/26/08 at 18:36:50

Took a spin from St. John's to Carbonear, Nfld. (and back) to check out the annual Relic Riders MC Show n' Shine today ... combination of highway, and secondary coastal bi-way, very little stop n' go, speeds averaged 60-70kph on a guess ... gassed-up before leaving St. John's and again before returning from Carbonear ... 3.55 liters (0.94 US Gal.) for 101km (62.6mi) = 66.7 mpg! Not bad at all!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why don't we get better MPG?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.