Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why don't we get better MPG? (Read 603 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Why don't we get better MPG?
07/23/08 at 02:52:43

OK. I want to know why we don't get better MPG. For that matter, why all motorcycles don't get better MPG.
Take for example a Toyoto Yaris. Curb weight 2290lbs, a 1.5 liter engine, and 29/35MPG.
Our Savages are under 400 pounds wet, with a 0.65 liter engine, and we get somewhere in the neighborhood of 55-60mpg stock. WHY?!

I realize that factory estimates of MPG don't factor in certain variables, and nowhere is that more apparent than on motorcycles; weight of the rider, flex of the right wrist, mods, etc., but a stock factory to stock factory comparrison still leaves us on the short end. I mean, the Yaris weighs six times the Savage, but only gets half the mileage. Put the opposite, the Savage weighs one sixth the Yaris but only gets double the mileage. Shouldn't it be more????

I'm no engineer, so I appeal to you who know far more than I to help me understand this. (Especially when I can't get my wrist to behave and get only 45mpg. Wink)
Thanks

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Why don't we get better MPG?
Reply #1 - 07/23/08 at 05:24:57

It can probably mostly be explained by air resistance, a naked cruiser with a rider is not the smoothest shape (think raindrop) travelling through the air. My Concours with almost three times the HP gets over 40 mpg under exactly the same conditions that my Savage averaged 52 mpg - not fair to compare the Concours' overall mpg (44) to the Savage's because of several long trips on the Concours. As I said, under the same condition there's about a 20% difference, should be a lot more, but the Concours has a full fairing, the Savage was stock.

The rest of the explanation is just that MC manufacturers and buyers (US at least) in the past have not used gas mileage as a purchasing point. This is one of the reasons that you can't find a lot of the smaller engine models for sale in the US.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - 07/23/08 at 05:54:24

I know what you mean about poor mileage on the Savage. I have a 120HP,1639 cc chopper that is not one bit aerodynamic, with a 45mm carb, weighs 550lbs, and it gets 50-55 MPG. To me that makes no sense what so ever.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 07/23/08 at 05:56:44

Another consideration is the Savage is an entirely mechanical engine.  Fuel delivery is done with vacuum pressure and metered by stationary flow jets.  The Yaris is fuel injected, with an engine management computer.  It can detect A/F ratios and adjust fuel metering to compensate, thus always maintaining optimal efficiency.  The Savage's carb has to be manually tuned and cannot automatically compensate for barometric pressure, huidity, and temperature changes. What may be an optimal A/F ratio one day does not apply the next.

To be sure, getting 50+mpg is agood thing.  Yes, you could get ALOT better with fuel injection (my C50 is delivering about 52mpg) but the additional cost and complexity would change the nature of Savage irrepairibly.  It's a simple, inexpensive bike that just about anybody who remembers righty-tighty, lefty-loosey can maintain.  My C50 requires a diagnostic computer and major disassembly to get to anything.  

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/23/08 at 06:25:08

The s40 would get a lot better if it weren't geared so low,turns more rpms then it needs to.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/23/08 at 06:48:40

bill67 wrote on 07/23/08 at 06:25:08:
  The s40 would get a lot better if it weren't geared so low,turns more rpms then it needs to.

Agreed with Bill on this one.    I really wish Suzuki would come out with a bolt on kit (new rear sprocket, maybe a belt and a speedo adapter) to get slightly better MPG.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/23/08 at 06:48:52

All great answers, and I thank you.
mornhm,
I had not considered the aerodynamic differences to be a negative factor for the motorcycle. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Hutch,
Hang on to that chopper, man. That's great MPG! Especially for that size engine.

skrapiron,
So it kinda makes it an unfair apples to oranges comparrison, doesn't it? I hadn't thought of weather beyond a headwind. It would, and does, wreak havoc with a carb. You're also right about changing anything on the bike, it wouldn't be a Savage anymore, and I couldn't love it like I do.

bill67,
See, that's the kind of thing I just never think of. I listened to my motor on the way home, became really aware of when I was changing gears, the subtle differences in RPM. It does tend to run more like a hummingbird, doesn't it? That would chew up gas!

WOW, thanks guys. It makes sense. Motorbikes could be changed to offer up more MPG, but they'd run the risk of not being motorbikes anymore, wouldn't they?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/23/08 at 07:27:37

power to weight ratios??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/23/08 at 09:26:00

If I remember correctly, resistance to air goes up by the square of the velocity of the moving object....IF I remember correctly.  So you can see what the effects of aerodynamics has on MPG.

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #9 - 07/23/08 at 09:33:18

Compared to the 16 mpg I was getting on the highway with my truck that I sold to get the bike, I'm LOVING the 65mpg I'm getting with the S40. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/23/08 at 12:31:14

I think the sprocket ratio is the biggest factors because some folks have gotten much better at a 45-50 mph pace, I think I saw a claim of 70 here once.  I wwould consider the chain conversion, but I do like the belt, an extra tooth up front and maybe 2 less out back would sure change things.  A swoopy fairing would help problem #2, wind resistance.  Fuel injection would only give a marginal mileage improvement, but would be far better for driveability. IMO.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #11 - 07/23/08 at 13:00:12

Most bikes I've owned have gotten between 38 and 42 mpg regardless of engine config or size.  My Savage gets 49 mpg most of the time.  I'm happy enough with that.

IP Logged
ChicagoRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago suburbs
Reply #12 - 07/23/08 at 19:19:57

I too have wondered why the Savage's MPG is so meager when compared to much heavier bikes.

Skrapiron's response about the lack of fuel injected/computer is right on the money.  The antiquated carburetion is the main culprit.

Considering the Savage's low cost its no surpise its so bare bones.  You pay for what you get.

I ain't complaining though, I ride my 2007 Savage to work daily and average 54MPG.

I burn only 2 gallons of gas a week, cost is $8 weekly, gotta love it.  Grin

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #13 - 07/23/08 at 23:12:43

Most injected bikes get worse mpg than the carbed versions they replaced. They can be sorted however for better fuel economy.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 07/24/08 at 00:26:59

With my original '03 Savage, I got approx. 68-70mpg on a couple of Rides that were a steady hour to hour-and-a-half at 40-50mph ... haven't checked to see what my S40 is doing (yet) ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why don't we get better MPG?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.